Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race for 4th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i still think villa will get 4th, i still believe 66 points will get you fourth

its funny last night to see liverpool fans saying that they would need to win all 9 remaining games to get 4th, thats not the case, that would put them on 75 points a total by which the premier league has been won in the past, the standard hasn't improved that much where a team finishing on 75 points scrape just 4th place.............surely not
    Tthey won't need to win the remaining home games but they need to win all there remaining home games which bar chelsea they look a good bet to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Manchester City
    Tthey won't need to win the remaining home games but they need to win all there remaining home games which bar chelsea they look a good bet to do

Somebody posted 68 points is the average 4th place from the last few seasons. Liverpool would need 20 out of 27 points which would be the type of form to clinch it.

Really, the have to win all home games or at worst, draw to Chelsea. That leaves 7 points to gain from 4 away games, 1 of which is United. They also have Birmingham and then Burnley and Hull, 2 teams who'll be scrapping for their lives. They should be capable of 7, but we all know what games against relegation battlers are like then, never mind our dreadful away form.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

they have never beaten an avram grant managed team in any competition so i wouldn't bet the mortgage on next weeks fixture lets just say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Manchester City
    Still think Pool will come out on top myself. We've been in this situation before, both Arsenal and Pool in the past have made hard work of 4th. But ultimately the experience of a squad like Pools, coupled with the ability of the few like Gerrard and Torres wins out.

I certainly wouldn't bet my house on spurs getting it but i wouldn't bet the house on any of the four getting it. Unless Liverpool loose another 2 games or draw several at home I certainly wouldn't count them out

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Somebody posted 68 points is the average 4th place from the last few seasons.

its not 4th place average one should be looking at its fifth, i have no doubt that the lowest points total since 2004/05 will get a team fourth so in that case heres how many it took to get 5th

2008-09 everton finished on 63
    2007-08 everton finished on 65
    2006-7 spurs finished on 60
    2005-06 spurs 65
    2004-05 liverpool 58
    2003-04 newcastle 56
    2002-03 liverpool 64
    2001-02 leeds 66
    2000-01 ipswich 66
    1999-00 chelsea 65
    1998-99 west ham 57

i didn't go further back because the points tally got lower, as you can see 67 points would have clinched 4th every season, 66 every season as well had a team a goal difference of +17

Still think Pool will come out on top myself. We've been in this situation before, both Arsenal and Pool in the past have made hard work of 4th.

difference is liverpool have lost out twice before when the chips were down, 2003-04 season to chelsea and 2004-05 season to everton (even though that didn't matter in the end)

Manchester City
    its not 4th place average one should be looking at its fifth, i have no doubt that the lowest points total since 2004/05 will get a team fourth so in that case heres how many it took to get 5th

2008-09 everton finished on 63
    2007-08 everton finished on 65
    2006-7 spurs finished on 60
    2005-06 spurs 65
    2004-05 liverpool 58
    2003-04 newcastle 56
    2002-03 liverpool 64
    2001-02 leeds 66
    2000-01 ipswich 66
    1999-00 chelsea 65
    1998-99 west ham 57

i didn't go further back because the points tally got lower, as you can see 67 points would have clinched 4th every season, 66 every season as well had a team a goal difference of +17

Seeing as City, who are fifth now are on 49 points with 11 games to go, it could well be around the 65 mark. 68 for 4th probably isn't far off as I'd say there'll be little between 4th to 8th.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Villa
    As an optimistic spurs fan im going for spurs. They dont have to worry about travelling in Europe and are holding onto 4th at the minute. Obviously theres a long way to go but i can see them winning 7/8 or their last 10 which i think would be good enough.

Other than them city have to be the favourites for it i think. Theyve the best squad, matches in hand and are in good form.

Liverpools chances are very slim in my opinion. I still think they will pick up a lot of points but now their reliance on all other 3 teams dropping more points than them will cost them seeing as theyve played more matches than the other 3.

Villa clearly still have a shout but i can see their fixture build up causing them problems and theyll have a huge game at wembley with chelsea at a crucial stage of the run in.

My prediction then is that the teams are staying in the same order as they are now but as ive said thats slightly optimistic. If i was putting the house on it though id probably go city due to Spurs' desire for bottling it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The race for 4th is certainly more interesting than I ever thought it would be, however I can still see 'pool sneaking it. We were in a good enough run until wigan, but I think we will just sneak it. Spurs are spurs -enough said. Villa are Villa - enough said. Both have proven themselves to get nose bleeds if they are up there with a 6/7 games left. Citeh are a different case. They ae not used to being up their but they have some players that have that experience. This might be enough but they are as likely to lose the next match as they were unlikely to beat the chavs, I think they don't even know what's around the next corner, performance wise. Not much to choose between them but that vital thing - experience - might be enough for the 'pool. But their performances are nearly as up and down as Citeh's - what odds goal difference deciding who finishes fourth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Manchester City
    i am 100% confident that whichever team gets to 68-69 points will be 4th

for that reason liverpool are still very much in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Spurs
    I am very confident that this race is pointless as they will all go out in the qualifiers. The clever team will finish 5th and save themselves embarrassment and hassle.

CHD wrote: »
    I am very confident that this race is pointless as they will all go out in the qualifiers. The clever team will finish 5th and save themselves embarrassment and hassle.
    I was thinking this aswell would be horrofic to go out in qualifier round

Manchester City
    I was thinking this aswell would be horrofic to go out in qualifier round

very strange attitudes you chaps have :confused:

kryogen wrote: »
    very strange attitudes you chaps have :confused:
    Not taking a bad attitude but was thinking after years of trying to break into the champions league spot it would be seriously disapointing to get knocked out in the qualifier not saying any team will just saying it would be heartbreaking after all that work.

Manchester City
    Not taking a bad attitude but was thinking after years of trying to break into the champions league spot it would be seriously disapointing to get knocked out in the qualifier not saying any team will just saying it would be heartbreaking after all that work.

course it would, but would you not be of the opinion that if your team is good enough to finish fourth in the EPL then it has a more then decent shot at reaching the groupo stages?

at the very least they will still be in Europa League anyway no?

kryogen wrote: »
    course it would, but would you not be of the opinion that if your team is good enough to finish fourth in the EPL then it has a more then decent shot at reaching the groupo stages?

at the very least they will still be in Europa League anyway no?
    Oh ya and I would hope that come summer if we did get fourth the funds would be there to add to the squad. I would be hoping that we'd be as good or better then any other team we could come up against

this is something that hadn't crossed my mind, given their recent european records (or lack thereof) city, villa or spurs will be drawn with the likes of Sevilla, Juventus, celtic/rangers, the second placed dutch team which atm is psv, ajax are third, the third placed german team which atm is a very decent leverkusen

liverpool on the other hand will probably get an easier match as they will be seeded

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Spurs
    this is something that hadn't crossed my mind, given their recent european records (or lack thereof) city, villa or spurs will be drawn with the likes of Sevilla, Juventus, celtic/rangers, the second placed dutch team which atm is psv, ajax are third, the third placed german team which atm is a very decent leverkusen

liverpool on the other hand will probably get an easier match as they will be seeded
    Bang on with that AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Manchester City
    Remaining Fixures - Premier League
    [b]		Tottenham		Man City		Liverpool		Aston Villa		Everton[/b]

Sat 13/03 PL	Blackburn (h)								Stoke (a)		Birmingham (a)
    Sun 14/04 PL				Sunderland (a)

Mon 15/03 PL							Portsmouth (h) 
    Tue 16/03 PL										Wigan (a)
    Sat 20/03 PL	Stoke (a)								Wolves (h)		Bolton (h) 
    Sun 21/03 PL				Fulham (a)		Man Utd (a)	

Wed 24/04 PL				Everton (h)					Sunderland (h)		Man City (a) 
    Sat 27/03 PL	Portsmouth (h)								Chelsea (a)		Wolves (a)
    Sun 28/03 PL							Sunderland (h)	

Mon 29/03 PL				Wigan (h) 
    Sat 03/04 PL	Sunderland (a)		Burnley (a) 		Birmingham (a)		Bolton (a) 	
    Sun 04/04 PL													West Ham (h)

Sat 10/04 PL	Arsenal (h)								Everton (h)		Aston Villa (a)
    Sun 11/04 PL				Birmingham (h) 		Fulham (h)

Sat 17/04 PL	Chelsea (a)		Man Utd (h) 								Blackburn (a) 
    Sun 18/04 PL										Portsmouth (a)

TBC       PL	Man City (a)		Tottenham (h)					Hull (a)

Mon 19/04 PL							West Ham (h)	
    Sat 24/04 PL				Arsenal (a) 		Burnley (a)					Fulham (h) 	
    Sun 25/04 PL	Man Utd (a)								Birmingham (h)

Sun 01/05 PL	Bolton (h)		Aston Villa (h)		Chelsea (h) 		Man City (a)		Stoke (a)

Sun 09/05 PL	Burnley (a)		West Ham (a) 		Hull (a)		Blackburn (h) 		Pompey (h) 

Remaing Fixtures - All Competitions

Thu 11/03 EL							[i]Lille (a)[/i]
    Sat 13/03 PL	Blackburn (h)								Stoke (a)		Birmingham (a)
    Sun 14/04 PL				Sunderland (a)

Mon 15/03 PL							Portsmouth (h)
    Tue 16/03 PL										Wigan (a)
    Thu 18/03 EL							[i]Lille (h)[/i]
    Sat 20/03 PL	Stoke (a)								Wolves (h)		Bolton (h)
    Sun 21/03 PL				Fulham (a)		Man Utd (a)

Wed 24/04 FA	[i]Fulham (h)[/i]
    Wed 24/04 PL				Everton (h)					Sunderland (h)		Man City (a)
    Sat 27/03 PL	Portsmouth (h)								Chelsea (a)		Wolves (a)
    Sun 28/03 PL							Sunderland (h)

Mon 29/03 PL				Wigan (h)
    Thu 01/04 EL							[i][u]Europa League QF[/i][/u]
    Sat 03/04 PL	Sunderland (a)		Burnley (a)		Birmingham (a)		Bolton (a)
    Sun 04/04													West Ham (h)
    								[i][u]Europa League QF[/i][/u]
    Sat 10/04 FA	[i][u]Portmouth (H)[/i][/u]								[i]Chelsea (h)[/i]
    Sat 10/04 PL	Arsenal (h)								Everton (h)		Aston Villa (a)
    Sun 11/04 PL				Birmingham (h)		Fulham (h)

Sat 17/04 PL	Chelsea (a)		Man Utd (h)								Blackburn (a)
    Sun 18/04 PL										Portsmouth (a)

TBC       PL	Man City (a)		Tottenham (h)					Hull (a)

Mon 19/04							West Ham (h)
    Thu 22/04							[i][u]Europa League SF[/i][/u]
    Sat 24/04 PL				Arsenal (a)		Burnley (a)					Fulham (h)
    Sun 25/04 PL	Man Utd (a)								Birmingham (h)

Thu 29/04							[i][u]Europa League SF[/i][/u]
    Sun 01/05 PL	Bolton (h)		Aston Villa (h)		Chelsea (h)		Man City (a)		Stoke (a)

Sat
    Sun 09/05 PL	Burnley (a)		West Ham (a)		Hull (a)		Blackburn (h)		Pompey (h)

Wed 12/05 EL							[i][u]Europa League Final[/i][/u]
    Sat 15/05 FA	[i][u]FA Cup Final (H)[/i][/u]							[i][u]FA Cup Final (H)[/i][/u]

* [i]Matches in italics are non PL matches[/i]
    ** [I][u] Matches in italics and underlined are non PL matches that require qualification in order to reach next round[/i][/u]

• Advertisement

Manchester City
    My predictions:

Sat 13/03 PL	Blackburn (h)	3pts							Stoke (a) 	1pts	Birmingham (a) 	1pts
    Sun 14/04 PL				Sunderland (a) 	3pts

Mon 15/03 PL							Portsmouth (h) 	3pts
    Tue 16/03 PL										Wigan (a) 	1pts
    Sat 20/03 PL	Stoke (a)	1pts							Wolves (h) 	3pts	Bolton (h) 	3pts
    Sun 21/03 PL				Fulham (a) 	1pts	Man Utd (a) 	1pts

Wed 24/04 PL				Everton (h) 	1pts				Sunderland (h) 	3pts	Man City (a) 	1pts
    Sat 27/03 PL	Portsmouth (h)	3pts							Chelsea (a) 	0pts	Wolves (a) 	3pts
    Sun 28/03 PL							Sunderland (h) 	3pts

