Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus v Droid v Hero

• 10-02-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has experience using the NexusOne or the Motorola Droid... i'm planning on splashing out and have come down to these two..

I like like the idea of the threaded messages (available on both), but have reservations about not having 'predictive' text on a device. Its a big plus on the Hero and the main reason im considering the hero - i've heard reception is poor on it though so thats putting me off! Does anyone know what reception levels are like with the Motorola or Nexus?

all opinions welcome but please dont recommend the iphone - i have no interest :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

yak wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has experience using the NexusOne or the Motorola Droid... i'm planning on splashing out and have come down to these two..

I like like the idea of the threaded messages (available on both), but have reservations about not having 'predictive' text on a device. Its a big plus on the Hero and the main reason im considering the hero - i've heard reception is poor on it though so thats putting me off! Does anyone know what reception levels are like with the Motorola or Nexus?

all opinions welcome but please dont recommend the iphone - i have no interest :-)

reception on nexus is good. i have been told my voice is amazing clear even when in a very loud crowd, with music playing. the two mic of nexus are apparently doing a very good job.
    theres a bigger/more complete thread on nexus, you might want to join there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The Nexus One does have "predictive" text, as in it will correct mis-hit/misspelt words and also suggest complete words before you have finished typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Baza210 wrote: »
    The Nexus One does have "predictive" text, as in it will correct mis-hit/misspelt words and also suggest complete words before you have finished typing.

So does the Hero.

Some of the key differences Ive noticed are around performance and speed. The Droid and Nexus One have 1Ghz processors, Droid has 512MB RAM, Nexus One 256MB. The Hero has 528Mhz processor, which I find ok, but when you have multiple applications open, can slow down slightly.

I like the Nexus One touch sensitive menu, sometimes I find the Hero buttons non responsive. I also like the much larger 3.7" screen on the Nexus One.

I did hold a Nexus One there the other day (friend in Google got one). He was VERY lucky to get it back. Its so pretty. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

I've had a G1, a Hero and now a Nexus (Google Employee) and have to say that the Nexus is exceptionally good.

As I mentioned in another thread, the UI on the Hero looks really good as HTC Sense is pretty tasty, but Android 1.5 is nowhere near Android 2.1 in terms of responsiveness.

Reception on the Nexus is similar to the Hero, i.e. very good - I found the reception on the G1 to be very poor in some parts of the country - Dublin included!

So does the Hero.
    Where did I say it did not? I was simply countering the implication in the original post that the Hero was the only phone of the three that had "predictive" text.
    The Droid and Nexus One have 1Ghz processors
    Milestone* : ARM Cortex A8 550 MHz
    Nexus One : Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8250 1 GHz processor
    Droid has 512MB RAM, Nexus One 256MB.
    Milestone : 256 MB RAM
    Nexus One : 512 MB RAM

*AKA DROID (CDMA version which won't work in Ireland)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Looking to get a good smart phone to replace my sub-par 5800.

I'm prepay, so I need it unlocked and preferably brand-free.

From looking on ebay, specifically a company I've used before, the prices (delivered + 1 yr warranty) are:

Hero €375
    Milestone €430
    Nexus €560

I'm leaning towards the Milestone. The Nexus looks great but I don't know if I want to spend that much on it.

I'd like to get silicon covers and a windscreen mount for whatever one I get.

There seems to be lots of accessories for the Hero, but very little for the Milestone (possible because of the slide out keyboard).

With Android 2.1 on the Hero, is the Milestone worth the extra money, or is the Nexus worth the extra money on top of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

iv got the hero and im more then pleased with how it runs, a bit laggy sometimes but hopefully 2.0 or 2.1 will sort that out. Its a joy to use and when it comes to texting and using the keyboard, a few days of letting the handset get used to words you use thats not in its dictionary and you'll be flying.

I would go with the Milestone given those prices. I do miss hardware buttons on my Nexus One at times.

steve_ wrote: »
    Its a joy to use

This is an important aspect. The 5800 is just a pain in my arse to use. Simple scrolling of the main menu is slow and the on-board keyboard is poor.

Actually, what sat nav software is available for the Milestone?

GSM Arena mention Motonav software under GPS. Is this a trial version?

Have Google released their turn by turn navigation yet?

Any offline (pre downloaded maps) solutions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Baza210 wrote: »
    Where did I say it did not? I was simply countering the implication in the original post that the Hero was the only phone of the three that had "predictive" text.

Apologies, I misread the part in the first post. My bad.

I've read that Android phones seem to have an "always on" data connection.

Can you set the phone to prompt you before any part of it tries to access the internet (mobile or Wifi). Or possibly there is an app which does this?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    From looking on ebay, specifically a company I've used before, the prices (delivered + 1 yr warranty) are:

Hero €375
    Milestone €430
    Nexus €560

Can you please provide the link to that seller as they look like very competitive prices. Thanks. :D

Pikasso wrote: »
    Can you please provide the link to that seller as they look like very competitive prices. Thanks. :D

http://stores.shop.ebay.ie/E-Cell-Global

I've read that Android phones seem to have an "always on" data connection.

Can you set the phone to prompt you before any part of it tries to access the internet (mobile or Wifi). Or possibly there is an app which does this?

I've been using 'APNDroid' on the Nexus One, it's available from the Market and automatically edits the APN settings so that you can't connect to mobile data.

From what I've heard, editing the APN is the only way to really be sure that mobile data is not being used, there are so many synch settings hidden away that it would be a pain to try to switch them on and off individually.

Actually, what sat nav software is available for the Milestone?

GSM Arena mention Motonav software under GPS. Is this a trial version?

Have Google released their turn by turn navigation yet?

Any offline (pre downloaded maps) solutions?

Should have answered this in the last post!

I'm currently using Google Maps Navigation which is available on Maps 4.0 (To be publicly released soon, from what I hear)

Before that I was using AndNav 2, which lets you navigate using mobile data or store maps to the SD card for offline use. Offline caching is very useful for downloading city maps for other countries since the cost of roaming data makes it a non-runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I'm currently using Google Maps Navigation which is available on Maps 4.0 (To be publicly released soon, from what I hear)
    Do you know/Can you say if Maps 4.0 has offline maps?

ceejay wrote: »
    Do you know/Can you say if Maps 4.0 has offline maps?

Not on the one I have anyway! That's not to say it won't happen though, although the vast majority of Google products seem to work on the assumption that you will always have data connection.

The HTC HD2 for 400-450 looks a good buy.

I know Windows Mobile is gay etc etc. But if you look at the xda developer forums, there's a massive amount of user made development, custom roms etc. Plus there seems to be much more useful software for Windows Mobile.

After reading many reviews, looking at many videos, and seeing the available software / apps, I fail to see why Android is so great.

Well personally I love the way it handles my Gmail and Gtalk. I would like it to run applications natively though as I feel the Java VM is preventing it running at maximum speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Nexus €560

A mate picked up a N1 for me in the States recently and posted it over. The price came to €425 inlcuding postage.

Advertisement