Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy help???going away!

Options
  • 10-02-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Thanks for all the advice on my last thread. As ye know I got a JRT puppy last week, she will be 8 weeks old this week. She is doing brilliantly and is almost completely toilet trained much to my delight, never misses her paper! :D

The thing is my partner had booked a hotel break for us for Valentines before we got the puppy. We tried to cancel it today but will lose what he paid for it. Now were in a really bad position as don't want to leave the puppy but we definitely cannot bring her.

My brother has offered to come down and look after her but to be honest don't feel too secure leaving her with him, don't get me wrong, he is great to dogs but she is just so small and needs alot of looking after. I was wondering does anyone know of any other alternatives for puppy sitting etc?? She has had her vaccinations but needs to get the rest in 3 weeks time so I know she cannot board in a kennel.
    Any help is much appreciated guys...Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I dont think any kennel would let you leave a puppy in without full vacinations (I think 2/3 weeks after last ones before it would be safe) and any that would, I'd be very careful about using them.

your best bet would be to get someone to petsit in your house or in theirs as long as they dont have another dog. obviously someone you trust to mind her as good as you would. esp as she is so tiny.

best of luck...any pics?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If she's not finished her vacs yet, no place will take her I'm afraid.
    Your best option is a relative or friend to stay in the house, or for her to go to them.
    I know the kennels I use won't take pups under 14 weeks, although she did take my youngest at just over 12 weeks last year when I had an emergency(and kept her in her bedroom at night, 'cos she was just a baby:D). But she was fully vac'd and kennel cough vac'd.
    I'd go for the brothers offer, I know how you feel, once let my brother walk one of mine and told him strict rules or I'd have his first born, its worse than a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I dont think any kennel would let you leave a puppy in without full vacinations (I think 2/3 weeks after last ones before it would be safe) and any that would, I'd be very careful about using them.

your best bet would be to get someone to petsit in your house or in theirs as long as they dont have another dog. obviously someone you trust to mind her as good as you would. esp as she is so tiny.

best of luck...any pics?!

Thanks TillyGirl, was thinking boarding was out of the question. Would love to drop her home to my parents but they have a JRT already and a pitbull so that's a no go area. Hopefully someone does pet sitting out there, trying to find someone reliable is the problem! I'll try put a pic up :)

Looks like Im gonna have to opt for the brother mymo..fingers crossed for me...and ruby!!:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

ohhh she is gorgeous. I know what its like when you get them first, we have a mini yorkie she is nearly two was so tiny when we got her it was so easy for her to get hurt its harder than a baby! she is massive now btw, about 8 inches high!

best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Oh my god gorgeous! Where are you going for the weekend? Your pup's best off in her own house where you can guarantee that she's safe from infection / parvo etc.

Your brother will be fine, just leave him really detailed instructions, then trust him and go enjoy yourself!

Thanks CreedonsDogDayCare, Going to Cork from saturday until monday, Charleville I think. Oh he will be well informed what to do alrite, trouble is he is very fond of the Playstation and my gut tells me he won't move very far from it all weekend! :)

Your website is ffab by the way! Possibly moving to cork in the next few months so will definitely keep ye in mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Your website is ffab by the way! Possibly moving to cork in the next few months so will definitely keep ye in mind :)

Thanks!! Gotta make lots of changes to the site now though, because I've finally secured a perfect premises and will be opening very soon!

Re:your brother, just send him a text every few hours, but chances are he won't be able to tear himself away from the little puppy to go near the computer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Don't forget to get the pup a kennel cough shot when he gets his last injections, and also when he gets his yearly boosters, as he'll need this if you ever need to leave him in kennels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement