Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating- what subjects???

Options
  • 11-02-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,

I am hoping to repeat my leaving cert next year as a mature student.

Can anyone advise me what subjects are most managable and also those which I can do myself. I know a few require projects , lab workbooks etc.

What extra work do I need for biology, chemistry, physics, economics, accounting, technology, geography, ag science.

Im just wonderding would I need to do projects or lab work in a school.

I may get grinds in some subjects but I would love some advice from students. I am not in a position to go back full time as I am working also.

Really appreciate any advice.

Reg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

For biology and chemistry you're expected to do a lab copy with all the mandatory experiments written up. It won't get you any marks, and you don't hand it up with the exam paper or anything. But schools can get inspected to make sure they have it done. I'm not sure what the story is with external candidates and lab copies though.

There's a field work project in geography that needs to be signed off by a teacher, I think ag science has some sort of project work as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Lawliet wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the story is with external candidates and lab copies though.

From www.examinations.ie

"Important information for external candidates who wish to apply for the LC 2010. Please read before you commence your on-line application.
    [.
    ]
    (e)Chemistry, Physics, Biology:
    As the syllabus in each of these subjects has been drawn up on the basis that candidates will devote an appropriate amount of time to laboratory work (in Chemistry and in Physics), and to practical/laboratory work and fieldwork (in Biology), a candidate will not be admitted to the Leaving Certificate examination in any of these subjects in any case where the Commission considers that an adequate course of such work has not been followed by the candidate. For this purpose, records of t he work done should be kept and be available for inspection or for submission to the Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

For biology and chemistry you're expected to do a lab copy with all the mandatory experiments written up. It won't get you any marks, and you don't hand it up with the exam paper or anything. But schools can get inspected to make sure they have it done. I'm not sure what the story is with external candidates and lab copies though.

There's a field work project in geography that needs to be signed off by a teacher, I think ag science has some sort of project work as well.
    I highly doubt external candidated HAVE to have it done. They'll have to know it for the exam though...
    Biology is one you could do by yourself with a lot of hard work. It's a long course, but it's not very difficult to understand.
    Chemistry is a bit more complex with more abstract ideas, tbh, I couldn't do it on my own.
    Physics is possible to do on your own, if you're good at maths, and interested. There's fairly good physics textbooks out there (I'm using Real World Physics). I could see someone good at maths doing it by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I hope they don't come mah school. We don't do that at all. Do they even check? I know that my old school doesn't even do the experiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I hope they don't come mah school. We don't do that at all. Do they even check? I know that my old school doesn't even do the experiments.

I've heard they only check 5% of schools and they might give a week (maybe more) notice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

It's a really subjective thing, it completely depends on your interests and aptitudes. I study on my own and find chemistry the easiest to understand but I think it is a general consensus that biology is the easiest science. Though if you're not good at memorizing it probably wouldn't suit you or would be a bit of a time sink. If you can play an instrument (to a standard of five years of class-based learning) music is a really nice course, imo. Subjects with a practical side are definitely easier to manage.

Advertisement