Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race for 4th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Helix wrote: »
    whoever finishes below them will likely have more money to spend than them too though

Yup every team in the top 10 bar perhaps Fulham and even S'land will probably be spending more then Pool.

Villa will probably draw too many to take 4th i fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to think 68/69pts will be enough to get 4th, so here are the required pts per game need by each team to get 69pts.

So far:
      Man City 49pts from 27 games =
    1.81 Pts per game.
      Spurs 52pts from 29 games =
    1.79 Pts per game.
      Villa 46pts from 27 games =
    1.70 Pts per game.
      Liverpool 48pts from 31 games =
    1.66 Pts per game

If Man City continue to match 1.81 Pts per game they will reach 69pts.(On target with a lot of peoples perdictions)

Here are the points per game required for a team to reach 69pts.
      Man City 20pts from 11 games =
    1.81 Pts Per game.
      Spurs 17pts from 9 games =
    1.89 Pts a game.
      Villa 23pts from 11 games =
    2.09 Pts per game.
      Liverpool 21pts from 9 games =
    2.33 Pts per game.

Update-

Target is still 69pts.

So far:
      Spurs 55pts from 30 games =
    1.83 Pts per game.
      Man City 53pts from 29 games =
    1.83 Pts per game.
      Villa 50pts from 29 games =
    1.72 Pts per game.
      Liverpool 48pts from 29 games =
    1.65 Pts per game

City, Spurs and Villa all slightly increased their PPG ratio, while Liverpool's decreased marginally.

Points per game required for a team to reach 69pts.
      Spurs 14pts from 8 games =
    1.75 Pts a game.
      Man City 16pts from 9 games =
    1.78 Pts Per game.
      Villa 19pts from 9 games =
    2.11 Pts per game.
      Liverpool 18pts from 7 games =
    2.57 Pts per game.

Spurs have a slight advantage over City at the moment , but have arguably the toughest run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Update-

Target is still 69pts.

So far:
    • Spurs 55pts from 30 games = 1.83 Pts per game.
    • Man City 53pts from 29 games = 1.83 Pts per game.
    • Villa 50pts from 29 games = 1.72 Pts per game.
    • Liverpool 48pts from 29 games = 1.65 Pts per game

City, Spurs and Villa all slightly increased their PPG ratio, while Liverpool's decreased marginally.

• Spurs 14pts from 8 games = 1.75 Pts a game.
    • Man City 16pts from 9 games = 1.78 Pts Per game.
    • Villa 19pts from 9 games = 2.11 Pts per game.
    • Liverpool 18pts from 7 games = 2.57 Pts per game.

Spurs have a slight advantage over City at the moment , but have arguably the toughest run in.
    God when you look at it like that it's title winning form they need

God when you look at it like that it's title winning form they need

Yep... 2.57 ppg over the course of a season would give you 97 pts. Which would be way more than needed to win the league, considering runner up would be highly unlikely to finish on 96pts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Manchester City
    Update-

Target is still 69pts.

So far:
    • Spurs 55pts from 30 games = 1.83 Pts per game.
    • Man City 53pts from 29 games = 1.83 Pts per game.
    • Villa 50pts from 29 games = 1.72 Pts per game.
    • Liverpool 48pts from 29 games = 1.65 Pts per game

• Spurs 14pts from 8 games = 1.75 Pts a game.
    • Man City 16pts from 9 games = 1.78 Pts Per game.
    • Villa 19pts from 9 games = 2.11 Pts per game.
    • Liverpool 18pts from 7 games = 2.57 Pts per game.

Liverpool only have Chelsea left to play out of the top 7 and that's at home.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

First time I've had a look into this thread.

That PPG Needed thing is excellent, and not something I've heard mentioned on any of the podcasts or articles, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

K-9 wrote: »

Yep, true. Only problem for Liverpool at this stage is one slip-up, refereeing mistake, or a goalkeeping/defensive error and they can only reach a max of 69pts with Chelsea still to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Manchester City
    Update-

Target is still 69pts.

So far:
      Spurs 55pts from 30 games =
    1.83 Pts per game.
      Man City 53pts from 29 games =
    1.83 Pts per game.
      Villa 50pts from 29 games =
    1.72 Pts per game.
      Liverpool 48pts from 29 games =
    1.65 Pts per game

Spurs 14pts from 8 games =
    1.75 Pts a game.
      Man City 16pts from 9 games =
    1.78 Pts Per game.
      Villa 19pts from 9 games =
    2.11 Pts per game.
      Liverpool 18pts from 7 games =
    2.57 Pts per game.

Des wrote: »
    First time I've had a look into this thread.

That PPG Needed thing is excellent, and not something I've heard mentioned on any of the podcasts or articles, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Yeah, I like! Any chance of someone doing it up for the race for 1st thread? On a quick calculation it looks like Arsenal can only afford to drop 3 points to win the league!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Villa

Chelsea may be the only 'big' team liverpool still have to play but its not like they have been impressive against teams lower in the league either. Even if they were to win all their games bar the chelsea match, which i dont think is going to happen, i still dont think it would be enough. Theyd be reliant on city loosing 3/4 games from their last 9 which seems pretty unlikely

Manchester City
    Yep, true. Only problem for Liverpool at this stage is one slip-up, refereeing mistake, or a goalkeeping/defensive error and they can only reach a max of 69pts with Chelsea still to play.

Its a long shot alright, but the Home form has been good, won the last 6.

10 points from 12 at home and 7/9 Away, could do it. IMO, if they lose to Birmingham Away, its gone.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Manchester City
    MrKingsley wrote: »
    Chelsea may be the only 'big' team liverpool still have to play but its not like they have been impressive against teams lower in the league either. Even if they were to win all their games bar the chelsea match, which i dont think is going to happen, i still dont think it would be enough. Theyd be reliant on city loosing 3/4 games from their last 9 which seems pretty unlikely

6 of Cities games are against the top 8, 3 against teams needing points against relegation, though West Ham maybe safe come the last day. City need 16 points out of 27.

Considering they've drawn 11 of their 29 games, not a certainty.

10 points from 12 at home and 7/9 Away, could do it. IMO, if they lose to Birmingham Away, its gone.

Yep... Thats pretty much what I have them needing (17/18 pts) to sneak into 4th.

Liverpool's home form has been better this season than last season. So I can easily see them getting 10/12. Its the 3 games away from home that will prove vital.

Villa
    6 of Cities games are against the top 8, 3 against teams needing points against relegation, though West Ham maybe safe come the last day. City need 16 points out of 27.

Considering they've drawn 11 of their 29 games, not a certainty.

No not a certainty by any means. As i said in a previous post i think whats counting against liverpool, bar their form throughout the season, is that they are now too reliant on 3 teams dropping far more points than them over the next 2 months. City and Spurs have tough games to come alright but i think that they have the confidence and motivation (of CL football) to push on and seal it- one of them that is and im hoping its spurs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Manchester City
    The thing about Spurs, if 14 points is what they need, have a look at their remaining games.

Portsmouth (h)
    Sunderland (A)
    Bolton (h)
    Burnley (a)

Arsenal (h)
    Chelsea (h)
    United (a)
    City (a)

They could very easily get 12 out of 12 in those first four, especially if they maintain their form. Sunderland away is the hardest of it, and Sunderland are about to be hit by a case of mid-table who cares-ness.

Then all they'd need is 2 points from those other 4 games, which I'd be very surprised if they didn't get. One win in that group for Spurs isn't beyond it, especially with Arsenal and United tired from the CL aswell. Spurs play United inbetween the potential CL semi final. Spurs play Arsenal after their likely gruelling double tie with Barca.

