Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aughrim - what's it like to live there?

• 10-02-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi

My husband likes the idea of us moving to Aughrim. I have stayed there before, but don't know much about there, other then it won the tidy towns competition and that it is quite picturesque.

If anyone can help with some info on the place I would much appreciate it. I have a toddler and a young baby, so I need to keep them very much in mind.

Questions..
    Is there much to do in Aughrim?
    Is it a safe area?
    Is it friendly to new people?
    What are the primary schools like?
    Which secondary schools do most children move onto?
    Does the winter weather really curtail life in Aughrim?
    What is internet access like?
    Any other info???

Cheers :):):)
    Pix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maria gstones

I suppose like anywhere it depends where you would be moving from as to what can be considered as "much to do". As small towns go, there is a good bit to get involved in,
    Aughrim have a GAA club with a mens football team and a hurling team. they used to have a camogie team, but not sure if they still do, wicklow camogie isn't as successful. The juviniles play with Annacurra, the closest village to Aughrim just down the road.
    There is a soccer club too, aughrim rangers.
    Arklow is only about 15min drive and that has alot of clubs/sports/cinema etc.
    There is a badminton club in annacurra, not sure about aughrim, and there are definitely cards - whist/25/45 played locally if you are into that. There is a bowls club in annacurra too.
    There are a few pubs in aughrim and one in annacurra and they can be lively enough on occassion. People would go out in Tinahely/Arklow/Rathdrum either, there would usually be taxis going on a sat but it would depend on the week.
    As regard schools there is no secondary school in aughrim. There is a mixed school in rathdrum and in carnew but the majority would probably go to the school in arklow. Alot of my cousins live in the general aughrim area and generally like it there. They would have gone to different schools so I can't tell you where most people so.
    I don't live there so I can't tell you all that definiatively, but alot of the questions below depends where abouts in aughrim you chose to live. The broadband would vary alot within the area. In general it's a safe area but if you are living in the coutryside and you are not used to it, it might take a while to get used to walking without the street lights etc. Winter weather does not curtail life, it has snowed the last couple of years but you would adjust, and get used to it. It doesn't snow every year.
    Aughrim is a large area with rural and not so rural parts to the town. It has some walking routes in the area, and is very close to glenmalure and other parts of the wicklow way. there are definiely some hillwalking groups in the area too. hope that helps.
    The best thing to do would be to talk to the estate agent in Aughrim. The people working there are from the locallity so they could anwser all the questions below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

And of course, if you're into off road driving, you'd be very close to the 3000 acres of forest that http://leinster4x4.ie have in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Hi again!

Thanks a mill for all the info- it sounds good.

Whats the best route to travel to Aughrim from the N11, traveling from South Dublin? Routefinder suggests going via Redcross ..is via Arklow any better or via Rathdrum?

I'm also wondering if anyone knows the average cost of montessori or creche down that direction? I'm just trying to gauge if the cost of living would be much cheaper..

Any other info would also be much appreciated.

Thanks again!
    Pix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Abrean

Via Rathdrum would be your best bet.

Sorry no children so cant help with the cost of a creche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

Pixied wrote: »
    Hi again!

Thanks a mill for all the info- it sounds good.

Whats the best route to travel to Aughrim from the N11, traveling from South Dublin? Routefinder suggests going via Redcross ..is via Arklow any better or via Rathdrum?

I'm also wondering if anyone knows the average cost of montessori or creche down that direction? I'm just trying to gauge if the cost of living would be much cheaper..

Any other info would also be much appreciated.

Thanks again!
    Pix

I would go via Rathdrum.
    And if you're planning on commuting to Dublin, id be more concerned with the price of petrol than the creche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Cheers. Really appreciate the info.

Is that route to Aughrim via Rathdrum, taken via the wicklow exit off the n11?
    Also, how long on average, during the day would it take to travel that route? I would not be commuting for work, just need to travel to Cabinteely sometimes for other purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

Pixied wrote: »
    Cheers. Really appreciate the info.

Is that route to Aughrim via Rathdrum, taken via the wicklow exit off the n11?
    Also, how long on average, during the day would it take to travel that route? I would not be commuting for work, just need to travel to Cabinteely sometimes for other purposes.

Should be about an hour from cabinteely outside rush hour. Turn off the N11 at Rathnew and head for Glenealy - Rathdrum - Aughrim.

Advertisement