Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Member - couple of questions

Options
  • 11-02-2010 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm an American with Dual Citizenship US/Ireland. I am 49 and retired. My wife and I are considering a move to County Kerry or thereabout. I am not a rich American.:) I wanted to know how much land and a house would be? An acre or so and a typical middle class house?
    Also, I would like to serve in a civil job role of some sort. I am probably too old for any type of military service although I believe I could pass the physicals as I am in good shape. Or, maybe as an educator? Teaching or as an administrator? A role that would serve the country as that's what I did in the US. We just started thinking about this and don't know where to start. We believe living in Ireland would be best for us. I have no idea how many folks do the same (immigrate back) and how well they are accepted given the reputation of Americans. I can speak Gaelic, don't know if that is even relevant. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any other US immigrants out there on the forum or maybe some kind natural born citizens that can give me an idea. I have lost contact with my cousins given a family rift so I am fishing for an objective viewpoint as all my friends think it's an odd idea. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from the Boards.ie Complaints/Assistance forum.

Clashboy, you need to understand that Ireland is in a really bad way at the moment. Massive job losses, government cutbacks and no end in sight. I am one of the many who has left Ireland for a life in another country.

A few links that might help you realise how bad things are:

www.independent.ie
    www.irishtimes.com
    www.rte.ie/news

And here on Boards.ie -
    Teaching and Lecturing Forum
    Living Abroad forum (with a link at the top for Americans who want to move to Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

as the above post says, jobs are not easy to come by in Ireland at the moment but you could look at www.publicjobs.ie which advertises most government related jobs or www.fas.ie for other jobs.

For property, try www.daft.ie it is a good time to buy property as house prices have been falling with the recession & there are a lot of new houses empty.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

thinking long term it might be a good time to buy a house here.

houses you are looking for would start €120,000 but that is a bit out of the way I persume you might want to be closer to a town.

I think it would depend on what kind of skills and experience you already have that would fit into current business.

If you broadened your search to counties like limerick and cork you might get a better idea of possibilities while still being close to kerry.
    Chase recruitment is supposed to be a good recruitment agency for kerry jobs.

All i can say is that it would be risky at best, i.e. you might not get a job for a 12 months if you come over, some places will not employ older people so you might have to become self employed. What have you taught in america?

Advertisement