Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC shutting down on startup

• 11-02-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me on this please. I have a Emachine E4252 and when I power it on I get a screen saying windows did not shut down properly and I get the option to try the recovery console or start windows normally and no matter what option I choose it just shuts down the PC.

The PC is running Vista Premium 64bit. I tried to boot off the CD but the only thing its 32bit (so I dont know if it will let me run anything off the cd like recovery console etc) but when I boot from CD it tries to load and shuts down the same as before so i dont even get the option to run the recovery console from the CD or anything. .

Has anyone got any ideas on this please?
    When I boot from a live CD it can runtests and so far hard drive has had no errors and I am running a memory test at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

From memory the Vista CD has an option to repair the boot file so perhaps that might solve your problem. However, since you only have a 32-bit cd perhaps have a look here for a .iso file for a Vista recovery disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

use this if you don't have the correct disk

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

It contains the contents of the Windows Vista DVD's recovery center and there is a x86 and x64bit versions of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I seen a problem like this reciently, turned out to be dodgy hard disc, if you any options to scan hardware from the POST screen or through the BIOS then it might be a good place to start before investing too much time into something that can't be fixed with out a replacement. Outside of this best bet with vista is a system repair using the boot disk the repair console which can be accessed through the vista disc is very comprehensive a chkdsk /r or /p on the system drive may fix any dodgy system files.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 commander cool

I tried to boot off the CD to run the recovery console but when I booted from the disk and it was loading it just shutdown.

I have a Live Boot CD and I can boot off that to run tests.
    • Did a test on the hard drive - It passed
    • Did a test on the memory after reseating - it passed
    • Did a test on the CPU and as soon as I go to run the test the PC just shuts down.
    Would that suggest that the issue is with the cpu?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I had a problem where my pc would work ok and after a while shut itself down and I heard lots of beeping.
    The problem turned out to be the keyboard in my case.
    Maybe try unplugging different peripherals one by one and see if they are the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement