Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its Junket time of the year again, who's going where and whose taking what?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

If they come back with a few thousand jobs, I'm all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

stepbar wrote: »
    If they come back with a few thousand jobs, I'm all for it.
    They said the same about Lisbon if we voted yes. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Word from above has been sent out that it would be in their best interests to be seen close to home as possible.
    PR spin and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Seriously.....

I don't get what the problem is??? :confused: Okay, some of the ministers in the past have taken the p1ss on expenses. That's fair enough, it's not on. However, if done right and expensed correctly, the trips abroad on Paddy's day are an excellent way of promoting the country. God knows we need as much exposure as possible given the times we are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Choke

Another person in favour of the trips abroad here.

Did you see the Senators blasting the "people in this country who will resent anything"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As long as some fiscal responsibility is shown in relation to the cost of flights (i.e. commercial flights booked well in advance instead of government jets) and reasonable hotels etc. I've no problem with it. Problem is, I can't imagine any of our shower of politicians doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Sleepy wrote: »
    As long as some fiscal responsibility is shown in relation to the cost of flights (i.e. commercial flights booked well in advance instead of government jets) and reasonable hotels etc. I've no problem with it. Problem is, I can't imagine any of our shower of politicians doing this.

most of these trips are on commercial flights, they cant all use the government jet at the same time....and you can bet your bottom dollar that given whats gone on in the last year that there wont be too many penthouse suites or limos!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Would you have bet the same bottom dollar on John O' Donoghue not being considered for the Oireachtas Committee on Economic Regulatory Affairs?

A sane person might have on the assumption we had a rational, decent government. They'd have been wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Could they possibly manage to encourage jobs and investment, though ?

"Come to Ireland, where we bail out corrupt bankers* and the newcomers end up giving up and going home".

*Just for good measure, we do the same for dodgy Taoisigh and TDs, and developers

Surely - if you're inviting someone over to your house - you clean it up first ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

They said the same about Lisbon if we voted yes. :rolleyes:

who did? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    who did? :rolleyes:

All those that pumped millions of tax payers money into the second YES campaign. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

The Lisbon Yes campaign was fought on (amongst other things) the promise of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

stepbar wrote: »
    Seriously.....

I don't get what the problem is??? :confused: Okay, some of the ministers in the past have taken the p1ss on expenses. That's fair enough, it's not on. However, if done right and expensed correctly, the trips abroad on Paddy's day are an excellent way of promoting the country. God knows we need as much exposure as possible given the times we are in.

The problem is that, to date, there have been no serious repercussions for these ministers and the expenses system is still lacking in the transparancy stakes.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0210/politics.html they can still claim up to €15000 unvouched.

they can still claim up to €15000 unvouched.
    They wouldn't get away with that amount in the UK.

Advertisement