Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest replacement for glass in a door frame ?

• 11-02-2010 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Ok, so I had in accident in my house (long story so dont ask), please see below

Door.png

Now as much id love to get it replaced, Ive just shelled out €1100 quid to get my place insulated and also have to cough up over €400 for an estimated ESB reading, so I cant afford to replace it properly for the next couple of weeks (maybe even months).

I am paying a mortgage, not renting, so this ones coming out of my pocket and I don't make a lot of money. Does anyone know how much getting it replaced with clear glass/plexi glass or just something that isn't a hazard or look stupid would cost ?(some thin timber varnished to match the rest of the door maybe ?), as I'm on a tight budget so this will need to be done on the cheap for now. The door is inside the house in case your wondering, and yes I do have insurance but I think Ill have to pay for the first €125 myself anyway, so it might not be worth claiming.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

If you're not adverse to doing a little bit of diy it shouldn't be hard to remove the trim holding the glass in and replace with a piece of varnished plywood, alternatively you can get sheets of perspex/plexi glass in b&q that you could cut to size and fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

kdouglas wrote: »
    If you're not adverse to doing a little bit of diy it shouldn't be hard to remove the trim holding the glass in and replace with a piece of varnished plywood, alternatively you can get sheets of perspex/plexi glass in b&q that you could cut to size and fit.

A pane of clear or frosted glass should only cost €20-25 from a glazing supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭volvo 240

I presume you would need safety glass in doors etc to comply with building regs? In the UK that pane of glass would need to be in safety glass. Toughened or laminated or the larger wire version. I would fit a piece of 6mm clear laminated glass in with clear glaziers silicone. Job done and far far safer than what was fitted. I would of thought if you could take the door to a glass cutting place they may fit it for you. It would take me under 1 hour. James:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

God dam Wii remotes!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

hi im a glazier by trade pm with a size and i can give you a good cash price cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Johnick

massy086 wrote: »
    hi im a glazier by trade pm with a size and i can give you a good cash price cheers

Cheers

I went into a glaziers today, told him the story and he said the glass would cost €12 (way cheaper then I expected) but I think he was under the impression I was going to fit it myself. I am, but if it gets over my head, I dont have much choice.

Advertisement