Manchester City
    Yep... Thats pretty much what I have them needing (17/18 pts) to sneak into 4th.

Liverpool's home form has been better this season than last season. So I can easily see them getting 10/12. Its the 3 games away from home that will prove vital.

I'm grasping at straws I know and Nando being back. Think its 3 goals in 9 Away games.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Spurs
    Ok so heres how I see it going now:

Man City can get 18 pts from 9 games 18 + 53 = 71
    Liverpool can 16 pts get 7 games 16 + 51 = 67
    Villa can get 20 pts from 9 games 20 + 50 = 70 (GD 17)
    Spurs can get 15 pts from 8 games = 15 + 55 = 70 (GD 26)

(Being optimistic for each team involved)

So the final table is

4. City 71
    5. Spurs 70
    6. Villa 70
    7. Liverpool 67

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Manchester City
    I really hope Pool get it purely because any of the others can outspend them if they get the spot.

City would be the worst to get it as iif they get CL football they'll be able to attract some serious talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Frisbee wrote: »
    I really hope Pool get it purely because any of the others can outspend them if they get the spot.

Liverpool quite simply don't deserve the spot.

They were terrible in the competition this year.

In fact they have been terrible in all competitions this season.

Personally would love to see Spurs get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Manchester City
    Boggles wrote: »

Of course they don't deserve it, but I hope they get it.

Pool
    Villa
    Spurs
    City

In that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Manchester City
    the team that gets it, deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Manchester City
    I personally love to see villa get it
    my 2nd choice is spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Manchester City

It doesn't really matter who we think deserves it though! Whoever pulls the finger out and gets the job done from here on in will get it! I don't necessarily think United have been the best team in the league for each of the last 3 seasons but, they got the job done and that's all that matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Manchester City
    Villa will bottle it anyways I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if Liverpool don't get it, Villa are the next team I want to get it.

but i say again, if Liverpool get it, it'll be f*cking hilarious considering how sh*te we've generally been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »

Nah. Wouldn't go along with that.

Liverpool were one of the worst teams in the competition this season.

If they manage to sneak fourth, can't imagine them being much better next season.

For me Spurs, they have the money, they are attractive and they play a good breed of football. They willl build for the next season. Only 3-4 players short of been an excellent squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Smegball wrote: »
    Villa will bottle it anyways I would say.

I thought Spurs would bottle it but they have picked up points the last few games they would have dropped last season. Villa seem to the team who have bottled it. I think Spurs will get the 4th spot. Between themselfs and Villa they both deserve it.

Villa

If they manage to sneak fourth, can't imagine them being much better next season.

For me Spurs, they have the money, they are attractive and they play a good breed of football. They willl build for the next season. Only 3-4 players short of been an excellent squad.

i think what Alan meant was that the team that finishes 4th will be the one that has got enough points for it, and therefore deserve it. Liverpool at the minute deserve to be off the pace but that doesnt mean they are completely out of it. If they were to win every match till the end of the season id hold my hands up and say fair play to them.

Id love spurs to get it alright but theyve only been so good this year, i think, because its the first time in 4 years that they havent been in Europe which is a blessing in disguise. id agree though that they are only 3/4 players off a squad that could play 50 odd matches a year

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

You know how a league works, right?

Manchester City

Yep, only if that team is Liverpool does this issue come up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

sorry to any man city fans i dont dislike your club but id hate if they got 4th. the top 4 or Sky 4 as they are often reffered to seem to finally be challenged atm but if City take 4th it could just see the creation of a new top 4 with Liverpool just being replaced by City and this race for 4th will be no more instead we will see a best of the rest between Villa, Pool, Everton & Spurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Manchester City
    Its actually very interesting to see the lack of Spurs votes in this poll. I voted Liverpool myself weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Manchester City
    As I've been saying for months, Liverpool are going to somehow schnake this due to the general sh*tness of the rest of the contenders.

