Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Room Construction Details

• 10-02-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know a site where I might get details (i.e. drawing details) of the above. Thinking of adding on a sun room to the back of the gaff with a 600mm or so dwarf wall, then glass all around with a tiled roof and maybe a couple of velux type windows, particularly interested in the detail at window to underside of wall plate/soffit level and also the best way to connect the dwarf wall into the existing wall of house. Dwarf wall will be cavity type construction.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

homebond home construction manual will pretty much have most details you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Martron wrote: »
    homebond home construction manual will pretty much have most details you are looking for.

Thanks for the reply but I have a copy of the above but it doesn't have what I am after, any other suggestions?

typical window cill detail is 100% in that book.

and are you installing windows in a wall with a lintel? if so the connection of the wall plate/ soffit detail is also in that book. it may not be identical to what you have in mind but the basic information is there.

the connection of existing wall to new wall i have seen this being used
    http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/tiebrickwork.htm you may also want to use dowel bars into the existing house foundation to joint your new sunroom foundation to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

typical window cill detail is 100% in that book.

and are you installing windows in a wall with a lintel? if so the connection of the wall plate/ soffit detail is also in that book. it may not be identical to what you have in mind but the basic information is there.

the connection of existing wall to new wall i have seen this being used
    http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/tiebrickwork.htm you may also want to use dowel bars into the existing house foundation to joint your new sunroom foundation to the house.

not going to have lintels, windows around the whole perimeter which will be approximatly 4m x 4m.

well the windows are hardly going to suppport the roof. and if thats the case i would imagine the supplier of your windows will have a detail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

What you need to do is make a frame out of 80mm by 80mm box section, this is secured to the existing house, legs to the foundations at the corners,the wall plate for the roof is secured to the box section.
    the window fitters will have trim to cover the box at the corners.
    (use galvanized box section)

also you will need a column at the corner.

would 80 mm be enough.......... also thinking of it. you dont know the overall span so you cant actually give a section without knowing the span.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

also you will need a column at the corner.

would 80 mm be enough.......... also thinking of it. you dont know the overall span so you cant actually give a section without knowing the span.
    You usually put in legs every 2 meters or so,depending on the size of window you want,also legs either side of any doorways,80mm box is used down here because it marries nicely to the 4 by 4 wall plate and makes finishing the soffit and facia that bit easier.

Advertisement