Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

X360 and Vodafone Huawei Router: please help!

• 10-02-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

I need your help all technically minded people:

Trying to connect the xbox 360 to xbox live, via the Vodafone at Home Huawei router (model 556a), and I'm failing miserably.

It detects the network, says conected, but when I goto connect it fails at the first step. Can anyone help?

The xbox has the wireless networking adapter plugged in. Security is at WPA level. Password is definitely correct. But I'm lost.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Do you have the recent ( before xmas) update on your xbox?

Connect it to the router with the cable and see if it wants to update as there was an update for WPA in that update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

calex71 wrote: »
    Do you have the recent ( before xmas) update on your xbox?

No just got internet into the house so it hasn't been updated in quite a while, over a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

No just got internet into the house so it hasn't been updated in quite a while, over a year

Thats the problem then , bit of manual labour so and lug it down to the router and connect with cable.

Less work more lazy way
    Set router security to WEP and then connect the xbox, run updates and change back to WPA

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

I need your help all technically minded people:

Trying to connect the xbox 360 to xbox live, via the Vodafone at Home Huawei router (model 556a), and I'm failing miserably.

It detects the network, says conected, but when I goto connect it fails at the first step. Can anyone help?

The xbox has the wireless networking adapter plugged in. Security is at WPA level. Password is definitely correct. But I'm lost.

I'm having the exact same problem as you. Switched over from Eircom to Vodafone at the start of January and haven't been able to connect to Live. I have tried absolutely everything to get it working, lowering firewall security, connecting with an ethernet cable, changing adapter settings, authorising live on the router (you name it), but it still won't work.

I've been on the phone to every department in Vodafone but they haven't been able to help me, as they quote "only provide support for PC-related problems". Internet works fine wirelessly on my laptop and other PCs which makes no sense as why Live won't connect.

My 360 detects the network fine and it accepts the WEP key too, but once i try and run a test on live it brings up the 'can't connect to live' error message. In the three years i have used Xbox live with Eircom, i never had any problems such as. Needless to say, i'm switching back to Eircom next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Did you try WPA istead? Does it work cabled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Did you try WPA istead? Does it work cabled?

Doesn't work on WPA and I can't move the xbox to the router, it's just impossible to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

I'm having the exact same problem as you. Switched over from Eircom to Vodafone at the start of January and haven't been able to connect to Live. I have tried absolutely everything to get it working, lowering firewall security, connecting with an ethernet cable, changing adapter settings, authorising live on the router (you name it), but it still won't work.

I've been on the phone to every department in Vodafone but they haven't been able to help me, as they quote "only provide support for PC-related problems". Internet works fine wirelessly on my laptop and other PCs which makes no sense as why Live won't connect.

My 360 detects the network fine and it accepts the WEP key too, but once i try and run a test on live it brings up the 'can't connect to live' error message. In the three years i have used Xbox live with Eircom, i never had any problems such as. Needless to say, i'm switching back to Eircom next week!

do u still have the eircom router by any chance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Not sure if you need if when connecting wirelessly but would assume you do, did you put in the PPPOE settings for vodafone since you swapped to them from Eircom. Its in the network settings and you have to put in your broadband username and password. Not sure if its part of the problem but worth a look as you might have the old Eircom ones in there.

The settings are:

Username: vodafone@vodafone.ie
    Password: broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

naughto wrote: »
    do u still have the eircom router by any chance

Thanks for this suggestion; got it working with the old Netopia Eircom router last night! :D

It must be a problem with the Huawei router, as i tried everything to get Live working through it, yet when i swapped it with the Netopia router, Live connected straight away. Very odd...

Once again, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

I switched from Eircom to Vodafone as well, no problems with the new Vodafone modem - I opened all the ports and it works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 chuck_g

Hey all

My lanlord recently switched to Vodafone home Broadband from Eircom. Ive had xbox live since xmas and now it wont work. We are on vodafone now but still have the same router as Eircom provided.

When i try to connect it says, your console has is connected to the internet but cant contact xbox live!

Im not too bad with technology n all that but im stumped on this. Please help as sundays are not the same without live gaming.

Thanks
    Charlie

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chuck_g

Its okay, used the settings axwell posted, all good now.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I wound up going back to the Eircom router, Huawei doesn't seem to like third party products. Ringing Vodafone they told me to allow for XBox Live and open ports blah blah blah. Bull. The modem doesn't like Xbox, simple as! There's a few people online have found some fixes but I thinkt it's hit and miss and pot luck. Fair play to anyone who got it working though.

Advertisement