Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peoples opinion?

Options
  • 10-02-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I started my arts degree in UCD this year as a mature student and its going well, I've been doing well academically and i have a few mates who are mature students themselves, however lately ive been feeling like im letting an opportunity for fun and just a small bit of madness slip by. Im nearly 25 which puts me, i feel, smack bang in between the mad, young partygoers and the wiser, slightly older group that just like to head in, get their work done and head back to their own lives. Im in no way complaining but i never experienced the crazy college life and ive been kinda feeling lately that i might have been wrong to content myself with the quiet life when im young enough still to be doing this stuff.

My question is to all you mature students. How did you approach college life? Did you get stuck in and do the silly college stuff or were you happy enough knowing that you were past that part of your life and just did your own thing?

Sorry for the essay but any insight would be highly appreciated. This is all new to me still.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

If you want to do what the other younger students do, then fire ahead. There's nothing stopping you.

I started college in September and I'm nearly 25 as well. However I've never had any desire to be a mad partygoer. I do understand what you mean about feeling a bit in-between though. Sometimes it's kind of like being in your mid-teens where you're neither an adult nor a child. But then in another way it's good, because you can still sort of get along with both groups. Or at least that's what I find. I'm lucky in that there are quite a few others around my age in my classes. But I regularly chat to people in their 40s and in their teens. It doesn't really matter what age you are. Common ground can be found with people of any age, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I know how you feel Dr Gonzo Im a similar age slightly older mature student, and went through the same thought process as yourself.
    But I looked at it like this, if your approached to go out with classmates then make your choice whether you will or wont, and be prepared to be left out of the clique and deal with it if not.

Its a tricky situation, I know exactly what you mean though. You want to create a gap (6-7yr age divide) but not be entirely out of the loop :pac:
    in a course like arts though you can get lost and not noticed which can be great if you dont want to get involved in the 'silliness' but Im in an 'intimate' size course where everyone knows everyone so its alot trickier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Yeh youre absolutely right about Arts Me@UCD. Up until now its been great cause i wasn't interested so you never get hassled but its working against me now because at the same time theres no impetus for me to get out of my comfort zone. I have no problem interacting with people, thankfully im doing grand socially as it is but it seems like if i wanted to start being more social with the general student body it would be really full on which i dont want either. Gah, awkwardness!

I guess clubs and socs are the way to go? Joined a few that didnt work out but i'll make a better effort of them in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You are not even 25. You are young.

Go nuts. :)

Seriously, when are you going to get such an opportunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

If I get accepted as a Mature student and get into college in September, I will be 26. I never actually gave the social aspect of college a thought until now.

I've never been through third level and I guess I really want to well in it as that's why I'm going now, what with no jobs and no real qualifications behind me. So I will be giving the silliness a miss for the first few months anyway until I get settled in. I do like my nights out with mates now though, so I can't see myself becoming a recluse anytime soon either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

This thread could've been written by me! :)
    I'm back to college in my late 20's, feel completely out of the loop socially.
    I'm a (dare I say) really young mature student, everyone at college thought I was just out of school and I feel like I'm still 18 myself in many ways. it's like being in some kind of limbo between the 18 year olds and the older married settled types.
    I've a few mates similar in age but they have no interest in going out. Each to their own and all that but it's really frustrating at the same time!

fifomania wrote: »
    This thread could've been written by me! :)
    I'm back to college in my late 20's, feel completely out of the loop socially.
    I'm a (dare I say) really young mature student, everyone at college thought I was just out of school and I feel like I'm still 18 myself in many ways. it's like being in some kind of limbo between the 18 year olds and the older married settled types.
    I've a few mates similar in age but they have no interest in going out. Each to their own and all that but it's really frustrating at the same time!

Yeh thats it exactly, my friends are the same as they have families etc. I do have my own set of friends outside college so its not even new friends im after but theres definitely something to be said for just letting loose in college from the looks of it, As Tom Dunne says rightly, when do we really get this oppertunity in life?

What year are you in fifomania?

Exactly! I want to enjoy being back at college and do as much as I can while I'm here. Especially going out! ;) I'm in first year, what about you?

Exactly! I want to enjoy being back at college and do as much as I can while I'm here. Especially going out! ;) I'm in first year, what about you?

First year also, long road ahead yet, and the same as yourself, want to make sure i get the most out of it while its going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

Hey thanks just saw this thread now. am in the exact same boat. was thinking about going to that mature students lunch on on Thursday you guys should come along too, maybe a few of us could organise to go for a drink in the student bar some day as I still haven't been there yet which is quite pathetic!
    I just got a pm about it, its on this Thursday, in the Blue Room in the Student Centre, which is the largest upstairs room, above the Astra Hall. 12:30 to 2:30 I'm gonna head over bout 1.30. Might see you there!

• Advertisement

gudbuzz wrote: »
    Hey thanks just saw this thread now. am in the exact same boat. was thinking about going to that mature students lunch on on Thursday you guys should come along too, maybe a few of us could organise to go for a drink in the student bar some day as I still haven't been there yet which is quite pathetic!
    I just got a pm about it, its on this Thursday, in the Blue Room in the Student Centre, which is the largest upstairs room, above the Astra Hall. 12:30 to 2:30 I'm gonna head over bout 1.30. Might see you there!
    What college is this in??

What college is this in??

Thats UCD, the Mature Student Soc is well run i have to say, theres always something going on in fairness to them. Unfortunately however i always have class when the lunches are on so ive only been once, however a mature student night in the bar sounds class.

Advertisement