Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

History was made last night

• 11-02-2010 5:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10022010/58/championship-first-female-referee-takes-charge.html

Amy Fearn has become the first woman to referee a league match by taking charge for the final 20 minutes of Coventry's 1-0 home win over Nottingham Forest in the Championship.

Original referee Tony Bates collapsed with a calf strain in the 71st minute and called assistant Fearn into action after deciding he was unable to continue.

The final 12 minutes of the match passed without incident despite there being six minutes of injury time added on.

What are your views on female officials in the professional game? Personally i think its a change for the good. Players today are far more likely to repsect female refs/assistants than male ones. Lets face it, the standard of referring isn't very good in the game today, perhaps the introduction of ladies can help improve it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

john terry is gonna have to take a different approach and not shout at them and intimidate them....

ooohhh mr lover lover...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Fairly obsessed with Terry aren't ya Jazzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

cant do any worse than some of the blokes in the job tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

[Blatter]Needs shorter shorts tbh[/Blatter]

CHD wrote: »
    Fairly obsessed with Terry aren't ya Jazzy.

4a848.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

can't be any worse than some of the muppetts there already, standard seems to have dropped big time this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

cant be any worse than whats out there, i suppose i might aswell get this part over with while im at it . . . . .who let her escape from the kitchen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Will this be the end of the offside rule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The most important historical event last night was Arsene's 300th win in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The most important historical event last night was Arsene's 300th win in the Premier League.

Honestly, it wasn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They could have a postive effect regarding players boorish behaviour on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Love it! :D Fair play to her!

I always dreamed when I was a kid that I'd be the first girl to play in the PL!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hilda will be gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PDN wrote: »
    Will this be the end of the offside rule?

honestly, who the hell CAN explain it now?

I know the basics, but the active/inactive interpretation is something i still can't get my head round, not 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Need to be hawter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Commandant: Hmm. In our 185 years, we have never had a female cadet.
    But that seems to be the way the wind is blowing these
    days. After all, we have female singers, female motorists
    ... Welcome aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Female refs might be a good thing, maybe players will moderate their behavior towards the officials. I wonder what will happen if players continue with the aggressive, threatening behaviour towards the ref when it's a lady.
    honestly, who the hell CAN explain it now?

I know the basics, but the active/inactive interpretation is something i still can't get my head round, not 100%.

I bet you do actually understand it Mitch, imho it's actually simpler than most people think. The problem is if you assume that it makes sense, it doesn't. It's bollix altogether. Also it isn't enforced consistently, which is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

As long as they understand the rules, why not. Plenty of men officiate womens matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Players as a rule aren't the most considerate, well mannered, polite bunch, so tbh i could see behaviour getting worse if a call is made they disagree with. I could see the fact she's a woman being used in the abuse given to her as well.

The plus side though is that the ref's association would be forced to start clamping down on players disrespecting the ref, regardless whether male or female, if there was a rise in bad behaviour.

As for the female ref thing itself, if they're good enough, they're good enough, I don't particularly care about their anatomical structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

~Rebel~ wrote: »

As for the female ref thing itself, if they're good enough, they're good enough, I don't particularly care about their anatomical structure.

I do. she looks like Ross Noble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

It shouldn't matter what sex a referee is as long as they can do the job properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Hilda will be gutted.

Hilda has retired (thank feck)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

refereesheilabcheatin-d.jpg

I fear my imagination will not reflect reality........*sigh*

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If they can do the job, they can do the job. See women lines..people in LOI from time to time. No particular complaints come to mind

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Pro. F wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen if players continue with the aggressive, threatening behaviour towards the ref when it's a lady.

Sexual harassment suits? I joke now but....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

It shouldn't matter what sex a referee is as long as they can do the job properly.

Yeah it shouldnt matter if they are male or female,black or white or even Swedish as long as they got the job done properly.

Oh wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I don't get why the attitude of some of the players should have to change just because the official is female......
    TBH, it's goddamn insulting for me to realise that in this day and age that some blokes think my ears are extra sensitive or I would be more intimidated than them by some footballer:eek::confused:

Honestly women are a lot tougher than ye give us credit for.....
    Some of us can actually laugh at ourselves but don't want to be treated like fooking delicate things prone to fainting fits at the drop of a bad word!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Some of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

They do this in Germany and it seems to work.
    Needless to say they'll come under huge scrutiny but it's certainly worth a shot.
    Well done gal :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Doocey wrote: »
    They do this in Germany and it seems to work.
    Needless to say they'll come under huge scrutiny but it's certainly worth a shot.
    Well done gal :D

Another thing they do in Germany is,if a player is thought to have dived,if the ref cant make a decisionor was unsure,they ask the player if he dived or not,if he says yes he's booked ar cautioned,if he says no and is found to have been lying he gets a 3 match ban.

Off topic I know but just got reminded there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's a fairly local kind of history,tbh, there have been women referees for many years at the top level in other countries. I note the article fails to mention that, and indeed implies that this is the first instance anywhere of a female ref at a league match. In fact she wasn't even appointed to ref the game.

Headline should read

Championship - Finally England follows the rest of the world by appointing female official..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Reminds of a game where there was a female linesman (lineswoman) and she gave a bad call,my friend shouted at her 'Is it your time of the month or something' he was duly sent off by the ref.
    It was more funny than anything else because of how stupid it was, it was just a face palm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

women refs eh hmmmm would love to hear fergie's rants in the future if it became the norm in the premiership.

There's a lineswoman in the LOI who one time called offside from a throw in:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

It's not like this is the first ever female ref. She's just the first in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

major bill wrote: »

Rhona .......rawr.........hot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

major bill wrote: »
    women refs eh hmmmm would love to hear fergie's rants in the future if it became the norm in the premiership.

I've seen a male linesman in the EPL do the same when the ball was thrown to Robbie Fowler.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Jazzy wrote: »
    4a848.jpg
    Don't! Its funny how much you care about him

CHD wrote: »
    Don't! Its funny how much you care about him

take your owning on the chin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

She better watch out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ff362b54fb90b6a99b29d099cfed551b.jpg

*shudder*

No thanks

She looks like yer one with the ronnie in Intermission

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

to add. Hilda McDermott refereed a league of Ireland match a few seasons ago.

Advertisement