Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Wireless G Laptop receive range benefit from Wireless N Router?

Options
  • 11-02-2010 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭

As above really.

After an extension to the family home there's either no signal to one bar when using a wireless G laptop on their current wireless G router. When we do get one bar the data rate crawls; the boards.ie homepage taking about 20 seconds to load fully.

Although I know a Wireless G card would not receive the benefit of 600mb speeds from a Wireless N router I'm wondering whether the G card would pick up the stronger signal from the router and allow the laptop to pick up a good signal?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As I understand it the presence of the 'g' laptop will drag the 'n' router down to the g standard so there is no benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

No, just get a higher power/gain Access Point.

Advertisement