Mon 29/03 PL				Wigan (h) 	3pts
    Sat 03/04 PL	Sunderland (a)	1pts	Burnley (a) 	3pts	Birmingham (a)	1pts	Bolton (a) 	1pts
    Sun 04/04 PL													West Ham (h) 	3pts

Sat 10/04 PL	Arsenal (h)	1pts							Everton (h)	1pts	Aston Villa (a)	1pts
    Sun 11/04 PL				Birmingham (h) 	3pts	Fulham (h) 	3pts

Sat 17/04 PL	Chelsea (a)	0pts	Man Utd (h) 	1pts							Blackburn (a) 	3pts
    Sun 18/04 PL										Portsmouth (a) 	3pts

TBC       PL	Man City (a)	1pts	Tottenham (h)	1pts				Hull (a)	3pts

Mon 19/04 PL							West Ham (h) 	3pts
    Sat 24/04 PL				Arsenal (a) 	0pts	Burnley (a) 	3pts				Fulham (h) 	1pts
    Sun 25/04 PL	Man Utd (a)	0pts							Birmingham (h) 	1pts

Sun 01/05 PL	Bolton (h)	3pts	Aston Villa (h)	1pts	Chelsea (h) 	0pts	Man City (a) 	1pts	Stoke (a) 	1pts

Sun 09/05 PL	Burnley (a)	3pts	West Ham (a) 	1pts	Hull (a) 	3pts	Blackburn (h) 	3pts	Pompey (h) 	3pts

Based on the above, it will finish as follows:
    Liverpool		48 + 20 = 68
    Man City		49 + 18 = 67
    Tottenham		49 + 16 = 65
    Aston Villa		45 + 20 = 65
    Everton			41 + 20 = 61

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You're all right about the qualifiers. If Villa get 4th I won't be celebrating as at least 2, probably 3 qualifiers await.
    But Villa in the group stages of the Champions League, wow, that's mind boggling for me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Manchester City

AFAIK, the seeding system has changed. Without a doubt, the English 4th place team will be drawn against the likes of Sevilla, Juve, Celtic/Rangers. It doesnt matter if they have a higher seeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Manchester City
    Based on the above, I see it finishing like this;

Man City : 49 + 19 = 68
    Liverpool : 48 + 20 = 67
    Villa : 45 + 22 = 67
    Spurs : 49 + 16 = 65
    Everton : 41 + 21 = 62

As a Spurs fan, pretty disappointing, though it would be nice to see someone else in that fourth spot other than Liverpool.

Manchester City
    Spurs City Liverpool Villa
    Home vs. Bottom 12 3 2 4 4
    Home vs. Top 3 1 1 1 1
    Away vs. Bottom 12 3 4 3 5
    Away vs. Top 3 2 1 1 1
    6-Pointer 1(a) 3(h) 1(a)

PHB wrote: »
    I look at that list in a different way:

Spurs, City, Liverpool, Villa

Spurs:
    3 home vs. bottom 12 (inlc. Brum not including Everton)
    2 home vs. top 3
    3 away vs. bottom 12
    1 away vs. top 3

1 away 6-pointer

City:
    1 home vs. bottom 12
    1 home vs. top 3
    4 away vs. bottom 12
    1 away vs. top 3

3 home 6-pointers

Liverpool:
    4 home vs. bottom 12
    1 home vs. top 3
    3 away vs. bottom 12
    1 away vs. top 3

Villa:
    4 home vs. bottom 12
    1 home vs. top 8
    5 away vs. bottom 12
    1 away vs. top 3

1 away 6-pointer
    fyp.
    We're actually at home to Chelsea who we beat last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Villa
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The race for 4th is certainly more interesting than I ever thought it would be, however I can still see 'pool sneaking it. We were in a good enough run until wigan, but I think we will just sneak it. Spurs are spurs -enough said. Villa are Villa - enough said. Both have proven themselves to get nose bleeds if they are up there with a 6/7 games left. Citeh are a different case. They ae not used to being up their but they have some players that have that experience. This might be enough but they are as likely to lose the next match as they were unlikely to beat the chavs, I think they don't even know what's around the next corner, performance wise. Not much to choose between them but that vital thing - experience - might be enough for the 'pool. But their performances are nearly as up and down as Citeh's - what odds goal difference deciding who finishes fourth?

Liverpool are Liverpool. Enough said

Manchester City
    The hardest will be for City imo. They have to play Spurs, Villa and Everton, in addition to their top 3 matches. Should they come through them, they'll be in great shape.

I guess what Liverpool fans are hoping is going to happen is draws between Spurs, Villa and City. That'd be great for them. Indeed, Jesus's predictions have draws in their.

I think if City come through with 6 points from their 3 six pointers, they'll probably take it. However, Villa's run looks by far, by far, the easiest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Spurs
    Last three fixtures for Spurs, City and Liverpool are all teams who are in a relagation battle.

Well with Pompey pretty much gone it'd really make for interesting viewing especially if Burnley, West Ham and Hull all need a result to stay in the league while City, Spurs and Pool need a result to get 4th.

It could happen given the way this league has gone this season.

What an epic last day that'd be.

• Advertisement

Manchester City
    If it comes down to the last day, I hope the Spurs caterers know where their ingredients are coming from!

SuprSi wrote: »
    If it comes down to the last day, I hope the Spurs caterers know where their ingredients are coming from!
    Same place as Last time special courrier from the emirates!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Manchester City
    AFAIK, the seeding system has changed. Without a doubt, the English 4th place team will be drawn against the likes of Sevilla, Juve, Celtic/Rangers. It doesnt matter if they have a higher seeding.

Yep
    Wiki wrote:
    5 of the remaining ten qualifying places are granted to the winners of a four round qualifying tournament between the remaining 39 or 38 national champions, within which those champions from associations with higher coefficients receive byes to later rounds. The other 5 are granted to the winners of a two round qualifying tournament between the 15 clubs from the associations ranked 1-15, which have qualified based upon finishing 2nd-4th in their national league.

2 rounds of qualifiers against teams from:

England (4th)
    Spain (4th)
    Italy (4th)
    Germany (3rd)
    France (3rd)
    Russia (3rd)
    Ukraine (2nd)
    Romania (2nd)
    Portugal (2nd)
    Netherlands (2nd)
    Turkey (2nd)
    Greece (2nd)
    Switzerland (2nd or 1st & 2nd if Champions League holders fail to automatically qualify)
    Denmark (1st & 2nd)
    Belgium (1st & 2nd)

I'd expect whoever finishes 4th to at least come close if they don't qualify!

Manchester City
    I guess what Liverpool fans are hoping is going to happen is draws between Spurs, Villa and City. That'd be great for them. Indeed, Jesus's predictions have draws in their..

Have to play it safe :)

I have absoultely no doubt that I will be very wrong come the end of the season. Sure it wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool beat United or Chelsea for example and lose to Hull or Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Spurs
    Manchester City.

19 more points to finish 4th
    Spurs are fourth in the table with 10 games remaining in their campaign and Redknapp is relishing the chance of becoming in the first Englishman since Sir Bobby Robson to take a Premier League club into Europe's top competition.
    "You are going to have to be aiming for 19 points to have a chance of finishing fourth," said Redknapp, ahead of his side's clash against Blackburn at White Hart Lane this weekend.
    "We are going to have win six games I would think and get a draw somewhere out of some very tough games.
    "We have got Chelsea, Man United and Arsenal and are away to Stoke and Sunderland. They are very tough games. It is a big ask and we have got a really tough run in."
    David Moyes' Everton, back in 2005, were the last team to break the dominance of the traditional top four - but this season sees Aston Villa, Manchester City and Spurs challenging.
    "Yeah, it'd be nice and it would be a great honour," Redknapp said.
    Redknapp, despite the injury problems in his squad this season, has been delighted with his side's performances and believes is players deserve to be in the Champions League.
    He said: "I would look forward to them doing that. And we have done well when you consider we have lost Jonathan Woodgate and Ledley King who were probably up there with Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic or (John) Terry and (Ricardo) Carvalho.
    "We have lost Aaron Lennon for god knows how long and he was absolutely flying. Then we lose Huddlestone and Jenas and Modric was out for months. Yet we have still managed to maintain the challenge.
    "It is great really because I think a lot of people thought we would fall away once we lost those key players but we have kept it going."
    The news is not good on Aaron Lennon's return from a groin injury, as no comeback date has been set.
    When asked if Lennon would play again this season, Redknapp said: "I hope so, I couldn't sit here and say for sure, I hope he's going to be fit. I just hope, we need him, and David Bentley's out as well.
    "It's just a case of getting him back out there when he's ready and start building him up again."
    Lennon, David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas, Tom Huddlestone and King are out of the Blackburn clash, while Woodgate has undergone groin surgery and is likely to miss the rest of the season.
    Thats 68 points to finish fourth which is in Line with most people's opinions here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Everyone seems to think 68/69pts will be enough to get 4th, so here are the required pts per game need by each team to get 69pts.

So far:
      Man City 49pts from 27 games =
    1.81 Pts per game.
      Spurs 52pts from 29 games =
    1.79 Pts per game.
      Villa 46pts from 27 games =
    1.70 Pts per game.
      Liverpool 48pts from 29 games =
    1.66 Pts per game

If Man City continue to match 1.81 Pts per game they will reach 69pts.(On target with a lot of peoples perdictions)

Here are the points per game required for a team to reach 69pts.
      Man City 20pts from 11 games =
    1.81 Pts Per game.
      Spurs 17pts from 9 games =
    1.89 Pts a game.
      Villa 23pts from 11 games =
    2.09 Pts per game.
      Liverpool 21pts from 9 games =
    2.33 Pts per game.

Both Spurs and City have tough run ins, but need below 2pts a game to reach 69pts.

Villa's draw today took them over the 2pts a game margin.

Liverpool's maximum pts total is 75. So they are one loss away from being on match point (i.e. Reducing max to 72pts, and with another loss putting on 69pts) for every game remaning game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Manchester City
    jaysus man, you need some fresh air....:p

Manchester City
    jaysus man, you need some fresh air....:p

You aren't a fan of the scientific approach to discussion? Who would have thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Manchester City
    With all 4 teams being hot and cold i think the race for 4th has injected some much needed drama into the league.It is good to see 4 teams actually chasing 4th instead of it being a who will finish higher non entity between Arsenal and Liverpool as we are used to scenario.Whilst i thought Pool were bankers for 4th now i am not so sure, i picked them in the poll too but dressing room unrest is becoming more apparent it seems.
    Considering this has been one of the worst leagues in years performance wise, to have 7 teams in 2 mini leagues for the major prizes has been the only plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Manchester City
    You aren't a fan of the scientific approach to discussion? Who would have thought!

im very scientific.....

but football, eh

statistically, it cant be proven that xx points will deffo get 4th.

hyphotheticially statistically, erm

speaking.......:)

"btw: No matter where they play, and no matter whether they are badly or well placed in the league, they always manage to serve up football of the highest scientific order..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Villa
    I think Spurs will nick it.
    4 teams goin for 4th and 3 teams neck and neck for the title, most exciting season in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Manchester City
    25gt92b.jpg

:pac:

You almost need a new poll every week on this and really it's as close as ever a month after this thread was started I'm hoping for spurs to Nick it but I really don't know

Manchester City
    I set a close date on the poll on purpose so at the end we can see who was right :)

if spurs take it will be a great feat

utd, chelsea and city yet to play away, arsenal at home and tough away fixtures at sunderland and stoke yet to come

i noticed jesus_thats_gre reckons spurs will only pick up 4 points from those 6 games and he might not be too far wrong there

69 points is still too much for me, 66 should get you fourth

Manchester City

utd, chelsea and city yet to play away, arsenal at home and tough away fixtures at sunderland and stoke yet to come

i noticed jesus_thats_gre reckons spurs will only pick up 4 points from those 6 games and he might not be too far wrong there

I'd have Spurs 4th favourites at the minute, I'd be surprised Liverpool don't finish ahead of them, despite the 4 point advantage. Its just such a tough run in.

City have a tough run in too, most of the top 6 games at home though and they've a great home record.

I'd have Villa favourites at the minute, was expecting a draw at Stoke.

Actually we have Chelsea at the lane where we took them for three points last year so hopefully we can repeat that feat

Manchester City
    Big blow for Spurs - Defoe out for a few weeks with a torn hamstring :mad:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/defoe-suffers-hamstring-injury-blow-1924053.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Villa
    Huge blow but from what I've seen Crouch aids Pav more than he aids Defoe.

Manchester City
    So Villa don't want it, eh :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement