Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race for 4th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Mr Alan wrote: »
    7 points that could, and most probably will, vanish in a flash over the Chelsea/Arsenal/United games that follow....gonna be close as ****.

i'd take the same outcome of results as last season now if you gave em to me , beat chelski at home , drew with goons and lost to utd , 4 pts id take that now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

BERBA wrote: »
    i'd take the same outcome of results as last season now if you gave em to me , beat chelski at home , drew with goons and lost to utd , 4 pts id take that now!

From a United perspective I'd take it too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Villa
    Am I the only one dreaming of winning all 4? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Kold wrote: »
    Am I the only one dreaming of winning all 4? :D
    No we're all dreaming of that :D
    but for some it's a nightmare:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Villa
    A good night for Liverpool.....Villa and City having their expected wobble, Spurs having to play the top 3, bound to drop points there....I tipped Spurs to do it but now I ain't so sure. Think Pool have a great chance now but they can't really afford to lose any more games now.....or can they???!!!

They may need to beat Chelsea at home (which would be a great result for United of course) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Manchester City
    I honestly think that Villa and City don't actually want 4th. It's unreal the easy points they are dropping.

I'm happy that Liverpool will really need to beat Chelsea.

I think Spurs are going to get points off one of the top 3. If they can get one win, they can beat Liverpool even if Liverpool put together a huge run. City though have a nice shot at it, if they could just stop drawing.

Manchester City
    Also, I think that Everton are going to finish higher than at least one of these teams, they are on a great run of form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Spurs
    I think it'll be Spurs, City, Liverpool, Everton, Villa.

Villa always go downhill towards the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I did the predictor thing, and it basically came down to the City-Spurs game, whichever side won would come fourth, while a draw would give it to Liverpool.

Would be exciting if that was the case.

Manchester City
    I did the predictor thing, and it basically came down to the City-Spurs game, whichever side won would come fourth, while a draw would give it to Liverpool.

Would be exciting if that was the case.

To be honest, I could see this being accurate.

• Advertisement

Bukman13 wrote: »

Target is still 69pts.

So far:
      Spurs 55pts from 30 games =
    1.83 Pts per game.
      Man City 53pts from 29 games =
    1.83 Pts per game.
      Villa 50pts from 29 games =
    1.72 Pts per game.
      Liverpool 48pts from 29 games =
    1.65 Pts per game

City, Spurs and Villa all slightly increased their PPG ratio, while Liverpool's decreased marginally.

Points per game required for a team to reach 69pts.
      Spurs 14pts from 8 games =
    1.75 Pts a game.
      Man City 16pts from 9 games =
    1.78 Pts Per game.
      Villa 19pts from 9 games =
    2.11 Pts per game.
      Liverpool 18pts from 7 games =
    2.57 Pts per game.

Update-

Target is still 69pts.

So far:
      Spurs 58pts from 31 games =
    1.87 Pts per game.
      Man City 53pts from 30 games =
    1.77 Pts per game.
      Villa 51pts from 31 games =
    1.65 Pts per game.
      Liverpool 51pts from 31 games =
    1.65 Pts per game

Liverpool have yet to play, so remain the same. City and Villa decrease while Spurs Increase.

Spurs 11pts from 7 games =
    1.75 Pts a game.
      Man City 16pts from 8 games =
    2.00 Pts Per game.
      Villa 18pts from 7 games =
    2.57 Pts per game.
      Liverpool 18pts from 7 games =
    2.57 Pts per game.

Spurs need just 4 wins to claim 4th, both Liverpool and Villa are facing Match point in every game from now on in. It's looking more and more like City will need to beat Spurs to get ahead of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Manchester City
    Villa are done, the goal difference has been decemated now and the team looked out on their feet tonight, same as last season

City are a joke, they will probably pull off one hell of a performance against us i have no doubt, but other then that they are just a joke, its looking like its between spurs and pool amazingly, spurs tricky games against the big 3 might hurt them, and pool have a on paper easiesh run in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It really is going to go all the way as the race continues, so close that goal difference might well be the 'extra' point that decides it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Tottenham favourites for 4th now IMO. points in the bag and a superior goal different to the other candidates. Three tough games in United Chelsea and Arsenal but there are no easy ones in the run in and I suspect they will all drop points. Liverpool my current second choice to secure 4th have a tough one V Chelsea as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Spurs
    Has the Arsenal v Spurs game been moved

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Has the Arsenal v Spurs game been moved

Yes now April 14th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Manchester City
    As long as Liverpool are still in the running when they are playing Chelsea i will be satisfied

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Manchester City
    I think if Spurs can get 2 points out of Arsenal, United and Chelsea they'll get forth.

Would be a horrible anti climax if someone was to beat Liverpool to forth, only to go out in the qualifier like Everton

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Update-

Target is still 69pts.

So far:
    • Spurs 58pts from 31 games = 1.87 Pts per game.
    • Man City 53pts from 30 games = 1.77 Pts per game.
    • Villa 51pts from 31 games = 1.65 Pts per game.
    • Liverpool 51pts from 31 games = 1.65 Pts per game

Liverpool have yet to play, so remain the same. City and Villa decrease while Spurs Increase.

• Spurs 11pts from 7 games = 1.75 Pts a game.
    • Man City 16pts from 8 games = 2.00 Pts Per game.
    • Villa 18pts from 7 games = 2.57 Pts per game.
    • Liverpool 18pts from 7 games = 2.57 Pts per game.

Spurs need just 4 wins to claim 4th, both Liverpool and Villa are facing Match point in every game from now on in. It's looking more and more like City will need to beat Spurs to get ahead of them.
    Also if they continue on current ppg average
    • Spurs would have 71 points
    • Man City would have 67 points
    • Villa would have 63 points
    • Liverpool would have 63 points
    Of course there are lots of other factors that have to be accounted for.

kryogen wrote: »
    Villa are done, the goal difference has been decemated now and the team looked out on their feet tonight, same as last season

Yea, Villa's goal difference puts them out of contention at this stage. They are effectively 8pts behind Spurs now. With 7 games left plus the F.A.cup to focus on, I think a squad of that size has no chance of catching up.
    I think if Spurs can get 2 points out of Arsenal, United and Chelsea they'll get forth.

The key for Spurs is these 3 games:

Sunderland (A)
    Bolton (h)
    Burnley (a)

9pts here would set them up for 4th place. It would give them 4 games against City, Arsenal, Chelsea and United with one win enough to claim 4th imo.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    if we get it we deserve it. the games spurs have coming up are tough as ****, its not foolish to think they can drop a lot of points in those games witout actually 'slipping up'. City are a tougher one to call. And villa seen to have run out of steam at the wrong time

Ye are gonna get 4th spot coz rafa has guaranteed this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yep, have to echo what the two lads said. The team that ends up in fourth is the team that deserved it.

If that happens to be Liverpool then even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Why do Sky and other media outlets always focus on the 'guarantee' that Rafa gave. It's so ridiculous.

It's not like Liverpool fans sat back in October after that press conference and thought 'ah that's grand. I was a bit worried there for a while, but now that i know we'll finish fourth i won't actually watch the season unfold.'

So Rafa was confident, big deal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Manchester City
    Fair play to Liverpool if they can pull this one out of the bag. They're hitting form at just the right time. For me, it's between them and Spurs but, with the fixtures Spurs have coming up, I'd have to say Liverpool. I'm not completely discounting City as they still have a chance but, they're very hit and miss and don't have an easy run in either!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Fair play to Liverpool if they can pull this one out of the bag. They're hitting form at just the right time. For me, it's between them and Spurs but, with the fixtures Spurs have coming up, I'd have to say Liverpool. I'm not completely discounting City as they still have a chance but, they're very hit and miss and don't have an easy run in either!

to be fair your decision above doesnt surprise me with you being an arsenal fan

The way i see it spurs have sunderland (a) bolton(h) and burnley (a) , these games are massive, if they manage to pick up 9 pts in those 3 games, i think all we need from arsenal city chelski and utd is another 3 points bearing in mind the cushion we already have and im basing this on the pool picking up 5 wins and a draw in their last 6 ( draw potentially against either chelski or brum).

Manchester City

The way i see it spurs have sunderland (a) bolton(h) and burnley (a) , these games are massive, if they manage to pick up 9 pts in those 3 games, i think all we need from arsenal city chelski and utd is another 3 points bearing in mind the cushion we already have and im basing this on the pool picking up 5 wins and a draw in their last 6 ( draw potentially against either chelski or brum).

Explain this!

Spurs have Arsenal, Chelsea, United & City to play. That's a ridiculously tough run-in. Liverpool just have Chelsea. We'll just say that it's 7 points Liverpool have to make up, that's very doable with the run-ins both teams have, it will be close but, my money's on Liverpool!

Explain this!

Spurs have Arsenal, Chelsea, United & City to play. That's a ridiculously tough run-in. Liverpool just have Chelsea. We'll just say that it's 7 points Liverpool have to make up, that's very doable with the run-ins both teams have, it will be close but, my money's on Liverpool!

that same set of fixtures last season we took 7 points from 12 from , dont see any reason why we couldnt get at least the very minimum of 3 points ,but again its all dependant on us beating the so called lessor lights and picking up maximum points in those fixtures. If we collapse and pool get 4th then fair play they'll deserve it but i dont understand how logically being 7 points off the pace this morning with only 7 games left you think their favs for 4th bearing in mind bold print above.

Manchester City
    that same set of fixtures last season we took 7 points from 12 from, dont see any reason why we couldnt get at least the very minimum of 3 points ,but again its all dependant on us beating the so called lessor lights and picking up maximum points in those fixtures. If we collapse and pool get 4th then fair play they'll deserve it but i dont understand how logically being 7 points off the pace this morning with only 7 games left you think their favs for 4th bearing in mind bold print above.

I wouldn't say they're favourites because of the points on the board but, having to play those 4 teams in their last 7 games? I think it might be too much. Who knows, maybe Spurs finally have a squad that can play consistently well over the course of an entire season but, it's still a bigger ask than Liverpool.

What point were you making here, you didn't respond to that bit of my post:

I wouldn't say they're favourites because of the points on the board but, having to play those 4 teams in their last 7 games? I think it might be too much. Who knows, maybe Spurs finally have a squad that can play consistently well over the course of an entire season but, it's still a bigger ask than Liverpool.

What point were you making here, you didn't respond to that bit of my post:

I assumed maybe a biased approach on your part, my mistake so apologies for that. We dont get in to this position too often and i reckon if we dont do it this season , the chance is gone coz liverpool wont have as bad a season again!

• Advertisement

Manchester City
    I assumed maybe a biased approach on your part, my mistake so apologies for that. We dont get in to this position too often and i reckon if we dont do it this season , the chance is gone coz liverpool wont have as bad a season again!

Nah, I actually like Spurs and the football they play (don't tell anyone)! If it happened that we were constantly missing out on champions league football at ye're expense, that could all change very quickly, I'm fickle like that ;) The thing with Spurs is that they always look like they're a few players short of consistently challenging for the champions league spots! Harry is a decent manager but, he has had money to spend. Is the team improving enough under him? I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

Lads is it just me or is anyone else on here supremely confident of Liverpool getting fourth spot .. City and Spurs are going to drop points for sport on this run in..If Liverpool can get 3 points against bermingham sunday , i would put my house n them getting 4th.. I see them struggling at st andrews but winning the remaining 5 and still comfortably get 4th after Spurs and City **** themselves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Manchester City
    unfortunatly i also see Liverpool getting 4th spot. Spurs and City will loose their bootle at the very last few games. Great season by Spurs though

Remaining Fixtures:

Date|Spurs|Liverpool| Man City
    3rd Apr|Sunderland (a)||Burnley (a)|
    4th Apr||Birmingham (a)||
    11th Apr||Fulham (h)|Birmingham (h)|
    14th Apr|Arsenal (h)|||
    17th Apr|Chelsea (h)||Man United (h)|
    19th Apr||West Ham (h)||
    24th Apr| Man United (a)|Burnley (a)| Aresnal (a)|
    1st May| Bolton (h)| Chelsea (h)| Villa (h)|
    5th May| Man City (a)||Spurs (h)|
    9th May|Burnley (a)| Hull (a)|West Ham (a)|

If Spurs win next week against Sunderland I would have them as big favourites.

Liverpool still have Birmingham (a) and Chelsea (h), they can only afford to drop 2/3 more pts imo any more than that and they won't get 4th.

The Spurs V City game could also be huge if all three teams still have a chance when it's played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Manchester City

I'd go along with this. That would be a big 3 points, and would put us on 61. If we win at home to Bolton, and win away at Burnley (last game) that would be 67 points, meaning a couple of points from the Arsenal/Chelsea/Utd/City games would most likely be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Spurs
    6 points from Burnley/Birmingham is a must if we're to have any chance.

• Advertisement

Manchester City
    A lot will be known by the time Spurs play Arsenal. If Liverpool or Man City don't get 6 points in those two games, or if Spurs don't beat Sunderland, the situation will have changed a lot. If Spurs beat Sunderland and then by the time they've to play the big 3 in succession have even more breathing room, they'll be able to relax and will probably get more points from the top 4 than otherwise.

If they play the top 4 trying to play a tight game hoping to nick a draw because they need it, I've no doubt they'll lose. But if they go gung-ho, the Spurs way, against all three of them, I'd expect them to catch one of them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Manchester City
    The plot thickens AGAIN.

Villa back in with a shout too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Alan Hansen said Spurs would bottle it and it seems so today against Sunderland. Villa win puts them back in it but still alot to do.

Man City will be favourites if they win this evening against Burnley and I can see them winning 3-0 at least. L'pool will be under a bit of pressure against the Brums tomorrow which will be tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Remaining Fixtures:

Date|Spurs|Liverpool| Man City
    3rd Apr|Sunderland (a)||Burnley (a)|
    4th Apr||Birmingham (a)||
    11th Apr||Fulham (h)|Birmingham (h)|
    14th Apr|Arsenal (h)|||
    17th Apr|Chelsea (h)||Man United (h)|
    19th Apr||West Ham (h)||
    24th Apr| Man United (a)|Burnley (a)| Aresnal (a)|
    1st May| Bolton (h)| Chelsea (h)| Villa (h)|
    5th May| Man City (a)||Spurs (h)|
    9th May|Burnley (a)| Hull (a)|West Ham (a)|

Liverpool still have Birmingham (a) and Chelsea (h), they can only afford to drop 2/3 more pts imo any more than that and they won't get 4th.

The Spurs V City game could also be huge if all three teams still have a chance when it's played.

why have you left villa out of that, out of curiousity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Manchester City
    ha ha City 3 up after 6 mins, fans leaving already ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's City's 4th place to throw away.

it has been for a number of weeks now.

Manchester City
    i'd agree wit that Ric, however, they do have a tough few games left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Manchester City
    Helix wrote: »
    why have you left villa out of that, out of curiousity?

Realism.

Come on now.

Jeez not a word out of BERBA, he only seems to come in here to mouth off on that rare occasion that Spurs are actually doing well.:pac:

Liverpool still favourites IMO, City have United, Villa, Arse and Spurs all to play in a row.

Never doubted Pool all season tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Manchester City
    Jesus we have to win tomorrow.

Manchester City
    yea, it'd be a massive win for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Manchester City
    I know its Captain obvious stuff but for City to be 5 points ahead (as they are not pretty much) with a game in hand would be hugely damaging.

Got to hit Brum early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jeez not a word out of BERBA, he only seems to come in here to mouth off on that rare occasion that Spurs are actually doing well.:pac:

I suggest you PM him if you're that concerned about his absence.

Manchester City
    hugely damaging alright but i won't be commiting suicide just yet if we draw or even lose, they've a real tough run of fixtures coming up and this is just a crazy crazy season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Manchester City
    I suggest you PM him if you're that concerned about his absence.

^^^^^^^^^^

LOL, misses being a mod.:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement