Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty repair/replacement.

Options
  • 10-02-2010 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello. I bought a laptop from USA recently and unfortunately it was dead on arrival. So i had to send it back for warranty replacement or repair. What i am worried now is the tax. Will i be forced to pay the import tax for the second time? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Essonimex wrote: »
    Hello. I bought a laptop from USA recently and unfortunately it was dead on arrival. So i had to send it back for warranty replacement or repair. What i am worried now is the tax. Will i be forced to pay the import tax for the second time? Thanks in advance.

No you won't have to pay for it a second time. The sender needs to label it as warranty repairs and that should get it through. If it doesn't you can reclaim the second duty by contacting the revenue and outlining the situation. It can take a few weeks but customs overcharges are refunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Essonimex

Thankyou for the input. Do you speak from experience, knowledge or is that a guess?

Either way, made me feel better. Thanks. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Thankyou for the input. Do you speak from experience, knowledge or is that a guess?

Check the Warranty .. alot of laptops (Apple as an example) come with a 1 year worldwide limited warranty.

If so you can contact their local number and give the serial number for repair.

Sending it all the way back to the US to the store would incur a cost on your part.

Better trying to get it serviced locally first.

Also, check the power adapter is 110/220V if its only 110 (it probably isnt) or has a switch on it, it would have popped as soon as you plugged it in.

The adapter was fine. The graphics card was unstable, weird artifacts and glitchy screen. Since i bought from a reseller and had the laptop customized (thermal paste, some upgrades) they take over the warranty. The shipping itself doesnt cost me as they pay for it. The tax is what i was worried about. Thanks for all the input tho. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The adapter was fine. The graphics card was unstable, weird artifacts and glitchy screen. Since i bought from a reseller and had the laptop customized (thermal paste, some upgrades) they take over the warranty. The shipping itself doesnt cost me as they pay for it. The tax is what i was worried about. Thanks for all the input tho. ^^

Coola boola.

Just as long as you have the receipt from Courier company or the Revenue for VAT Declaration you'll be grand, i had to send a display back to the states for LCD replacement and i was grand once I faxed the receipt that i had paid to DHL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Experience - I once had to pay a lot higher than expected customs charge because the value had been incorrectly declared by the shipper as being 10 times higher than I had paid for it. Needed it right away for a present so had to pay the customs charge and then go through the process of applying for refund which was given with no hassle once I wrote a letter explaining it and attached the original invoice.

So i will need proof? What receipt? I ordered the unit through paypal, so i dont have any physical proof of purchase.

Advertisement