Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race for 4th

• 10-02-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Had to start a thread on this as can't stop thinking about it. Can't decide who I want to win it, but I think I want Liverpool to, which is a very odd feeling. Would prefer Villa or Spurs, but I think we can all see its probably between City and Liverpool.

City have 2 games in hand and could capitalise on them. Mancini seems to be improving them.

Liverpool have been resurgant of late, but more dropped points could make it tougher and tougher. This combined with a ****load of UEFA cup ties coming up, while City has no European matches at all.

I've always maintained I thought Liverpool would get 4th, but now I'm beginning to wonder.

Who do you think will get 4th place? 229 votes

Liverpool
    0%
    Manchester City
    49%
    ButcherOfNogKulganPHBbyteTuskyPaulwsuper_furryjesus_thats_grex in the citySuprSiIagoraven136HeadshotmayordenisHolstenziggyjemChardee MacDennisJazzyMr.Nice Guy 114 votes
    Spurs
    41%
    RasTaTelgereIllkillyaastrofoolPing Chow ChiVokesloyatemusionnachefbsprinklesDr. DodgerDiddy KongKingp35UnearthlySoulessbohsmanJuan PabloBrando_iejonnybaddapplehunter 95 votes
    Villa
    8%
    Atomic PineappleV9StargalKoldT-b0n3SeiferRobxxx7antodbad2daboneorourkedaLister1KnifeWRENCHJerryHandbagSchismoverexcitedajkeane2097kakeeMrKingsleyrotinajGear9992 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Manchester City
    I still reckon Liverpool will get fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

For what possible reason would a United fan want Liverpool to get 4th? Can't see the logic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Manchester City
    JPA wrote: »
    For what possible reason would a United fan want Liverpool to get 4th? Can't see the logic.

Hatred of Man City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Manchester City
    Despite all their setbacks, despite all the shíte that has flown their way and despite it all in general... I still think Liverpool will produce just enough to finish 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Manchester City

Simple United Logic:

Liverpool - Hate them
    City - Hate them
    Leeds - Despise them

What do to do what to do?

City, if they get 4th, will be able to spend their ****load of money and some pretty talented players.
    Liverpool, if they get 4th, will be able to spend their 0 money on some pretty talented players.

Right now, neither squad imo, is a title challenger. Whichever team is in 4th, could potentially attract the players to make them so. If you're not in CL football though, you might not attract them.

Since Liverpool can't do anything with 4th, but City potentially could, I think it makes sense to want Liverpool to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Spurs
    I think Man City will get 4th, but I hope Villa get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Manchester City
    City, Spurs and Villa won't have the bottle. Pains me to say that Liverpool *spit* will get 4th

PHB wrote: »
    Simple United Logic:

Liverpool - Hate them
    City - Hate them
    Leeds - Despise them

What do to do what to do?

City, if they get 4th, will be able to spend their ****load of money and some pretty talented players.
    Liverpool, if they get 4th, will be able to spend their 0 money on some pretty talented players.

Right now, neither squad imo, is a title challenger. Whichever team is in 4th, could potentially attract the players to make them so. If you're not in CL football though, you might not attract them.

Since Liverpool can't do anything with 4th, but City potentially could, I think it makes sense to want Liverpool to win.

Oh right. you're just forgetting Villa and Spurs? If Villa win their game in hand they go ahead of Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Manchester City
    Spurs/Villa simply nowhere near good enough for CL, as evidenced by their performances tonight.

City will f*ck it up ecause they're Man City and thats what Man City do.

That leaves Liverpool, playing quite awful football pretty much all season, to stumble over the line, "victors" in this race of mediocrities. They'll get there in the end but you'd have some cheek to be a liverpool fan and make any noise celebrating the achievement of this very basic of requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Manchester City
    Oh right. you're just forgetting Villa and Spurs? If Villa win their game in hand they go ahead of Liverpool.

To be honest, after tonight, I've come to the conclusion that Villa don't have the attacking intent to get there.

I'd really like them to, not because of their football, its pretty turgid, but because they are a good team with a good manager who has built them up over the years and deserves a good reward.

However tonight, not only were their ****, their intent was ****. That game was there to be won, United down to 10 men, with a dodgy back 4. Coulda went for it and really got the win, but they sat back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,367 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Spurs
    mars bar wrote: »
    I think Man City will get 4th, but I hope Villa get it.

Same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Manchester City
    Frisbee wrote: »
    I still reckon Liverpool will get fourth.

