Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deltawing IndyCar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm the batman!

Can't say I'm impressed, would really prefer to see performance pushed rather than fuel economy. Still, I'd've thought Lola and Dallara would've been the likely winners in the end. Also it really, really doesn't look like it would be capable of anywhere near the quoted top speed in the the turns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

They'll be lucky if it turns at all.

My money's on the Swift chassis. Its reminiscent of the mid 90's Indycars before the split, but with a modern twist.

How they may have looked had the split not happened in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Any pics around of the others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

That deltawing car looks ridiculous. Here's another article.

http://jalopnik.com/5466957/is-this-the-2012-indy-car

• Advertisement

f1dan wrote: »
    That deltawing car looks ridiculous. Here's another article.

http://jalopnik.com/5466957/is-this-the-2012-indy-car

Yep

That's the Swift one. They manufactured Indycars (Champcar at the time) up until 99 I think. Newman Haas used them.

This is car that looks like a classic Indycar and if there's any justice, this is the one that'll be chosen.

If it's the deltawing, then its so long Indycar, nice knowing you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The Deltawing car looks nothing like an opem-wheeler at all. The whole concept of an open-wheel racing series are that the wheels are, y'know, open.

It looks like a mix between a Le Mans Series car and a space shuttle :confused:

I like it! And it is open wheel single seater as all the wheels are non enclosed. Plus it looks like the batmobile so thats and added plus

And whoever designed it belongs in Arkham!

A racing car it ain't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Radical and futuristic... way to go.... get away from the ' same old shape', move into the future.

The Americans will love it, new and modern... painted in modern team colours with 'decent' paint jobs.... metal flake and pearlescent
    Think of the choices:

# MetalFlake® Millions of Tiny Flakes Produce A Dazzling Three Dimensional Metallic Finish

# Glowble® More Fiery Brilliance Than Any Other Flake

# Vreeble® Crackle Finish Over A Silver Glowble Base

# Eerie-Dess® Silver Eerie-Dess Over Black Ground Coat Topcoated With 3 Candy Colors

# Spindrift® Over White Acrylic Lacquer And Black Acrylic Lacquer Ground Coats

# StarPearl® A Pearlescent Finish With Rich, Glowing Lustre!

# Flip Flop® Flip Flops From One Color To Another For Unique Visual Effects

# MicroGlow® Brilliant Bases For Candy Colors

# Mirra® The Fantastic Iridescence With A Prismatic Effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The Delta Wing is clearly not an "open wheel" design, but full credit to Indy Cars for allowing this sort of experimental design. F1 is unfortunately going in the opposite direction - creating a "spec" series without actually engaging a single chassis supplier.

• Advertisement

The four contenders have all revealed their entries if anyone is interested:

Lola
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-2012-lola-revealed/

Dallara and Swift
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-2012-stampede-under-way/

Deltawing
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-inside-the-delta-wing-project/

As a longtime, passionate fan of the IndyCar World Series that ran until 1996 and the Champcar series that followed it, IndyCar needs to return to anything that the fans will identify with that period.

Some of the designs may seem conservative but they spark memories of the old cars and that may bring back the fans that were lost to Nascar during the "Open Wheel Civil War"

Radical designs like the Deltawing that look nothing like an open wheel racing car will drive away the few remaining fans and the IRL will just shut up shop. Something they should have done 14 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

smooch71 wrote: »
    The four contenders have all revealed their entries if anyone is interested:

As a longtime, passionate fan of the IndyCar World Series that ran until 1996 and the Champcar series that followed it, IndyCar needs to return to anything that the fans will identify with that period.

Some of the designs may seem conservative but they spark memories of the old cars and that may bring back the fans that were lost to Nascar during the "Open Wheel Civil War"

Radical designs like the Deltawing that look nothing like an open wheel racing car will drive away the few remaining fans and the IRL will just shut up shop. Something they should have done 14 years ago.

To be honest if Indy Cars want to recapture the fans they lost to NASCAR they need to offer what NASCAR doesnt-variation. Have a few different cars, engines and tyres in the field and go back to the series that race fans all over the world loved. I remember when I started watching CART there were Reynard, Lola, Penske and Eagle chassis, Merc, Ford, Honda and Toyota engines and a tyre war. It was this competition that allowed the series to attract Formula 1 drivers and world class drivers to the series. The caliber of driver that it must be said is lacking in Indy Cars now. It is the model of CART that needs to be recreated because the IRL never was able to attract the sponsors needed to be a profitable series.

As you say if they go down the 'shock' road of the Deltawing they will lose the fans they have and not get any back from NASCAR. I honestly think that if Indy Cars are to get back to being a respected series that the worlds top drivers view as viable it is imperative that they open the regs to allow for competition and for teams like Penske to construct their own cars again if they view it as an option.

frostie500 wrote: »
    To be honest if Indy Cars want to recapture the fans they lost to NASCAR they need to offer what NASCAR doesnt-variation. Have a few different cars, engines and tyres in the field and go back to the series that race fans all over the world loved. I remember when I started watching CART there were Reynard, Lola, Penske and Eagle chassis, Merc, Ford, Honda and Toyota engines and a tyre war. It was this competition that allowed the series to attract Formula 1 drivers and world class drivers to the series. The caliber of driver that it must be said is lacking in Indy Cars now. It is the model of CART that needs to be recreated because the IRL never was able to attract the sponsors needed to be a profitable series.

As you say if they go down the 'shock' road of the Deltawing they will lose the fans they have and not get any back from NASCAR. I honestly think that if Indy Cars are to get back to being a respected series that the worlds top drivers view as viable it is imperative that they open the regs to allow for competition and for teams like Penske to construct their own cars again if they view it as an option.

Have to agree with all of that.

Whatever chance there is of multiple engine choices (and they appear to be diminishing now as more manufacturers are dropping out apparently) the IRL are firm on only one chassis supplier and only one tyre supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

smooch71 wrote: »
    Have to agree with all of that.

Whatever chance there is of multiple engine choices (and they appear to be diminishing now as more manufacturers are dropping out apparently) the IRL are firm on only one chassis supplier and only one tyre supplier.

Well they better hope they keep Danica Patrick in the series otherwise there's gonna be no chance of getting sponsors in!

Advertisement