Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race for 4th

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

City cant be more motivated than when they play Utd, potentially get 4th spot at the expense of any last title hopes their city rivals have. Gotta hope they lose if your not a City fan

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Manchester City
    Just read Pompey are trying to get to play in Europe next season, appealing to the PL. If they win the appeal (they probably won't) then only to 6th spot would get a Europa League place, so more pressure on the teams in that group to make sure they do not slack off
    Portsmouth would still have to win the FA cup, the spot does not go to the runner up.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Portsmouth would still have to win the FA cup, the spot does not go to the runner up.

yeh it does

how else do you think fulham are in europe this season?

everton got the europa cup spot for finishing runners up in the fa cup last year, bumping their place for finishing 5th down to 7th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Helix wrote: »
    yeh it does

everton got the europa cup spot for finishing runners up in the fa cup last year, bumping their place for finishing 5th down to 7th

That logic doesn't make sense to me? Cause obviously 6th place got the League Cup spot because United won it. Fulham got a Europa League spot regardless of whether Chelsea or Everton won the FA Cup cause they had both already qualified?

Not actually arguing against you. Just confused :)

Manchester City
    yeh it does

I thought it went automatically went to the league if the winner was in champions league, definitely that way in one of the cup competitions

From wiki
    The winners qualify for the UEFA Europa League, if they have not qualified for European competition through the Premier League or by winning the FA Cup. If this occurs, then the Europa League berth goes to the highest-placed team from the Premier League not already qualified for Europe.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    That logic doesn't make sense to me? Cause obviously 6th place got the League Cup spot because United won it. Fulham got a Europa League spot regardless of whether Chelsea or Everton won the FA Cup cause they had both already qualified?

Not actually arguing against you. Just confused :)

last year top 4 got champions league, as is always the case

5th - everton qualified both via league and fa cup
    6th - villa qualified via league
    7th - fulham qualified because everton had qualified via 2 means, so took the additional place

the way its structured is 5th in the league, league up winners (or if winners are top 5, the place goes to the next non qualifying position in the league) and fa cup winners (runners up if winners have already qualified, league if both have)

Manchester City
    last year top 4 got champions league, as is always the case

5th - everton qualified both via league and fa cup
    6th - villa qualified via league
    7th - fulham qualified because everton had qualified via 2 means, so took the additional place

the way its structured is 5th in the league, league up winners (or if winners are top 5, the place goes to the next non qualifying position in the league) and fa cup winners (runners up if winners have already qualified, league if both have)
    See my post above, it automatically went to the league, Everton just happened to have already qualified, if they hadn't, they would have missed out.

Same happened with league cup, by your reckoning, Spurs should have been in Europe this season

no league cup runners up never got europe

remember cardiff qualified by being beaten fa cup finalists 2 years back tho?

Manchester City
    Wooops, you're completely right!

Got mixed up with league cup, apologies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Does that mean if Liverpool finish 5th:eek: but win the Europa lge there will be an extra place for league position?

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Does that mean if Liverpool finish 5th:eek: but win the Europa lge there will be an extra place for league position?

dont think so no, i think that place will be redistributed to another country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

no league cup runners up never got europe

remember cardiff qualified by being beaten fa cup finalists 2 years back tho?

:confused:

Didn't Pompey take that place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

dont think so no, i think that place will be redistributed to another country

Correct.

If Liverpool (or Fulham for that matter) win the EL but fail to qualify through domestic competition, they will be allowed defend their title as an extra team from England

If Liverpool win the EL and finish in the top 6, the English league will not gain an extra place in the EL.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    :confused:

Didn't Pompey take that place?

They did by winning 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Two horse race after tonight's results.

City will still take it easily imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Doesn't take into account the Villa match today.

Remaining Fixures - Premier League

My predictions:
    [B]        Tottenham        Man City        Liverpool        Aston Villa[/B]    
    Sat 17/04 PL    Chelsea (h)    0pts    Man Utd (h)     1pts
    Sun 18/04 PL                                        Portsmouth (a)     3pts

Mon 19/04 PL                            West Ham (h)     3pts
    Wed 21/04 PL                                        Hull (a)    3pts
    Sat 24/04 PL                Arsenal (a)     0pts    Burnley (a)     3pts
    Sun 25/04 PL    Man Utd (a)    0pts                            Birmingham (h)     1pts

Sun 01/05 PL    Bolton (h)    3pts    Aston Villa (h)    1pts    Chelsea (h)     0pts    Man City (a)     1pts

Wed 05/05 PL    Man City (a)    1pts    Tottenham (h)    1pts
    Sun 09/05 PL    Burnley (a)    3pts    West Ham (a)     1pts    Hull (a)     3pts    Blackburn (h)     3pts

Based on my predictions above, the league table would end up as follows:
    Liverpool        56+9 = 65
    Aston Villa        55+ 8 = 63
    Man City        62 +4= 66
    Tottenham        61+7 = 68

Well think I did those calcultions right I hope your right Jesus_thats_grea but City are in good form and Spurs must be Knackered now although it would be easier to get three points at home to chelsea then points away to man utd so hopefully we will put out another great performance I think Villa must be out and Liverpool bar a complete collapse from city and spurs should be too.
    Come On You Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

Wouldnt rule liverpool out just yet!!!!!!!!!

Wouldnt rule liverpool out just yet!!!!!!!!!

I would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Manchester City
    Pool back in the game IMO.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Spurs
    flahavaj wrote: »

You hope so.....
    You've been banging on about them for long enough now:D

• Advertisement

your opinion is wrong... IMO ;)

Manchester City
    You hope so.....
    You've been banging on about them for long enough now:D

Nothing to do with Pool themselves, just the likelihood that City will make a balls of things, as is their wont.:pac:

Manchester City
    your opinion is wrong... IMO ;)

Incorrect IMHO.:pac:

Incorrect IMHO.:pac:

o great Villa must suddenly be back in it now so being only 1 point behind pool and having a game in hand on them... I dont believe this sadly, simply cos i dont think Liverpool are still in it. Mathematically possible for both teams but this seasons liverpool can not be expected to pick up 6 more points than City or Spurs in the remaining 4 games imo.

Manchester City
    o great Villa must suddenly be back in it now so being only 1 point behind pool and having a game in hand on them... I dont believe this sadly, simply cos i dont think Liverpool are still in it. Mathematically possible for both teams but this seasons liverpool can not be expected to pick up 6 more points than City or Spurs in the remaining 4 games imo.

I dunno, Spurs could easily lose the next two.

And City will be seriously rattled by todays humbling, their next three games are easily loseable.

And Pool (or indeed Villa;)) will have the chance to gain points on at least one of them the day Spurs play City.

This is going to get interesting again I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Manchester City

If Villa have a perfect run-in, which MON is looking for then ye have a chance! I don't think it's likely that ye'll have a perfect run-in though. As for the Pool? Not a hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Spurs
    City still favourites for me. But there is still a few twists left in this.

Spurs
    I dunno, Spurs could easily lose the next two.

And City will be seriously rattled by todays humbling, their next three games are easily loseable.

And Pool (or indeed Villa;)) will have the chance to gain points on at least one of them the day Spurs play City.

This is going to get interesting again I think.

For crying out loud Flah, it was hardly a humbling!!!
    Fcuking disappointing more like but still a far cry from a humbling.....
    If the score had've been 4-0, 5-1 or summat like that but not 1-0 in the dying minute:confused:

Not disputing the fact that like everyone else we potentially could lose the next 3 games but seriously....a humbling?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

flahavaj must be the only United fan in the world praying for Liverpool finishing in the top 4, and all to save face...;)

• Advertisement

Manchester City
    For crying out loud Flah, it was hardly a humbling!!!
    Fcuking disappointing more like but still a far cry from a humbling.....
    If the score had've been 4-0, 5-1 or summat like that but not 1-0 in the dying minute:confused:

Not disputing the fact that like everyone else we potentially could lose the next 3 games but seriously....a humbling?????

Fairly even game I thought but, I was only half watching!

Spurs
    jasonorr wrote: »
    Fairly even game I thought but, I was only half watching!

Same as that.....was too busy posting here and on FB to watch it 100% properly!!!
    Certainly wasn't a humbling tho':D

Manchester City
    flahavaj must be the only United fan in the world praying for Liverpool finishing in the top 4, and all to save face...;)

Not at all, I hope Spurs get it tbh, I don't like Pool or City.

I just haven't much faith in Spurs' testicular fortitude.

But would be more than happy to be proven wrong and would enjoy it immensely.

Manchester City
    Same as that.....was too busy posting here and on FB to watch it 100% properly!!!
    Certainly wasn't a humbling tho':D

Humbled in terms of City's growing opinion of the balance of power "shifting" in Manchester.;)

Spurs
    Humbled in terms of City's growing opinion of the balance of power "shifting" in Manchester.;)

Fair enough, that statement I can live with:) as you just may have a point

Manchester City

Well they're in a much better position than they were last year. Whether a "shift" is imminent or not depends on whether they get cl football or not.

• Advertisement

Spurs
    Well they're in a much better position than they were last year. Whether a "shift" is imminent or not depends on whether they get cl football or not.

That's why so many are desperate for us not to get 4th!!

Manchester City
    That's why so many are desperate for us not to get 4th!!

I'd prefer if ye didn't too to be honest. Unless UEFA push through a ruling on expenditure before the transfer window ;)

Spurs
    I'd prefer if ye didn't too to be honest. Unless UEFA push through a ruling on expenditure before the transfer window ;)

Ah well, may not matter after today's result esp if Spurs beat Chelsea!!!:(

Manchester City
    Ah well, may not matter after today's result esp if Spurs beat Chelsea!!!:(

There's a long way to go yet and it's very tight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spurs beat Chelsea....oh wait!

Yes they do.....anyone remember how Spurs run-in was supposed to be their undoing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Villa
    The Spurs-City game is 2nd last week of the season right? Could effectively be a play off for 4th at this rate...

Didn't I tell you we needed a new poll each week:D

Fecking less then 8%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Manchester City
    fair play to Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

At least the Europa League final is in the Aviva in 2011:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Manchester City
    Chuffed! Thank you Spurs :D

Spurs

How tho?

Liverpool 8 points behind with 4 games left. Talking into account that Spurs beat one of Burnley or Bolton then they are on 67 points. (I think they will beat both tbh) Spurs also have a better goal difference. Leaving Liverpool needing 68. 12 points from 12 points. I don't think they will do that.

If Liverpool are to do it they will need Bolton and Burnley to take points off Spurs. Can't see that happening.

I hope Liverpool are in it by May 2nd. So they have something to play for against Chelsea. Just can't see it happening tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Manchester City
    Osu wrote: »
    How tho?

Liverpool 8 points behind with 4 games left. Talking into account that Spurs beat one of Burnley or Bolton then they are on 67 points. (I think they will beat both tbh) Spurs also have a better goal difference. Leaving Liverpool needing 68. 12 points from 12 points. I don't think they will do that.

If Liverpool are to do it they will need Bolton and Burnley to take points off Spurs. Can't see that happening.

I hope Liverpool are in it by May 2nd. So they have something to play for against Chelsea. Just can't see it happening tbh.

That was before Spurs won I think.

Spurs City game will decide it. Liverpool may not get 6th at this stage.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Manchester City
    K-9 wrote: »
    That was before Spurs won I think.

Spurs City game will decide it. Liverpool may not get 6th at this stage.

Yeah, Spurs kinda made my prediction look sh*te this evening. Delighted they did so though.:pac:

Spurs
    Yeah, Spurs kinda made my prediction look sh*te this evening. Delighted they did so though.:pac:

My apologizes so.

For our sake let's hope Liverpool are still in it on May 2nd...

I said a few weeks ago that to get fourth we'd need 7 points from arsenal,Chelsea,Utd and City games so it's great to be on 6 already.

I do think that City will get something out of the Arsenal game next week because they seem to treat it like a derby with the ex-arsenal players they have.
    But I can see Villa getting a Draw they don't give away much and they are a strong team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement