Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recurrent Tonsillitis

Options
  • 11-02-2010 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hey guys, first of all I'm sorry to post here but I couldn't find another forum into which it would fit.
    Secondly I've been to the doctor twice in as many weeks so I'm not looking for a diagnosis.

I had tonsillitis two weeks ago while on annual leave from work. immediately I went to the doc for an antibiotic and it was clearing up. I was prescribed pensillin. Finished the tabs on monday. Tuesday my throat seemed to be getting bad again. Got someone to check and it was still infected so went back to the doc on weds morning. The attitude I was confronted with was awful. He questioned if i'd even taken the antibiotics and commented about how it was most unusual. He also stated he wasn't a fan of giving time off work. He then sounded surprised that I hadn't requested time off work with the previous bout of illness. I felt like a criminal proving my innocence.

Anyway he signed me out yesterday and today and I'm really sick. I met my HR manager as the doc is beside my job and she could tell I wasn't a bit well. She told me to stay out til it cleared up. I had a temperature all day yesterday and spend 15 hours in bed. Feel good bit better today but my throat's exceptionally bad. I can't eat because I can't swallow and not to sound disgusting, but I have to keep spitting because my mouth is filling with saliva and I can't swallow. I've started taking solpadeine in an effort to get fluids into me (Was taking lemsips yesterday)

Has anyone suffered with this before... I had it 3 times last year and i've not been told to get my tonsils out. My mam reckons its my wisdom teeth causing it (They seem to be rotting and I need to get them taken out)

Any tips... I've tried gargling salt water and again it's painful not to mention disgusting but hasn't helped with the pain. I've also gargled solpadeine before swallowing it. Btw i paid the doc 60 euro first consultation, prescription was 12 quid, then paid 40 yesterday and prescription was 40 and i'm actually broke :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Hi,

I was 15 when i had recurrent tonsilitis, my dad had his tonsils out at 25. i always had at least 2 - 3 bouts of tonsilitis a year. when i turned 15 i had 3 bouts of tonsilitis within 6 weeks. When i went to him the third time he refused to treat me, my mother spoke to the nurse (who happened to be the docs wife) and she referred me to an ent to have my tonsils out. i had them removed 7 months later. The doc had no interest in refering me and his wife did it. 15 years later and no problems at all.

As for rotting wisdom teeth my brothers rotted in his gum and he didnt get tonsilitis from it. he went to a dentist and he gum was cut open and his rotted teeth slowly removed (took about an hour and his teeth and root were crumbled)

hope this helps - asked your doc for you to be referred to an ent. if he does not agree go to another doc who will refer you.

p.s not sure but i dont think we are allowed to give medical advice on here so only telling you my experience.... good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

This rings a bell with me. Can I ask how old you are?
    I used to get recurring tonsilitis througout my teens and well into my 20's. I remember this very same thing happened to me, and I got a second bout straight after clearing first bout. Doctor - who was my Dad - also accused me of not taking the first round of antibiots. I was feeling so down because of the illness I got really emotional about the accusation (coming as it did from my own Dad). Eventually he believed me and told me that I would soon "grow out of it". NOT something you want to hear in your Mid 20's - I thought he was being patronising. He said he didn't expect that this would continue to recur much after my I turned 25, and it turns out he was right! I have had very, very few incidences of this since. I had never heard of this before, but I guess he knew what he was talking about. Most of my family went through similar recurring episodes, to varying degrees of severity.
    I don't know if it helps you right now, but bear it in mind if you're not yet 25.
    Also, change your Doc if he/she keeps up that kind of attitude, they're supposed to be in a *caring* profession.
    Keep taking the Antibiots and stay warm and cosy, and sleep much!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Have you discussed having them removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭ingalway

I suffered with tonsillitis and chest infections for many years, I ended up in hospital for 5 days in my mid 20's and the symptoms were similar to what you are suffering now - severe pain, high temp, oozing pustules in my throat, unable to eat or drink and having to spit out saliva as unable to swallow, this all came after frequent infections with antibiotics to treat. I was completely run down, living a typical life of someone in their 20's - working hard, lots of late nights, too much drinking, not eating good food every day, not enough fresh air/sunlight etc and the stupidest of all - smoking. It took me a long time to kop on but I am healthier now than ever - stopped the smoking, get plenty of sleep, cut down the drink, eat healthy food and a little exercise. It's about 5 years now since I had 2 bouts of strep throat, one after the other. Still get the odd chest infection but not as severe as before. You may already look after yourself well and don't live like I used to....but just in case I thought I'd offer my experience on it. I hope you are feeling much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

i used to get quinsy, ouch......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I used to get tonsillitus as a teenager and into my early twenties. I finally had my tonsils removed when I was 22, I wish I'd had it done sooner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sophia91

I'm 17 and I keep getting tonsillitis (like every 2 months at least)........my mum doesn't want me to get them out cause she thinks then I'll just get chest infections instead cause the tonsils prevent the infection going deeper or something?? And doc says that its just a phase but I've been getting it for 3 years now so its a long 'phase'..............so does any1 think I should wait and hope it stops or get on the waiting list to get them out??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Bubblegums

Your doctor sounds like a complete knob head! All I know is that my doctor gets to see me about 2-3 times a year thanks to tonsillitis and septic throats and when he gives out the prescription he always says '...if these don't do the job come back to me...' and asks do I need a note for work! Just today I've been to see him with my first bout for this year. It's all I ever end up going to see him for and from time to time if the first course of antibiotics don't clear it and I have to go back, he never doubts if I've taken my meds, this sounds dead weird to me! He'll try a different brand and dose the next time round and that usually does the trick. Some doctors won't start you off on a high dose and in times when you might need a good blast and only get a mild dose of meds you will need to revisit the doctor... I'd consider moving to a new doctors if possible, this one doesn't have much bed side manner and when you are sick you don't need a doctor huffing and puffing at you! Oh and my doctor says that he'd rather not send me to get them out (I was on a list to get them out as a child but was never called) as it's a bit of a job as an adult and if it's only 2-3 times a year then treat it with antibiotics but that if it was more frequent we'd have to consider getting the tonsils out... yuk... I gargle (deep) with warm water with salt in it, I find a hot whiskey helps me to sleep and as it's only a small bit of alcohol it's no big deal. A good hot indian to burn its way down also gives me relief :p

Advertisement