Pool will get 4th also Id say, of course Id love if Everton did, but Spurs, Villa and CIty just dont cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Manchester City
    anybody else except city for 4th spot please
    Liverpool	Arsenal		Man City	Spurs		Villa

Everton (h)	Chelsea (a)	Hull (a)	Aston Villa (h)	Tottenham (a)
    Arsenal (a)	Liverpool (h)	Bolton (h)	Wolves (a)	Man Utd (h)
    Man City (a)	Sunderland (h)	Stoke (a)	Wigan (a)	Burnly (h)
    Blackburn (h)	Stoke (a)	Liverpool (h)	Everton (h)	Sunderland (h)
    Wigan (a)	Burnley (h)	Chelsea (a)	Man  City (a)	Stoke (a)
    Portsmouth (h)	Hull (a)	Tottenham (h)	Blackbrun (h)	Wigan (a)
    Man Utd (a)	West Ham (h)	Sunderland (a)	Stoke (a)	Wolves (h)
    Sunderland (h)	Birmingham (a)	Fulham (a)	Portsmouth (h)	Chelsea (a)
    Birmingham (a)	Wolves (h)	Wigan (h)	Sunderland (a)	Bolton (a)
    Fulham (h)	Tottenham (a)	Burnley (a)	Arsenal (h)	Everton (h)
    West Ham (h)	Wigan (a)	Birmingham (a)	Chelsea (h)	Portsmouth (a)
    Burnly (a)	Man City (h)	Man Utd (h)	Man Utd (a)	Birmingham (h)
    Chelsea (h)	Blackburn (a)	Arsenal (a)	Bolton (h)	Man City (a)
    Hull (a)	Fulham (h)	Aston Villa (h)	Burnley (a)	Blackburn (h)
    				West Ham (a)	

credit to jesus_thats_gre for the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Manchester City
    City will make a hash of it but I'd like them to get it over Liverpool, for Shay Given's sake. I can't see the others being there. Villa traditionally collapse in March and while I don't think it will be as bad as recent seasons I still see them falling away. I've never felt Spurs were good enough to last the distance.
    flahavaj wrote:
    That leaves Liverpool, playing quite awful football pretty much all season, to stumble over the line, "victors" in this race of mediocrities. They'll get there in the end but you'd have some cheek to be a liverpool fan and make any noise celebrating the achievement of this very basic of requirements.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Manchester City
    Hope Villa get it, because I like Martin O'Neill.
    But, imo either Liverpool or City will get it. I hope to God that it's Liverpool.

PHB wrote: »
    To be honest, after tonight, I've come to the conclusion that Villa don't have the attacking intent to get there.

I'd really like them to, not because of their football, its pretty turgid, but because they are a good team with a good manager who has built them up over the years and deserves a good reward.

However tonight, not only were their ****, their intent was ****. That game was there to be won, United down to 10 men, with a dodgy back 4. Coulda went for it and really got the win, but they sat back.

Villa simply had too much respect for United, a United team who continued to play well with 10 men or were even galvanised by it. But Villa have a much easier run in than City and a game in hand on Liverpool. Maybe I'm living in hope but we'll see. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It Man City's to throw away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

So that they won't sack Benitez.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Spurs
    If City win their 2 games in hand then they'll get it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Manchester City
    Liverpool will probably get it alright. Spurs are a bunch of whimpering posers who always give up without a fight. Villa simply are not good enough so City are the only credible contenders apart from Liverpool. City seem to have a bit of the Spurs vibe going on though and can be totally unpredictable but with their games in hand it will be close. If Everton hadn't such a crap start with their injury nightmare they would be above most of them.

• Advertisement

City will drop points against the better teams and they have a good few of them coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Two games in hand for City, that's almost impossible to overlook. If they beat us at home, I fear that we're ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Manchester City
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Two games in hand for City, that's almost impossible to overlook. If they beat us at home, I fear that we're ****ed.

will Torres be back ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If City win their 2 games in hand then they'll get it imo.

I see City losing it towards the end as they have United and Arsenal and Villa as 3 of their last 4 games. They don't have the composure for it. Not at the moment anyway.

So Liverpool it is. Villa, not a chance. They don't have the bottle either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Spurs
    Although Liverpool seem to have turned the corner (bar tonight obviously) I really don't think their squad matches that of City's. Come the end of the season, Mancini really should be delivering Champions League Football to the blue half of Manchester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Manchester City
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Spurs/Villa simply nowhere near good enough for CL, as evidenced by their performances tonight.

awful post flah. no one in pool will be celebrating. And to suggest that City always **** up is just plain arrogant. United wont be on top forever.

Manchester City
    awful post flah. no one in pool will be celebrating. And to suggest that City always **** up is just plain arrogant. United wont be on top forever.

City always DO f*ck up, their own fans would be the first to admit it!

Plenty liverpool fans will celebrate fourth place, even on Saturday some of the stuff on here was way out of proportion.

Thread has nothing to do with United either btw, strange of you to bring them up tbh.

United wont be on top forever.

