Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race for 4th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It's definitely in Spurs hands, but if they (or city) slip up hopefully Villa can capsulise

In reality it's unlikely as it involves Spurs losing 2 and drawing (or losing) one and City losing against Villa and one other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

SuprSi wrote: »
    Unless Villa score a lot of goals in those 3 games, it might not matter as if either Spurs or City get 70 points, the chances are they'll have a better goal difference and will get 4th.

Yes we know. A lot of assumptions have to happen for Villa like Spurs dropping points to Bolton or Burnley. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Unless Villa score a lot of goals in those 3 games, it might not matter as if either Spurs or City get 70 points, the chances are they'll have a better goal difference and will get 4th.

yup, the likelihood is that spurs will get 70, but if they slip up against either bolton or burnley they might not

saying that, villa beating city is hardly a certainty lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Manchester City
    Yeah it's a crazy end to the season - any of 4 teams could realistically finish in 4th, it's just mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

So 35 games gone and it sits at

4 Spurs 64
    5 City 63
    6 Villa 61
    7 Pool 59

I think we still have the edge and a lot could be decided by the result of the Villa City match Villa need to win it to have a chance at fourth and City need to win it to put the pressure on Spurs a 5 point gap Between Spurs and Liverpool that could be just too big for them to make up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Spurs
    I think it's now Spurs to lose. If City don't get 3 points at Villa, then even if Spurs lose the City game they would be 4th, I'd expect them to win against Bolton & Burnley.

Yeah it's a crazy end to the season - any of 4 teams could realistically finish in 4th, it's just mad.

no

realistically theres only 3 who can do it

the 4th team need a miracle, some teams to go into administration, and a meteor to hit somewhere in london

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

okay Liverpool still have to play but imo they really should be out of this now so

Spurs lose vs Man Utd
    City draw vs Arsenal
    Villa win vs Brum

club----pts---played

Spurs----64---35
    Villa
    64----36
    City
    63----35

Remaining fixtures:

Spurs vs Bolton
    Villa vs City
    City vs Spurs
    Villa vs Blackburn
    Spurs vs Burnley
    City vs West ham

Remaining fixtures:

Spurs vs Bolton spurs
    Villa vs City draw
    City vs Spurs city
    Villa vs Blackburn villa
    Spurs vs Burnley spurs
    west hamv city city

Which would mean:

Spurs 71
    City 70
    Villa 68

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You forgot west ham v city city

Which would mean:

Spurs 71
    City 70
    Villa 68

maths fail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I'm calling it for City, they should have the beatings of Spurs and Villa at their place.

Helix wrote: »
    maths fail

:pac:

What did I miss?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    :pac:

What did I miss?

nothing actually, i made a balls of it... it was a self fulfilling prophecy of a post lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Judging by City's past two performances there will be draws in their games against Villa and Spurs.

Spurs to get 4th.

nothing actually, i made a balls of it... it was a self fulfilling prophecy of a post lol

actually no i was right initially, youve city to pick up 7 points, but youve also got them drawing with spurs and villa

the points tallies dont line up

youve spurs to get 7 points (beating bolton and burnley and drawing with city i assume)
    villa to get 4 points (beating blackburn and drawing with city)
    and city to get 7 points, which they can only do by winning 2 and drawing 1 of their remaining 3

Manchester City
    What will happen if City & Spurs finish on the same points with the same goal difference?

What will happen if City & Spurs finish on the same points with the same goal difference?

goes to goals for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Spurs
    I know its a one match play off in a neutral venue if this happens between 1st and 2nd so i presume its the same in this case?

Edit, thats if they've scored the same amount of goals and all..

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I know its a one match play off in a neutral venue if this happens between 1st and 2nd so i presume its the same in this case?

nah its goals for afaik, the play off is only if everything is the same

could be wrong tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Spurs
    Nah, forgot about that, duly edited! :)

Manchester City
    goes to goals for

Bugger, we'll need to put quite a few past Bolton and Burnley then! :(

Bolton is going to be a very difficult game our bogey team we will need to show a lot of guts and gile to beat them a draw for villa and city would be perfect though

So 2-3 Games Left who's going to take fourth?

Who would you like to take fourth?
    Spurs 35 played 64 points 1.83ppg max 73
    Villa 36 played 64 points 1.78ppg max 70
    City 35 played 63 points 1.8 ppg max 72
    Pool 36 played 62 points 1.72ppg max 68

Spurs
    Villa
    City
    Pool
    Sat 1---Bolton(H)
    City(A)
    Villa(H)
    Sun 2
    Chelsea(H)
    Wed 5--City(A)
    Spurs(H)
    Sun 9--Burnley(A)
    Blackburn(H)----WestHam(A)--Hull(A)
    I Reckon Villa must win at City this weekend to get it.
    City must take at least 4 points from there next two games with a win against spurs
    Spurs must win against Burnley and Bolton
    Liverpool have to hope for all the other teams to draw against each other and loose another game each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Manchester City

Spurs
    Villa
    City
    Pool
    Sat 1---Bolton(H)
    City(A)
    Villa(H)
    Sun 2
    Chelsea(H)
    Wed 5--City(A)
    Spurs(H)
    Sun 9--Burnley(A)
    City must take at least 4 points from there next two games with a win against spurs
    Liverpool have to hope for all the other teams to draw against each other and loose another game each
    City trying to get Joe Hart back from Birmingham. Other clubs staying silent for the moment. Could be an interesting development there

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8644269.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Manchester City

Spurs
    Villa
    City
    Pool
    Sat 1---Bolton(H)
    City(A)
    Villa(H)
    Sun 2
    Chelsea(H)
    Wed 5--City(A)
    Spurs(H)
    Sun 9--Burnley(A)

To me Villa have to win at City as their goal difference is considerably worse than the rest. Pool obviously have to win both their games too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Spurs
    City trying to get Joe Hart back from Birmingham. Other clubs staying silent for the moment. Could be an interesting development there

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8644269.stm

The Hart move was blocked, and rightly so. They have signed Fulop who has been excellent this season for Sunderland,

Don't think it should have been allowed either though, they have 9 keepers on their books according to SkySports, it can't really be described as an emergency loan, like what it has been put through as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Spurs are now favourites in my book though having Spurs V City and Villa V City still to play it is very much still up for grabs. Unless those two games are draws Liverpool have little chance of getting it even if they win their last two games which is unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Manchester City
    The Hart move was blocked, and rightly so. They have signed Fulop who has been excellent this season for Sunderland,

Don't think it should have been allowed either though, they have 9 keepers on their books according to SkySports, it can't really be described as an emergency loan, like what it has been put through as.
    Nine Keepers. How many from the reserve team up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Spurs
    Nine Keepers. How many from the reserve team up?

I don't know, i'm just going on the number Sky Sports were reporting.

If Man City can loan out Hart because he is too good to be sitting on the bench, they should have adequate cover remaining, they should make sure they have adequate cover remaining to cover injuries.

Surely one of the guys is good enough to step between the posts, if they were not fighting for 4th i don't think an "emergency" loan would have been called in, they would have blooded one of the other guys. For that reason i view it as an advantage to them outside of a transfer window and i don't agree with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

man, people hate Spurs.

20 people thought they'd ever get 4th.

Villa with more votes?

we all could end up looking a bit stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

SlickRic wrote: »

Soccer forum posters potentially looking stupid?! Well, I never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Manchester City
    man, people hate Spurs.

Villa with more votes?

I think at the time the vote was taken they weren't in that favourable a position. But yeah, looks like we could all be eating our words in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Spurs
    Down to the wire. Liverpool will have to beat Chelsea to have any chance. Villa still there. Too tough to call.

man, people hate Spurs.

Villa with more votes?

I think we had just lost to wolves away the poll in ssc had only 2 people that thought we'd get it after that dreadful performance and I didn't vote before the deadline I ment to though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Soccer forum posters potentially looking stupid?! Well, I never!

The sheer volume of people who voted for Liverpool is the main illustration of this point. even back when the poll was created, it was obvious that they wouldn't get near 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Manchester City
    Des wrote: »
    The sheer volume of people who voted for Liverpool is the main illustration of this point. even back when the poll was created, it was obvious that they wouldn't get near 4th.

I've been as vocal as anyone in thinking they'd get 4th.

My confidence was based on my opinion of the challengers rather than any great faith in Liverpool tbh.

I honestly thought it'd be the same old story with Spurs and they'd fall away. They've shocked me with their staying power. I thought the three games against the top three would kill them, but they've done brilliantly.

City I just thought would make a balls of it 'cos they're City and thats what they do.

And I never rated Villa as good enough for the CL.

I thought Pool would get their act together wnough to make the CL like they have done for the past few years and in Torres had a senstionla player who could fire them into it almost singlehandedly.

Not for the first time and certainly not the last it looks I was wrong on a number of scores. Of course its not over yet....:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    I've been as vocal as anyone in thinking they'd get 4th.

My confidence was based on my opinion of the challengers rather than any great faith in Liverpool tbh.

I honestly thought it'd be the same old story with Spurs and they'd fall away. They've shocked me with their staying power. I thought the three games against the top three would kill them, but they've done brilliantly.

City I just thought would make a balls of it 'cos they're City and thats what they do.

And I never rated Villa as good enough for the CL.

I thought Pool would get their act together wnough to make the CL like they have done for the past few years and in Torres had a senstionla player who could fire them into it almost singlehandedly.

Not for the first time and certainly not the last it looks I was wrong on a number of scores. Of course its not over yet....:pac:

great post :D

remember constantley calling you (and others) on the Villa Liverpool thing too saying that if people considerd Villa out of the race then surely you should Liverpool and yet so many not only said they were in it but still favourites, tbh the way this season has gone Liverpool are lucky that Pompey were refused entry to Europe as otherwise they might not have even made the Europa, which has shocked me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

......and then there were two......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The midweek game is set up so nicely.

yep two horse race now, City vs Spurs should decide all if we get a winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Just heard Redknapp there say Gomes hurt his groin and he only has 4 more keepers on the books so he'll ask the FA if he can get 2 more in on loan....legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Spurs
    Just heard Redknapp there say Gomes hurt his groin and he only has 4 more keepers on the books so he'll ask the FA if he can get 2 more in on loan....legend.

I'm sure we have a spare one now that we got Fulop, maybe they can ask for Nielson;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Manchester City
    Des wrote: »

Liverpool supporters are owners of the worlds sexiest rose tinted glasses, of course they will get 4th.

unless its mathematically mathematically mathematiciallically lost....:cool::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Manchester City
    Liverpool supporters are owners of the worlds sexiest rose tinted glasses, of course they will get 4th.

unless its mathematically mathematically mathematiciallically lost....:cool::cool:

By Liverpool you mean the city? The rose tinted glasses seems to be a Liverpudlian thing going from posts from March.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Manchester City
    This Wednesday tie could be so much damm fun, a real title decider vibe to it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Spurs
    yep two horse race now, City vs Spurs should decide all if we get a winner

Then it'll be a draw and go to the last day of the season. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Arsenal are back in this race! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Manchester City
    mike65 wrote: »
    Arsenal are back in this race! :p

Possible, but no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan