Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be a "Quiet Carriage" on the DART/LUAS?

Options
  • 11-02-2010 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

I always sit at the back of the DART. I've discovered that skobies are less likely to wander that far down the platform. I value my personal space and like the peace and tranquility of a good DART journey. I always have good reading material close at hand and this 20 minutes of my day is (nearly) always a pleasure.

mp3 players users, McDonald's/Spar roll/crisps eaters, smelly people, X-Factor fans who converse at a higher volume to everyone else, people who sneeze/cough without covering your mouth and knackers who drink Dutch Gold, please occupy the front carriages.

In Japan, all trains have a quiet carriage. Some routes have "ladies only" carriages. Very civilised if you ask me. In fact, it's really bad manners to speak on your mobile phone at all when on public transport there. The japs will tap you on the shoulder if you're behaving like an ignoramus. A lot of routes in England have quiet carriages too. I think Iarnrod Eireann should do the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Quiet carriages? I doubt it would work in this country. Nice thought though.
    People who play their music through speakers should be put down.

A ladies only carriage? Sounds like a good place to meet uptight chicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You mean like a scared of teenagers carriage?

With pastel rabbit scenes, piped dolphin-birth music and rubber floors for wet pants?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Get better Headphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

The-Rigger wrote: »
    A ladies only carriage? Sounds like a good place to meet uptight chicks.

They have a large groping problem on the trains over there apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A Quiet Cart would be dependent on the Honor System.

Good luck with that. I don't care what city or country you tried to set that up in.

• Advertisement

They have one on the Dublin to Cork services which are Mk4 operated (all except the 0900 and 1000 ex Dublin, not sure about the return times from Cork). It's coach G, the one nearest the locomotive. I would like to see something similar on the DART but it might be hard to enforce, especially during rush hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I imagine this might be of interest on the Dublin forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

Overheal wrote: »

Good luck with that. I don't care what city or country you tried to set that up in.

Do you think a facebook campaign would gain traction?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,961 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Overheal wrote: »

Just have one of those Dart security guards standing at either end. Anyone who talks gets thrown off.

And anyone who plays a song through their mobile phone speaker gets thrown off while the train is moving.

They have a large groping problem on the trains over there apparently.

Yes I rememeber seeing something about that recently.
    Their trains are so packed. Weird sh1t. Maybe they should have a special groping friendly carriage. It would probably turn into a cockfest though.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just have one of those Dart security guards standing at either end. Anyone who talks gets thrown off.

And anyone who plays a song through their mobile phone speaker gets thrown off while the train is moving.

And it it's "Beyonce" they get electrocuted.

mike65 wrote: »

What about that Luas in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,961 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Bray and Greystones aren't in Dublin... :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »

Speaking of DART security - they're mean looking jack-boots!

Also, they sport an all-seeing-eye on the back of their stab vests. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What about that Luas in Galway?
    It's still in the ROFL stages of planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

been a few years since i regularly took the dart, do those random gypsies still get on and sing or play guitar then look for money off everyone by tapping them on the shoulder and saying "YOU PAY YOU PAY!"
    usually happened during the summer at peaktimes when the dart was packed

the x-factor gobsh1tes were always a common thing, they were just called something else

I'm thinking of getting a car again. That Margaret Thatcher quote haunts me more and more the older I get...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Pulls into the Dublin Forum.

Pulls into the Dublin Forum.

Mind the gap. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Wh not just introduce a 1st class carriage. It works in France and the UK, recover the seats, add a headrest and double the price. Now you have your quiet carriage. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Definitely. They have these in the Netherlands and it's a dream to not have to listen to people on their mobiles. be it talking or playing music through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Or you could get a car. Where your 20 minute cramfest becomes a 40 minute sit in traffic with the heater on, a smoking hot tea and the nice low volume of Ivan to ease you to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

+1 for the pay more for your sanity carriage.

It's €2.30 from Howth to CC. Maybe make it €2.70-€3 for a less piss smelling one? I probably wouldn't bother half the time though. However i might if I were getting the Dart a lot and sick of messers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Sounds like you need to get yourself a car OP, its a transport system, not a coffee shop.

I like the metro in Paris where people get on and busk with guitars, accordions etc, it adds character to what would otherwise be a boringly quiet (French people don't talk, apparently) depressive journey.

Advertisement