:confused: What has that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Where's the Everton option in the poll?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Manchester City
    City always DO f*ck up, their own fans would be the first to admit it!

Plenty liverpool fans will celebrate fourth place, even on Saturday some of the stuff on here was way out of proportion.

Thread has nothing to do with United either btw, strange of you to bring them up tbh.
    again two sweeping statements. I have seen enough of City this season to know they will be challenging fairly soon. As for Liverpool none of us are happy with what has gone down this season. Fourth place nowhere near good enough. It maybe an improvement on where we were from start of season but still no way near good enough.

Manchester City
    again two sweeping statements. I have seen enough of City this season to know they will be challenging fairly soon. As for Liverpool none of us are happy with what has gone down this season. Fourth place nowhere near good enough. It maybe an improvement on where we were from start of season but still no way near good enough.

Read the thread after the Everton game. That was not a sweeping statement.

Also read the history of Man City, basically an instruction manual in how to f*ck things up. They'll throw this away too.

Liverpool will come fourth, I just don't want to hear ye getting all excited when ye stumble over the line, thats all. God knows you make enough noise over a handball, what'll you eb like come the end of the year.:pac:

As for Liverpool none of us are happy with what has gone down this season. Fourth place nowhere near good enough. It maybe an improvement on where we were from start of season but still no way near good enough.

I'm fairly sure he was implying that 'Pool fans would be happy with 4th place considering where they were at the start of the season. You've just taken what you wanted from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Manchester City
    Spurs too reliant on Defoe now since Keane was loaned out. Villa have the easier run in apart from City & Chelsea away. The City game could be massive. If they are ahead of City/Pool going into that game then they can do it but that late Torres winner at Villa park will have a big say in things imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Spurs
    Think it is citys to throw away, although no one seems to want it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Spurs
    Citys for the Taking Especially if they can beat Pool At Home Next week as pool have some tough games left...Spurs are the most over rated team in europe and will fall away and come 7th...Villa not good enough ...and pool have had far too many slip ups...Cannot see past city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Manchester City
    I reckon that the only two teams who would be good enough to pose any kind of a challenge in the Champions League next season would be Liverpool (despite the terror of this season) and Man City (if they can get into Champs League, it would attract a lot of players to them in the summer). Spurs and Villa just don't have the squads/players to make a true dent in Europe really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spurs with Lennon are hopeless, when is he back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Manchester City
    We are still on 17 points out of 24. Our best form of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Spurs
    Hope it will be City but still hesitant. Would like to see a different top 4 for a change:) and also wipe the smile off some faces out there;).

Have a little love for liverpool due to being hubby's team so would not like to see them finish outside the top 4 but obviously would wave them goodbye if it was between them and City (reluctantly).

Not sure if we have "the bottle" as it has been put numerous times on this thread but sure, we shall see soon enough......Never say never, I suppose

SO.......CITY FOR 4TH PLACE FINISH:D
    *Prays like mad*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Spurs
    Nice to be discussed in these terms. We'll probably make a balls of it we'll do it in style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Spurs
    I think that City have the biggest advantage so I voted for them. They've two games in hand and if they win both of those then I reckon they've a very good chance. They play dire football at times but I reckon they can do it.

Big games against Liverpool and Chelsea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Spurs
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nice to be discussed in these terms. We'll probably make a balls of it we'll do it in style.

If City still had Hughes I'd expect them to make a balls of it but with Mancio in there and also to an extent Vierra (who has been there before and should be quite the inspiration) I reckon they'll get there. Also hope they get it because if Liverpool don't Rafa has to go and if Rafa goes I think Torres will as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Manchester City
    Looking at the run in ,Spurs and City couldn't get any tougher last 5 games imo.Liverpool know how to finish in the CL places and that as well as them being better than the others makes me think they will do it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anyone have a list of fixtures left for each team to hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Manchester City
    1st page of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Manchester City
    I voted for Liverpool, as they will get there in the end. Although even when they do finish 4th, it will still have been an absolutely shocking season for them considering they had expectations of winning the league pre-season.

d22ontour wrote: »
    1st page of the thread.

:o;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

100% right-it's exactly what we do-always have done. Luckily, it's also exactly what Spurs and Villa keep doing!

I have a book called "Cups for Cock Ups". It's a book about City and as the title suggests if they had a cup for every cock up etc... so for that reason I have to vote for Liverpool (but then again I never bet on City, 'cos we're City and if City had a cup for every...........:D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Manchester City

A strange comment to make considering Liverpool have lost more games than both Spurs and Villa this season and have put in worse performances than Spurs and Villa did tonight this season too.

Does that make Liverpool 'simply nowhere near good enough for the CL' then? Based on your logic, it should.

Villa by a point from Liverpool :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement