Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need New PSU

Options
  • 11-02-2010 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi All,

I built my first PC over xmas and in the main it went well. The only problme is that I get a BSOD at startup each day. I have posted this issue on a number of threads and forums and have been recommened that a higher spec PSU is needed.

Can I get any recommendations on which PSU to get?

Current set up is

4GB-Kit G-Skill PC3-10667U CL9

Antec Three Hundred, ATX, ohne Netzteil

Corsair VX450W 450 Watt

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, Intel P55, ATX, DDR3, PCI-Express

Intel Core i5-750 Box 8192Kb, LGA1156

MSI R5750-PM2D1G, 1024MB, PCI-Express

Samsung HD103SI 1TB SATA II EcoGreen, 32MB

Samsung SH-223L Lightscribe Retail

Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz

Cheers,
    Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i would,nt of thought so are you overclocking the cpu or the gpu

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

No, no overclocking happening. Just get a blue screen every day at startup. Then it starts fine.

The one today was
    Driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

hmm have u try to st default settings in the bios

Not sure how this is done.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

first thing before you touch the hardware. go to the gigabyte website and check the motherboards ram compatibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

That PSU should be fine for those components.

Go to your device manager and check if any of the components on your system have a little yellow exclamation mark beside them indicating that they have not been installed properly.

Honestly, be careful when going to other sites, I avoid them if possible, even the main AMD site.. they are full of overclockers who suggest that anyone with the tiniest software problem should buy new tech and overclock it, I'm not joking.. one guy changed from win xp to win 7 and was having problems and they suggested his quadcore 6600 with 4870 graphics wasn't up to it and needed to purchase new tech and overclock it.. jesus christ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Enable your minidumps on the system and attach them to this thread, or else PM me the dump files I will have a look at them tomorrow for you.

Minidump files

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

From your post I cant tell if you have been getting the BSOD from day one or they only started recently to happen.

I would make sure that the cards etc are sitting properly....and that the CPU is correctly installed....It can happen.

Really need to know if the problem has been from day one.

Minidump files

Nice one, i'm looking at them now

• Advertisement

Cheers,

Prob is there from day one

I have looked at your dumps and spotted one or two issues
    First one is pciidex.sys, second one is rdyboost.sys, and the third one is fileinfo.sys

Start off by upgrading your systems bios to the latest version F5 for higher in your case!

Disconnect that card reader from the system they are notorious for causing pciidex.sys issues.

Any additional usb devices attached to your system disconnect them bar your keyboard and mouse everything to be removed.

Are you using readyboost at all?
    If yes again you have a USB device attached to the controller remove it for a day or two, the system is rebooting every single day so removing these parts for two days shouldn't really matter.

What two have in common is activity on external devices that are attached, ie your USB pen for readyboost and a card reader.
    The first one is related the chipset drivers and bios version hence both need to be upgraded.

if its stable for the two days attach one of the devices back to the system and leave it again.
    same story again leave it for two days attach another device just to see if it repeats itself again.

My money would have been on a dodgy usb device or that card reader.

Thanks a lot for the for the reply. I have a card reader but have not installed it. The only usb conections apart from mobo connections are two on the front panel. I can disconnect this cable for a while. No readyboot in use.

I will check which usb connections are attached. I think a printer may be the only one.

I think the bios is the latest from Gigabyte but will check again.

Lastbuilders

Disconnected usb printer and got the same BSOD. BIOS is version 6.

Attached minidumps for last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Go to g skill fourm website and check for the best bios settings for your memory and motherboard good information there also make sure the slots for memory is slot 1 and 3 or try testing in 2 and 4 as this is problem with some.
    Also do a memory test overnight to see if you have any errors.

Cheers,

Memory is in slot 1 and 2 at the moment. I will change to 1 and 3 and see what happens.

Lastbuilders

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the UD3 uses dual channel in slot 1 and 2, not like 1 and 3, which is usually the norm

I have a ud3 board and memory is in slot 1 and 3 but it can also be in slot 2 and 4

jhud wrote: »
    I have a ud3 board and memory is in slot 1 and 3 but it can also be in slot 2 and 4

http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-p55-ud3_e.pdf

States slot 1 and 2 is used for dual channel.

Go to page 16 and option 2 will explain what i mean

• Advertisement

jhud wrote: »
    Go to page 16 and option 2 will explain what i mean

I installed DDR3 on a mates UD3 board, and the motherboard wouldnt post with the configuration you're saying though. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

I installed DDR3 on a mates UD3 board, and the motherboard wouldnt post with the configuration you're saying though. :confused:
    100% it should be in slot 1 and 3, not 1 and 2. OP I have very similar specs as yourself and it's definitely not the psu, as another poster said check on g skill or try loading optimized settings when you boot to bios, should be an option on the right side of the bios screen

This seems to have done the trick. Changed to slots 1 and 3 and used optimizedd settings and started ok this morning. Will check for few more days to confirm.

Thanks,
    Lastbuilders

No problem enjoy hope you have no more problems.

Spoke too soon. BSOD back again today. Will try just leaving it in sleep mode as this did also cause the BSOD but this at least seems to be resolved.

Lastbuilders

Advertisement