Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to get new dog? opinions appreciated!

Options
  • 11-02-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Can't make a decision on this one and would appreciate some advice from you guys...
    Myself and my Fiance really want to get a dog, it's not a spur of the moment decision, it's come up plenty of times over the past few years and we've always said that 'when the time is right' we'll get one.
    I'm out of the house from 9am until approx 6pm Mon-Fri, but OH is currently out of work so at the moment he'd be home for at least some of the day. Ideal situation.
    But what happens when he finds another job? Would it be too unfair to the dog to leave him alone?
    Neither of us would have a problem walking him in the mornings before work and I could pop home the odd lunchtime too if needs be.
    We would like to get a rescue adult/old dog that has already been trained as neither of us has any experience in raising a pup so we reckon this would be a good place to start.
    At the moment Im thinking that any life we'd give him would be better than being stuck in a kennel at the pound.
    Would love to hear what you'd think, thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The dog won't enjoy being at home alone all day, and shouldn't be left at home alone all day. Many rescues won't give you a dog if this is the case.

You need to a certain extent to treat the dog as a juvenile family member when it comes to company - it's OK for them to be alone for a few (3-4 at most) hours, but you shouldn't leave them at home all day on their own.
    Dogs are highly social animals who require interaction, and a dog left alone is likely to develop emotional and attachment problems. They don't work well when left to their own devices.

Having two dogs can mitigate this to a certain extent, but you can end up with two worried dogs instead of just one!

Would it be possible to leave the dog with someone else during the day - a retired friend or family member for example?

Remember that although the dogs spend much of their time in cages in shelters and rescues, they rarely go more than a couple of hours without getting attention from somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I do understand peoply saying that the dog shouldn't be home alone all day but in fairness that would rule out the majority of households if that were the case and there would be very few dogs rehomed.

I work all day and my dog is at home alone, I got her from a rescue centre and they didn't have a problem or in fact I don't think they even asked me.

My little girl was about 6 or 7 when I rescued her and they only criteria the rescue centre had was that she had a safe enclosure and once they did the house inspection they were fine.

I do agree with you that despite me not being home with her everyday my dog has a very, very happy life and I don't imagine she could be any happier living the remainder of her life in care.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

Hi Sue,

I agree with Millie there and can only go on my own past experiences. Had dogs growing up as a child and both my parents worked full time. Each of the dogs were happy (well they never told us otherwise ;)) and lived long lives. The current family doggie is a golden retriever pushing on twelve :D

I myself now have two dogs, one was a year before we got the second one and both myself and my boyfriend work fulltime. Rather then see the time not spent with them as an issue we try make the best of the time we do have with them....walks, lots of hugs and time spent playing and "chatting" to them. They seem to me like perfectly happy and cheerful dogs to us....

My opinion is to go for it....as the previous poster said there would be an awful lot more dogs in need of home if only unemployed/people working from home could take them on, I dont see this as a realistic requirment for getting a pooch but as I said thats my opinion. You're thinking of doing a great thing and you're dead right in saying the life you could give them beats a life in a rescue centre :) Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

You could always get a dog walker to take the dog for a long hour walk in the middle of the day on the days that noone can make it home. The dog would be exhausted after the walk and would chill out until you get home!

Def go for an older dog though, if you get a pup and its used to lots of company it wont be happy when your OH gets a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Would getting two rescue dogs mean that they had company all day long. Two dogs can raise its own probs though especially if the two are pups or unfamilar with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I work full time, and about 2 years ago I rehomed a pair from Cairn Rescue. They'd met in rescue and bonded very quickly.

They're out in the garden when I'm at work and the neighbours have never complained about barking.

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to home any because so many of the sites stipulate that there must be someone at home during the day. As someone said up thread; there simply aren't enough homes like that to accomodate all dogs in rescue centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I think it depends on the dog as well,on their personality. My family have had several dogs and one in particular is extremely independent. He has full run of the house and even though we are there all day he prefers to be alone,not unhappy, just left to his own little devices. keeps himself entertained. We see him maybe twice during the day!!! Hes a very lovable dog and when he wants to spend time with you he's great fun but most of the time he's content alone outside!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Thanks all, plenty of food for thought there :)

Advertisement