Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Diploma in Education

Options
  • 10-02-2010 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I am interested in doing the h dip in secondary school education in Maynoth if possible. I have a list of questions and I would be grateful if any of them could be answered:

1) I completed my certificate and diploma in an engineering course. This was a three-year course. By reaching a certain grade I qualified to do the last two years of the degree course that is recognised on the teaching council website. I achieved a 2.1 honours degree. The degree I received is the exact same as someone that would have done the 4 year course for the recognised degree on the teaching council website. Would the route I went to get the degree matter ?
    2) I am not sure what way the points work to get into the hdip course. I received a 2.1-degree, which is between 60-70%. Does it look at the average of all the subjects or does it only look at the subjects that you would be teaching.? I got 64% average approx and got 67% in maths which is a subject I would be looking to teach ? How are the points looked at ?
    3) I have been working for the last 5 years in engineering. Do I need teaching experience before I apply for the hdip ?
    4) What types of questions are asked in the hdip interview (if there is one)? What would I need to do to give myself a better chance of getting into the hdip?
    5) I have not looked at some of my subjects for 5 years so do I need to do a refresher course in these subjects ? Are you tested on your subjects during the hdip ? or do I just review the notes myself?

Sorry for the questions I am keen on getting into the hdip and would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Hi,
    Firstly unless you have already applied for this year then you have missed the closing date unfortunately.
    To answer you questions
    1. Once you are a holder of a recognised degree then you will be assessed based on that degree. How you achieved it is not relevant.
    2. Your points are calculated based on the exact percentage mark you received in your Primary Degree. Please see http://www.pac.ie/pgdeinfo/PointsCalc.php?inst=pe for further information on points calculation.
    3. You do not need teaching experience
    4. There is no interview in NUI Maynooth in the current year.
    5. You are not tested on your proposed teaching subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

redmons2 wrote: »
    Hi,

2) I am not sure what way the points work to get into the hdip course. I received a 2.1-degree, which is between 60-70%. Does it look at the average of all the subjects or does it only look at the subjects that you would be teaching.? I got 64% average approx and got 67% in maths which is a subject I would be looking to teach ? How are the points looked at ?

Just to clarify this point, they will look at your average mark. For example with a two-subject BA degree (UCD) up to about three years ago there was no overall degree mark (this may have changed) but a separate mark in either subject. The PAC which takes the applications for the PGDE averaged the two marks creating an 'artificial' mark if you like, so even if one subject was an irrelevant non-teaching subject it affected you ability to teach the other. So if there is such a thing as an overall mark for your degree they'll take that, if not they'll calculate it.

Incidentally on the reply you received regarding point 1, I am not sure the PAC blocks people with unapproved degrees from doing the PGDE - problems there would emerge later with the Teaching Council - even though its literature provides lists of approved degrees.

It would be useful to verify whether you degree is approved (the PAC website as cited would be a good start) or not before you go any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭paddymick_2000

I have similar question.

Bad degree 40-45 %

10 years working as an engineer.

Have I any chance of getting offered a place - is there any credit given for working outside education.

I have similar question.

Bad degree 40-45 %

Have I any chance of getting offered a place - is there any credit given for working outside education.

No credit is given for working outside education.
    Incidentally on the reply you received regarding point 1, I am not sure the PAC blocks people with unapproved degrees from doing the PGDE - problems there would emerge later with the Teaching Council - even though its literature provides lists of approved degrees.
    It is true that you can make an application with a degree that is not approved, however unless this is approved by the Teaching Council prior to the allocation of places you will not be considered for a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭paddymick_2000

Thank, so would it be fair to say I have no chance of getting a place on the course with my degree

I have similar question.

Bad degree 40-45 %

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

BrokenMan wrote: »

It is true that you can make an application with a degree that is not approved, however unless this is approved by the Teaching Council prior to the allocation of places you will not be considered for a place.

Are you sure about this beacuse I know more than one person with the PGDE completed who was subsequently unable to have their degree recognised.

Thank, so would it be fair to say I have no chance of getting a place on the course with my degree

I have similar question.

Bad degree 40-45 %

It would be highly unlikely. Points do vary from year to year but if you dont have any additional qualifications, masters, other degrees, etc then your degree alone would not have given you sufficient points in any of the last 10 years.

TCD, DCU, and UL also run recognised courses where interviews may sometimes be used. I can't comment directly on these but it may be worth your while checking them out.
    Are you sure about this beacuse I know more than one person with the PGDE completed who was subsequently unable to have their degree recognised.

Ye, the person in question must have claimed their degree was recognised when they made the application, if they actually received an offer. If the TC subsequently does not recognise the degree then the person will not be able to register as a teacher. If this was a few years ago it was easier to do this. there is a serious clamp down on this now.

Advertisement