Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DRLs could save 14 people a year

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

phutyle wrote: »
    Where are you getting these statistics from? :confused:

Their TV ad which has been running on RTE.

Next ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I think you would like me as a car driver (:) ), I really like looking at bikes zoom by and always give them loads of room, watch out for them all the time

Fair enough, and drivers like yourself would usually get a wave for making room for me to pass. I can say from commuting every day of the week on the bike that drivers like you are a rarity. Most drivers don't notice bikes even with their dipped lights on and approaching through rows and rows of unlit cars (when filtering for example). What chance do bikes have if all a car driver sees in their rear view mirror is a sea of dipped lights? The bike will be completely in-distuingishable in comparison to the cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Hmmm... whats the deal/legality with fitting blinking lights (in an odd colour) to bikes then? Someone told me they are banning cyclists from having them, I thought it was a good idea from a "Im here watch out" POV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Hmmm... whats the deal/legality with fitting blinking lights (in an odd colour) to bikes then? Someone told me they are banning cyclists from having them, I thought it was a good idea from a "Im here watch out" POV.

Those flashing LED lights used by cyclists are legal since 07/12/2009 as discussed on the cycling forum here. It's illegal to use blinking lights (excluding indicators) on any other road vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Beaten by the last two posts! I can really see the arguement against DRL's for all vehicles in terms of masking motorbikes. How about DRL's for all cars, buses etcs and dipped headlights plus flashing DRL's for motorbikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

concussion wrote: »
    Beaten by the last two posts! I can really see the arguement against DRL's for all vehicles in terms of masking motorbikes. How about DRL's for all cars, buses etcs and dipped headlights plus flashing DRL's for motorbikes?

Like it! I think bikes need to have different lights alright, to reinforce it in the minds of poor drivers that bikes don't always move/behave the same as cars...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

how about a blue flashing light, i could work with that, at least i could then pull over more car drivers for not having their lights on when driving in the dark

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

RSA
    Research shows that DRL reduces the likelihood of multi-party daytime collisions, therefore helping to save lives and prevent serious injuries. Studies commissioned by the EC have concluded that the mandatory use of DRL can achieve a reduction of between 5% and 15% of multi-party daytime collision

Seems that is where they got their figures from. That does suggest however that multi party daytime collisions are bewteen 93 & 280 a year.

DRL makes sense to me especially as they country is usually fairly dark. I switch on my lights before I put on my seat belt. I don't see it making much difference to motorcyclists if they stay on the correct side of the road & wear high visibility clothes.

McSpud wrote: »
    I don't see it making much difference to motorcyclists if they stay on the correct side of the road & wear high visibility clothes.

You've gotta be taking the p1ss...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

But you would encounter 100's of cars on your way to work and maybe not any bikes. For the small number of bikes I see on the roads a high percentage are driven in a way that I would consider at the least risky.

I'm no angel in the car but the margin for error is much bigger for a car. i.e you have some hope if you crash rather than almost none.

I'm not anti-bike by any means I wouldn't even be against owning one but I would kill myself if I had one so I will keep clear of them.

What looks risky from a car usually is usually perfectly safe on a motorbike, it's about perspective. In saying that there are some muppets on bikes but there are also a lot more muppets in cars(cause there are more cars).

People here are using Nordic countries as examples where DRLs work. They have well trained drivers who are used to driving in dangerous conditions. How about Poland and Bulgaria where they've had increases in deaths since they made DRL's compulsory?

http://www.dadrl.org.uk/whatsnew.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

jayok wrote: »
    Isn't there also the problem with DRLs that motorbikes become more invisible?

I remember there was talk about around 2001/2002 about encouraging people to use their headlights. Dublin City Council has signs and a was enough dozy drivers already and the full-beam on the bike was a critical safety factor.

Personally, as both a car and motorbike driver, I put lights on the wholetime. In heavy daytime traffic though, I'll use the full beam on bike. Makes a big difference.

Please don't use full/high beams in traffic. It blinds other road users. :mad:

On topic - I am all for daytime lights on all vehicles, BUT:

please make sure they are the correct lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

P.C. wrote: »
    Please don't use full/high beams in traffic. It blinds other road users. :mad:

On topic - I am all for daytime lights on all vehicles, BUT:

please make sure they are the correct lights.

As a biker, I'm inclined to agree - main beams are past annoying, to the point of dangerous........

Mind you, mine is accompanied by an 'aural' indicator, as well........... ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

The most difficult thing I find with biker visibility is limited depth perception. In the dark, at a glance I find it difficult to determine the distance between me and a single light. Cars are fine - two lights with a fairly consistent distance gives you a good frame of reference.

I'd suggest that safety conscious bikers add their own running lights, to differentiate themselves from a single car headlight, and to make it easier for other motorists to locate them.

The most difficult thing I find with biker visibility is limited depth perception. In the dark, at a glance I find it difficult to determine the distance between me and a single light. Cars are fine - two lights with a fairly consistent distance gives you a good frame of reference.

I'd suggest that safety conscious bikers add their own running lights, to differentiate themselves from a single car headlight, and to make it easier for other motorists to locate them.

Pointless, unless the running lights are a few feet either side of the bike which would defeat the purpose of being on a bike (may be possible on a Goldwing though :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I was on the Halfords site today and it seems that a new raft of DRL's are now in stock.

These are also E marked which is a very important development for aftermarket DRL's.

Here is one such yoke.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_232417_langId_-1_categoryId_212516#dtab

• Advertisement
Advertisement