Best chance these clown will ever have of getting into the CL yet they're predictably enogh falling apart.

Spurs seem the main threat now but they have a tough run of games coming up that'll put paid to them.

Should have backed Pool at 11-2 when I had the chance.

Smegball wrote: »
    Its actually very interesting to see the lack of Spurs votes in this poll. I voted Liverpool myself weeks ago.
    Ya the poll was started tho right after we lost to wolves so everyone thought we where finnished at that stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Manchester City
    Massive night of results for Spurs :D I certainly wouldn't have expected City to lose. A draw perhaps, but not lose. Without a doubt there will be more twists in this tale though and much and all as I dearly want Spurs to finish in 4th, there's still a long way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

On form it's hard to see past Spurs tbf

They'll need to get 4 points against the top 3 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Spurs
    All over for our shams anyway

SuprSi wrote: »
    Massive night of results for Spurs :D I certainly wouldn't have expected City to lose. A draw perhaps, but not lose. Without a doubt there will be more twists in this tale though and much and all as I dearly want Spurs to finish in 4th, there's still a long way to go.
    This sums it up exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Manchester City

:rolleyes:What are you talking about? Of course the team that gets it deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Manchester City
    it's disappointing to see villa falling away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Man City simply aint good enough this season, a few mercenaries playing for the paycheck and not the club. Aston Villa seem to have once again fallen short with drawing their last 3 games, six points dropped.

Its Spurs to lose now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Manchester City
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    All over for our shams anyway

No chance. It's not over for any of the challengers yet. Big, big matches coming up for everyone.

Manchester City
    Spurs have Arsenal, Chelsea & United in the space of a month, those games will make it or break it for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Villa drop 4 from last 6 points and have Chelsea on the horizon..... they will fade away.
    Citeh are beating Chelsea away and losing to Everton at home.... no idea what will happen to them.
    Pool will pick up alot of points in their run in I think and could -with a shít season- finish 4th.
    Spurs are picking up alot of injuries - another 2 tonight - and have a reasonably tough run in - plus the cup - so I think they will run out of steam.

All of the above is pure hypothesis/conjecture/nonsense/ etc. but I can see it happening. Pool have been utter crap for the most part of the season, how are they even still challenging for fourth? And yet I think they will get it.
    It's a funny old game!

Spurs have Arsenal, Chelsea & United in the space of a month, those games will make it or break it for them.
    Ya to be honest four points from the three games is a must and a win against city

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Manchester City
    Really can't call it - tonight results have thrown a cat amongst the pigeons, every team has a reasonable arguement as to why the could and why they won't get 4th spot.

Going to be massively entertaining anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Beat Pompey at home on Sat and we go 7 points clear of pool and villa , defoe and lennon back for the big games in april.

Manchester City
    You could say that about City and Spurs too. Everton are a dead cert then!

I actually had Everton 3 points behind Pool with a game in hand, which I think is City. Didn't really put much time into it though.

Posted that on the 22nd of February and looking at their run in and their current form, they could catch Pool.

Stoke, Blackburn and Villa Away, though and they have to hope for everybody else to collapse. Not a big ask the way everybody else is playing!

Manchester City
    BERBA wrote: »
    Beat Pompey at home on Sat and we go 7 points clear of pool and villa , defoe and lennon back for the big games in april.

7 points that could, and most probably will, vanish in a flash over the Chelsea/Arsenal/United games that follow....gonna be close as ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Manchester City

I can see them losing them all, as well as their heads. Injury list is mounting as well.

• Advertisement

Ya to be honest four points from the three games is a must and a win against city

I don't think you will need 7pts from the City, Arsenal, United and Chelsea games.

If (That's a big if) you Pick up 12pts from these games:

Portsmouth (h)
    Sunderland (A)
    Bolton (h)
    Burnley (a)

That leaves you on 67pts. Another win from the other 4 games will give you 70pts, which I think after tonights results should be enough.

Advertisement