Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race for 4th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Seing as Liverpool and Villa are probably out of the race now I think City will nab 4th spot from Spurs. The deciding factor will be whoever comes out on top in the big game between the two sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Manchester City
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Yeah, Spurs kinda made my prediction look sh*te this evening. Delighted they did so though.:pac:

Would prefer Spurs to get it, my 4th favourites at this thread start. Love the underdog.

So that means I want Spurs to beat United because that means less chance of a 19th title, but then that is the nail in the coffin of the last breathe of Liverpool for 4th.

I want Liverpool to lose to Chelsea to stop the 19th but then we may have a glimmer of a hope by then, especially with Torres.

The only sure thing on this thread is that its a head wreck.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Target is still 69pts.

So far:
    • Spurs 64pts from 34 games = 1.88 Pts per game.
    • Man City 62pts from 34 games = 1.82 Pts per game.
    • Villa 55pts from 33 games = 1.67 Pts per game.
    • Liverpool 56pts from 34 games = 1.65 Pts per game

Liverpool have yet to play, so remain the same. While City and Spurs(marginally) and Villa(Marginally) Increase.

Points per game required for a team to reach 69pts.
    • Spurs 5pts from 4 games = 1.25 Pts a game.
    • Man City 7pts from 4 games = 1.75 Pts Per game.
    • Villa 15pts from 5 games = 3 Pts per game. Puts them on 70
    • Liverpool 12pts from 4 games = 3 Pts per game. Can reach a maximum 68
    It Looks like to get fourth teams may need more then the target 69pts at this stage. Anything but wins for Villa and Liverpool in all there remaining matches would definetly end there fourth place aspirations.

So spurs are fourth for now but I can see another twist this season who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

K-9 wrote: »
    I want Liverpool to lose to Chelsea to stop the 19th but then we may have a glimmer of a hope by then, especially with Torres.

Liverpool could beat Chelsea and utd may still not get the 19th ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Villa
    Well I voted for Spurs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Manchester City
    TBH wouldnt think Spurs will get all three points against United but they are playing terrific football at the moment.
    Harry has really got a reaction out of the team in the last two matches. Gareth Bale was tremendous down the left while Gomes turned in another terrific display in goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's Spurs to lose now.

The difference between themselves and City is that Spurs aren't afraid to go out attacking against the big sides. Look at yesterday, City were far too defensive on their own patch, you'd swear they were the away team. Whereas Spurs went at both Arsenal and Chelsea. Not being afraid to lose will get 4th for Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Manchester City
    Yeah but I would think United would be short enough odds to win next weekends game.
    Scholes goal will have proved a massive lift for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Manchester City
    SantryRed wrote: »
    It's Spurs to lose now.

The difference between themselves and City is that Spurs aren't afraid to go out attacking against the big sides. Look at yesterday, City were far too defensive on their own patch, you'd swear they were the away team. Whereas Spurs went at both Arsenal and Chelsea. Not being afraid to lose will get 4th for Spurs.

Yup, great point. I though Mancini had tried to be more attacking in recent weeks, but the old conservatism came back to haunt him yesterday. City played with a bit of fear and caution I thought and it killed them in the end. Whereas Spurs had the balls to go for the jugular and were rewarded with spectacular success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Spurs
    SantryRed wrote: »
    It's Spurs to lose now.

Great point. City try to defend themselves out of the games against the bigger sides.

I think Spurs will do it. But expect another twist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Manchester City
    I think neither City nor Spurs will get anything off Arsenal and United respectively next week. I think this race will be decided by the tie between themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I hope Spurs get 4th , transfer prices will go through the roof if City are playing in the CL next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should Arsenal now be mentioned in this thread? ;)

3 Arsenal______35__39___71
    4 Tottenham___ 34__28___64
    5 Man City_____ 34__27___62

Arsenal v Man City, 17:30
    Blackburn v Arsenal, 17:00
    Arsenal v Fulham, 16:00

Arsenal v Man City, 17:30
    Man City v Aston Villa, 15:00
    Man City v Tottenham, 20:00
    West Ham v Man City, 16:00

Man Utd v Tottenham, 12:45
    Tottenham v Bolton, 15:00
    Man City v Tottenham, 20:00
    Burnley v Tottenham, 16:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Manchester City
    mike65 wrote: »
    Should Arsenal now be mentioned in this thread? ;)

Probably, I think we'll get the necessary points for third but, you never know...useless fúckérs!!!

The Maximum spurs can get is 76, City 74 so I don't think it's possible at this stage of the season Just to late to really catch them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Spurs
    Personally I think it will be Spurs then City then Liverpool.

Manchester City
    The Maximum spurs can get is 76, City 74 so I don't think it's possible at this stage of the season Just to late to really catch them.

Stop being reasonable, we won't get another point this season :p

jasonorr wrote: »
    Stop being reasonable, we won't get another point this season :p
    I wouldn't mind if ya didn't and then we we're able to loose one more game and still overtake you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Spurs
    Osu wrote: »
    Great point. City try to defend themselves out of the games against the bigger sides.

I think Spurs will do it. But expect another twist

:confused:

We beat Chelsea twice scoring 6 goals.

We scored 4 at home to Arsenal.

We scored 3 against United at Old Trafford.

We scored 2 at Anfield.

So in 7 games against the 'Big Four' so far we've scored 15 goals, i.e. more than two a game.

Yes, highly defensive.

Spurs will lie down at old trafford as per usual.

City will take it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :confused:

We beat Chelsea twice scoring 6 goals.

We scored 4 at home to Arsenal.

We scored 3 against United at Old Trafford.

We scored 2 at Anfield.

So in 7 games against the 'Big Four' so far we've scored 15 goals, i.e. more than two a game.

Yes, highly defensive.

But Xavi, you have to admit that they were highly defensive yesterday. If they had of gone for that game I think they would have outscored United.

p----w----D----L
    cs----FTS--F
    A----GD---PTS---PPG
    1 Chelsea
    11----7 ---0 ----4
    5 ----0 ---25 ---12 -- +13 --21 ---1.91

2 Manchester United -11 ---6 ---1 ---4
    1 ----3 ---17 ---14 -- +3 ---19 ---1.73

3 Tottenham Hotspur--10 ---4 ---2 ---4
    2 ----4 ---11 ---15 --- -4 ----14 ---1.40

4 Manchester City ----9 ----3 ---3 --3
    3 ---16 ---16 ----0 ----12 ---1.33

5 Aston Villa
    11 ---3 ----5 ---3
    4 ----10 ----16-- -6 ----14 ----1.27

6 Arsenal
    11 ----4 ---1 ---6 ----4
    3 ----14 ----17 -- -3----13 ----1.18

7 Liverpool----
    11 ---3 ----2 ---6 ----4
    3 ----11 ----14 -- -3 ---11 ----1.00

This is the top 7 against each other intresting stuff City the third biggest scorers but have a 0 GD

1 Chelsea 11 7 0 4 5 0 25 12 +13 21 1.91 2 Manchester United 11 6 1 4 1 3 17 14 +3 19 1.73 3 Tottenham Hotspur 10 4 2 4 2 4 11 15 -4 14 1.40 4 Manchester City 9 3 3 3 1 3 16 16 0 12 1.33 5 Aston Villa 11 3 5 3 3 4 10 16 -6 14 1.27 6 Arsenal 11 4 1 6 4 3 14 17 -3 13 1.18 7 Liverpool 11 3 2 6 4 3 11 14 -3 11 1.00
    This is the top 7 against each other intresting stuff City the third biggest scorers but have a 0 GD

My head hurts looking at that !

EDIT, you are too quick for me !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Spurs will lie down at old trafford as per usual.

City will take it

Spurs can probably afford to lose at OT, given City would be expected to lose at the Emirates. City then have Villa while Spurs have Bolton ahead of the two meeting. There's a reasonable chance Spurs could be 3pts or more ahead of City when they meet.

Manchester City
    Inquitus wrote: »
    Spurs can probably afford to lose at OT, given City would be expected to lose at the Emirates. City then have Villa while Spurs have Bolton ahead of the two meeting. There's a reasonable chance Spurs could be 3pts or more ahead of City when they meet.

With the state Arsenal are in right now, they will not beat City!

With the state Arsenal are in right now, they will not beat City!

Arsenal at home have W 14 D 1 L 2, City's away record is W 6 D 7 L 4 it's fair to assume City will not get 3 pts, though granted anything can happen.

Manchester City
    Arsenal at home have W 14 D 1 L 2, City's away record is W 6 D 7 L 4 it's fair to assume City will not get 3 pts, though granted anything can happen.

That's not what you said at all!!! I wouldn't be surprised with a City win Arsenal have half a team left and look to be going through the motions!

That's not what you said at all!!! I wouldn't be surprised with a City win Arsenal have half a team left and look to be going through the motions!

Meh City are expected to lose - Arsenal (4/5) v (13/5) Manchester City (4)
    the bookies is as good a guide as any, you are just being obtuse for the sake of it.

Manchester City
    Meh City are expected to lose - Arsenal (4/5) v (13/5) Manchester City (4)
    the bookies is as good a guide as any, you are just being obtuse for the sake of it.

I'm not being obtuse at all. You said one thing and then another when I called you on it! City are playing well and compared to Arsenal at the moment are virtually injury free. You go ahead and put your house on an Arsenal win but, it's a horrible bet!

I'm not being obtuse at all. You said one thing and then another when I called you on it! City are playing well and compared to Arsenal at the moment are virtually injury free. You go ahead and put your house on an Arsenal win but, it's a horrible bet!

The bookies are as good a guide of future sporting expectation as there is, ergo its fair to say city are expected to lose, and I see them getting 1pt at best and a loss more than likely. Spurs will probably get nowt from United.

Diff remains 2pts

Spurs would be expected to beat Bolton and there's a decent chance Villa could nick a draw against City. That would leave Spurs 3 or 4 pts clear of City when they play depending on a city draw or loss at Emirates.

This is also the reason why Spurs are now Favourites for 4th again with the bookies.

• Advertisement

Manchester City
    The bookies are as good a guide of future sporting expectation as there is, ergo its fair to say city are expected to lose, and I see them getting 1pt at best and a loss more than likely. Spurs will probably get nowt from United.

Diff remains 2pts

Spurs would be expected to beat Bolton and there's a decent chance Villa could nick a draw against City. That would leave Spurs 3 or 4 pts clear of City when they play depending on a city draw or loss at Emirates.

This is also the reason why Spurs are now Favourites for 4th again with the bookies.

OK that's fine, keep repeating yourself. Arsenal are very capable of getting the win but, with the way they're playing and the players they're missing I don't think they'll have enough to do so.

Mancinni has set a target of beat Tottenham and two other wins to get fourth place so a minimum of 71 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I can't believe people are talking about Villa taking points from Citeh and not following up by saying Villa still have a chance at 4th themselves.

Villa are not our of this yet.

I still think City will take 4th just ahead of Villa.

Spurs to collapse after a hammering at old Tafford

We where ment to collapse after Sunderland remember

Will be intresting none the less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Manchester City

people thought they would collapse after losing to pompey but we know how that turned out

We where ment to collapse after Sunderland remember

Will be intresting none the less

Lost against pompy in cup? Last 2 games have been amazing in fairness.
    Headshot wrote: »
    people thought they would collapse after losing to pompey but we know how that turned out

True, but at Old Trafford they always take a beating.

If Spurs could transfer their home form away more often they'd be a top top team. I just can't see them getting anything at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Manchester City

If Spurs could transfer their home form away more often they'd be a top top team. I just can't see them getting anything at the weekend.

I think it's going to be the hardest man utd v spurs match we've had at old trafford for a long time

spurs havent beaten us at home since the pl started so some time that's going to end, but I ****ing hope it wont be at the weekend

Ya I thought that was a bit of a freak game when nothing goes your way wasn't too bothered by it tho.

Hope to see the same tacics employed on saturday as the last two games absorb and attack at speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

So if past history is anything to go by, should we take note of the following?

Last 8 PL away to City, Spurs have W6 D1 L1
    Last 8 PL home to Bolton, Spurs have W5 D1 L2

Our last trip to Burnley ended in an ET defeat in the Carling Cup SF, but that was under Owen Coyle and a much more confident Burnley side.

I'm not making any predictions myself.

Manchester City

Our last trip to Burnley ended in an ET defeat in the Carling Cup SF, but that was under Owen Coyle and a much more confident Burnley side.

You can't really read into that one with how much City have improved, particularly this season but, I'd expect ye to beat Bolton. Cant call the City game personally!

You can't really read into that one with how much City have improved, particularly this season but, I'd expect ye to beat Bolton. Cant call the City game personally!
    I think that was his point :P

Manchester City
    I think that was his point :P

Ah right, I see that now...didn't read it properly. I think Villa have a slim chance, win all their games and 4th could be theirs. At the moment (for me) it's a toss up between Spurs and City but, I think Spurs have the better run-in and with that 2 point advantage, it might just be enough.

Don't get me wrong. I'll be cheering ye on at united, I just can't see it happening.

Spurs
    I look forward to the 'Are City and Mancini done?' thread later this weekend.

And the answer will be yes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Manchester City
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    I look forward to the 'Are City and Mancini done?' thread later this weekend.

And the answer will be yes.

save our sven!

Spurs
    Jazzy wrote: »
    save our sven!

Hard to believe it's two years ago already.

Time flies when you're having fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Still wide open lads. I still think the crunch game will be City Spurs, and if there is a winner in that one, that team will be going in to the final day knowing 3pts and they have it.

In saying that, I hope we (Spurs) have it wrapped up by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Still wide open lads. I still think the crunch game will be City Spurs, and if there is a winner in that one, that team will be going in to the final day knowing 3pts and they have it.

dont think its quite as clear cut as that

joker in the pack is villa winning all their games (birmingham, city, blackburn) and finishing on 70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Manchester City
    Helix wrote: »
    dont think its quite as clear cut as that

joker in the pack is villa winning all their games (birmingham, city, blackburn) and finishing on 70

Unless Villa score a lot of goals in those 3 games, it might not matter as if either Spurs or City get 70 points, the chances are they'll have a better goal difference and will get 4th.

• Advertisement
Advertisement