Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the worst ripped up road in Galway?

Options
  • 10-02-2010 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Where's the wors(h)t ripped up road in Galway? :mad:

My 3rd place is the stretch from Moycullen to bushypark....theres the bad stretch of about 500 yards where the surface is all ripped to sh**e, that shake the guts out of a car.

2nd Place goes to across from the texaco in Moycullen. The cuts across the road are like blackholes that suck the suspension out of the car.

Number 1 goes to the 'the evil twins'. This duo are located at the front of royal tara in Mervue.... Going from the Thermo King traffic lights towards Dawn dairies. You can't avoid them, cos the road is so narrow, They're on either side of the road and about 4inches deep. You could throw a wheelbarrow of turf inta wan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Try going through the town of Gort (see earlier posts) and that has to be the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Gort was fierce even before the floods and frost ripped the guts out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭LowOdour

ArraMusha wrote: »

My 3rd place is the stretch from Moycullen to bushypark....theres the bad stretch of about 500 yards where the surface is all ripped to sh**e, that shake the guts out of a car.

Has always being like that....granted not as bad as it is now but still been fairly crap.

You mentioned moycullen twice, without mentioning the moycullen-barna road....worst that i know of that side of the city. Thank Christ they have started to fix it over the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

lobbyin the local politicians/councillors seems to be the only way the roads will get fixed.

Email bombardment or do like the bucko's did in the 80's with the car tax.:rolleyes:

pothole2.jpg

pothole41.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Gort has horrendously bad roads. It's an absolute disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Galway Rd, Tuam is getting pretty bad by the traffic lights...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

As a van delivery driver who gets to go all over the entire county most weeks, I have to say the worst of the main routes is actually in, yes, you guessed it, Connemara.

The N59 north of Clifden going towards Letterfrack, after the Cleggan Turn. That section, is well, one big crater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I don't suppose Galway CoCo have one of these machines, looks like it could a decent job on a lot of the pot holes (less jobs for the boys though):
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8529964.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I don't suppose Galway CoCo have one of these machines, looks like it could a decent job on a lot of the pot holes (less jobs for the boys though):
    No they have the standard fas shovel. They fill the hole up over the brim and let the cars compress it down.

Dunmore Tuam just outside Dunmore is very bad, There's a hump in the middle of the road where the white line is a few inches above the level of the road that's worn away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

MayoForSam wrote: »

Yes i seen one in action over in Turloughmore early last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The road from outside Dunmore on the way to Tuam as already said is in a terrible state. Sad thing is it was only "fixed" a few months ago and is as bad as ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

a few months ago there was an article in the tuam herald saying that the tar used to tar the roads was too thin and was being ripped up too easily. the dunmore road is so worn down now that is actually less rough then it was a few weeks ago, but its still bad!

The road from outside Dunmore on the way to Tuam as already said is in a terrible state. Sad thing is it was only "fixed" a few months ago and is as bad as ever again.
    And it was "fixed" a few months before that again. This is what really annoys me about the state of the roads, they say they don't have the money and do crap work sometimes twice a year which must end up costing more than doing it right in the first place.

They waste so much needed money on pointless work, the amount of times I've heard road workers saying we're doing this to use up the funds. Why are Councils punished for coming in under budget? It's madness!

I've heard other stories from the road workers where for every one shovel of tar they put in the road they throw another one over the hedge. I was told people working on the new motorway went to management telling them certain parts are failing the tests and they where told to test again and come back with passed results.

With that kind of behavior ingrained in every part of the government we don't stand a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

ArraMusha wrote: »

Number 1 goes to the 'the evil twins'. This duo are located at the front of royal tara in Mervue.... Going from the Thermo King traffic lights towards Dawn dairies. You can't avoid them, cos the road is so narrow, They're on either side of the road and about 4inches deep. You could throw a wheelbarrow of turf inta wan.
    These are lethal. I dread that road!!

I found the road from Carnmore Cross out the way terrible' there was a massive pothole on the left after the lights which was HUGE. Then on the way back in to town, just after the Community centre there are lots of massive potholes on the left. My poor car is battered, and when I turn off to go towards the school in Carnmore, it looks like the moons surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Try the road from Turloughmore to Athenry, :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

mink_man wrote: »
    a few months ago there was an article in the tuam herald saying that the tar used to tar the roads was too thin and was being ripped up too easily. the dunmore road is so worn down now that is actually less rough then it was a few weeks ago, but its still bad!

Good news everyone - this stretch of raod is currently be fixed - due for completion next week. :DSo it will be safe to drive to & from Dunmore.

Shame about the N63 through Moylough - :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

steyr fan wrote: »
    Shame about the N63 through Moylough - :eek:

I hate that road with a passion :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

+1 for Moylough town

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Sham_Lad

The Weir road in Tuam. Worse than Gort - hard to believe but it is!

I have an 09 car and had to get the front suspension fixed ~6 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Had to walk somewhere in Tuam town the other evening and I know there's Roadworks all over the place there at the moment, but I was walking around by the Bank opposite Supermacs and the state the road is in because of the Roadworks is just not funny like, I couldn't believe the ground under-foot. Being from the countryside the state of the roads are kinda just accepted through not a lot of other choice in the matter really lol, but it just hit me, once these Roadworks are gone and job is done we have to contend with serious questionable poor bad road quality left like that because of it. Messy messy, hope it won't still look like there's still Road-works on!! :D:eek::rolleyes:

Travel through Monivea loads of times, seems good enough to me? Used to have go through Gort/Loughrea a lot, Lougrea seeeeeeeeeriously dodgy, to Gort on its own is maneageable, had to drive through Carnmore one night lately, dark n bumpity-bump in the night - loads of pot-holes, was surprised thought would be good road. Milltown-Dunmore unfortunately have proven what they are really like. :(

Don't think I've gone to Athenry from Turloughmore yet. (Is that the road opposite Waterview? I must go down that road for a spin some day.) Have gone from Ballyglunin Cross to Athenry once. (fair bit feather-headed, hadn't realised I'd nearly be in Turlough and then have to turn off and hit for Athenry, was much longer than my other way of going to Athenry! Won't be going that way again! :D ) But no wouldn't recommend that way to Athenry via Ballyglunin/Laraghmore, long-winding and dangerous.

Am very very surprised to hear of N63 through Moylough. I'm finding it very difficult to find anything wrong with that. Turlough-Annagh-Abbey-Moylough. Must be missing something but I actually would have thought the N63 to generally be a great road. :confused: Not altogether brillant like, but a million miles (pardon the pun lol! ) better in terms of Loughrea or such places. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

steyr fan wrote: »
    Good news everyone - this stretch of raod is currently be fixed - due for completion next week. :DSo it will be safe to drive to & from Dunmore.

It's a nice surface now but will it last through the winter this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

My nightmare is the road through Tuam - that patch before and just after the lights. Always feel like I am on a trampoline driving over this patch at any speed - and I drive a newish heavy car :mad:

The pothole up from Carnmore Cross is a b*tch as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Gort has to be the worst, driving past Lady Gregory is like sitting on top of a Kango.

New Dunmore road is finished and looks really well, really smooth lets just hope it lasts the winter but they did put a good thick layer and I've been told the crowd doing it know what they're at.

Tuam is a disaster, they've improved the road management a bit sending the Galway traffic down Gilmartin road but it's a pain if you have to into Martys. There doesn't seem to be one road unaffected by the road works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

996tt wrote: »
    +1 for Moylough town

+1.

I find myself weaving my way through a town trying to avoid the wear on the road while at the same time avoiding oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Moylough village is the pitys

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

+1.

I find myself weaving my way through a town trying to avoid the wear on the road while at the same time avoiding oncoming traffic.
    I have to do something similar on the bicycle when travelling between Moycullen and Dangan (parts of the N59 are hell on a bike).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Calluna

Word has it road through Moylough to be fixed this week....
    One year later.
    Seemingly some dispute between the NRA and County Council.
    They painted new lines on the road last week...between the potholes. Probably had some 'line painting' budget to use up before November. What a joke.

Advertisement