Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dame st Sth Great Georges st Junction

Options
  • 11-02-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

Yesterday heading East I turned off Dame st to Sth Great Georges St, and then I realized there was no right turn, will I get penalty points for this , are there garda cameras on this junction.

The road heading west was empty, I indicated and turned half way across seen the big arrow with the red line , Sh!t too Late too turn back now, Ahh:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Would you not be turing left heading west on dame street and turning on to Georges st? That is a legal turn..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Sorry Nova, I was heading east, above now edited.

AFAIK that is the worst junction in Dublin for cars breaking the red lights. Often the green man and the beeping come on and cars are still crossing the road. I can't honestly answer your question, but I highly doubt anything will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Ah I see, yeah thats an illegal turn. the junction is camera monitored, but provided you did it safely id say they would realise it was a once off.. Then again you would never know... Hope for the best!

You will not get a ticket unless you were stopped by a garda. The only tickets that can be issued using a camera is the Gatso speed vans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

foreign wrote: »
    You will not get a ticket unless you were stopped by a garda. The only tickets that can be issued using a camera is the Gatso speed vans.
    Really? So are these cameras at the lights just mainly in case of accidents?

Wow, maybe you shouldn't have told us that:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

macadam wrote: »
    are there garda cameras on this junction
    They are traffic monitoring cameras - not used to target traffic offences.
    Papa Smut wrote: »
    Often the green man and the beeping come on and cars are still crossing the road
    One of the reasons that there is no right turn is that the pedestrian crossing is showing a green light. Those vehicles which are continuing to enter George's Street have ignored the straight ahead green arrow on Dame Street (i.e. no right turn).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Cars do this everywhere, not realising that taking illegal turns takes them right through a green pedestrian lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I was half way across when I seen the sign and I checked the Pedestrian lights and the were red, its hard to believe that no cars were coming in the opposite direction, I just indicated and crawled across but could not back track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

A friend of mine was caught here before. As far as I remember, the right turning lane is a bus lane, so he was fined and got (one) penalty point for the illegal turn for being in a bus lane, but that was only because there was a Garda car monitoring it on the day. Every time I have been on Georges St I see at least one private car take this turn, so you're not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A friend of mine was caught here before. As far as I remember, the right turning lane is a bus lane, so he was fined and got (one) penalty point for the illegal turn for being in a bus lane, but that was only because there was a Garda car monitoring it on the day. Every time I have been on Georges St I see at least one private car take this turn, so you're not alone.
    Thats a totally different situation - making a right turn from Georges Street onto Dame Street. To do that one must blatantly disregard the rules as one has to enter a dedicated bus lane to make a right turn - totally different from making a right turn from Dame Street eastbound onto Georges Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Thats a totally different situation - making a right turn from Georges Street onto Dame Street. To do that one must blatantly disregard the rules as one has to enter a dedicated bus lane to make a right turn - totally different from making a right turn from Dame Street eastbound onto Georges Street.

Apologies - I misread the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

macadam wrote: »
    I was half way across when I seen the sign and I checked the Pedestrian lights and the were red, its hard to believe that no cars were coming in the opposite direction, I just indicated and crawled across but could not back track.
    If you're not used to the junctions, it happens. That junction in particular is very wide, so some of the signs would be much further away then you're used to (which is why you only spotted it when you were halfway through the turn), and from looking at you would assume that a right turn is allowed at such a massive junction.

In the evenings, you can get breaks in the westbound traffic which is probably why there was nothing coming.

The pedestrian lights there all go green at the same time, so there was no risk of you cutting across a green man.

We all make ridiculous mistakes from time to time. Chalk it down to experience and don't worry about it.

I still remember blasting through a set of pedestrian lights on a motorbike about 6 years ago because my head was somewhere else. Scared the sh*t out of myself, I could have killed someone. I was almost hoping a Garda woudl stop me so I could own up to it. :D

Advertisement