Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Broadband Question?

• 10-02-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me out please? I recently installed Eircom BB, after getting rid of 3G. I have a wireless enabled laptop, so my question is this, when i press the disconnect button on the icon on my laptop, does this shut off the broadband signal so i dont get charged for being online? Or do i have to this plus, turn off the modem downstairs at my phone outlet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

If you have eircom broadband ... you should be paying a fixed fee every month or something for unlimited use ? Well not fully unlimited use I imagine there are download limits and once you go over the download limit you are charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

When you say Eircom BB I'm assuming you've switched from a 3G wireless dongle type product to a Router with aeriel plugged into your phoneline, right?

Ok, I'm assuming that you are connecting to the broadband Router over WiFi from your laptop, and have no other computer, and that you have the proper security in place (did you enter a key number to your laptop when you first connected?):

Once your laptop WiFi is off there isn't any significant data going along the connection to Eircom.

There may be tiny amounts of data about the connection, and also sometimes updates to the box itself, but nothing signficant.

It is still open, but idle. So there is little point switching the box on your phone line off, unless saving electric is important to you.

Having said that, if you have not got proper security in place switching off the box would prevent someone else from using up your allowance.

How much is your allowance? You might not be getting near it. Most people don't.

WildeFalcon.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

When you say Eircom BB I'm assuming you've switched from a 3G wireless dongle type product to a Router with aeriel plugged into your phoneline, right?

Ok, I'm assuming that you are connecting to the broadband Router over WiFi from your laptop, and have no other computer, and that you have the proper security in place (did you enter a key number to your laptop when you first connected?):

Once your laptop WiFi is off there isn't any significant data going along the connection to Eircom.

There may be tiny amounts of data about the connection, and also sometimes updates to the box itself, but nothing signficant.

It is still open, but idle. So there is little point switching the box on your phone line off, unless saving electric is important to you.

Having said that, if you have not got proper security in place switching off the box would prevent someone else from using up your allowance.

How much is your allowance? You might not be getting near it. Most people don't.

WildeFalcon.

Thanks for the reply guys. Yep its connected via a router and when i set up with the CD yesterday, i had to type in the Eircom no and a security no. Do i have to type that security no each time? My friend set me up, so im unsure at the momentas to my allowance as i dont have the doc's to hand,but i literally use it for google, mail, f/book, and utube?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Maximus_Laggus

Need more info. What is the package you signed up for? If its the timed package e.g. 10 hours per month i'd change it to an always on package. Time limited BB packages, in my opinion, sucks donkey goolies and defeats the purpose of always on broadband. This is an Irish only thing as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Maximus_Laggus

MonicaBing wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply guys. Yep its connected via a router and when i set up with the CD yesterday, i had to type in the Eircom no and a security no. Do i have to type that security no each time? My friend set me up, so im unsure at the momentas to my allowance as i dont have the doc's to hand,but i literally use it for google, mail, f/book, and utube?

You dont need to key in the No.s again btw. It should be just a one off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

MonicaBing wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out please? I recently installed Eircom BB, after getting rid of 3G. I have a wireless enabled laptop, so my question is this, when i press the disconnect button on the icon on my laptop, does this shut off the broadband signal so i dont get charged for being online? Or do i have to this plus, turn off the modem downstairs at my phone outlet?

Heya if you haven't changed the wireless key since you've recieved the router I would highly advise that you do so asap as the default eircom wep key can be cracked in seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭FLievre

OD = On Demand, so if your laptop is associated to the AP (router) if any applications needs a connection in order to work it will download/upload automatically. Only way around is to turn off the wireless on the laptop (Should have a switch somewhere) or turn off the router.
    But as others said prior to this, Eircom use a fixed monthly subscription system.

Advertisement