Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porsche goes hybrid with their 911 racer

• 11-02-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

911-GT3-R-Hybrid-6-650x406.jpg
    The innovative hybrid technology featured in the car has been developed especially for racing, standing out significantly in its configuration and components from conventional hybrid systems. In this case, electrical front axle drive with two electric motors developing 60 kW each supplements the 480-bhp four-litre flat-six at the rear of the 911 GT3 R Hybrid. A further significant point is that instead of the usual batteries in a hybrid road car, an electrical flywheel power generator fitted in the interior next to the driver delivers energy to the electric motors.

Will race already in May at the 24 hours race. More details, video and pics here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Sounds similar to KERS - or is it always on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Moses7

voxpop wrote: »
    Sounds similar to KERS - or is it always on ?

Idea is very similar. If charged it gives 6-8 seconds of boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Interesting technology alright. I wonder what the acceleration / torque figures are during boost :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Electric motors' peak torque is at 0rpm, so greatest assistance is at low speeds.

At racing speeds I'd imagine the assistance will be fairly small. Pulling out of hairpin bends etc it should be useful tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If it has KERS then the fuel savings would be fairly significant, which is kinda important in a 24 hour race. The torque is an advantage too.

While I'm not gone on the likes of Priuses and Insights and other such rubbish for big interesting cars hybrids are the way of the future. I

I've never heard of any problems with the reliability of either the Toyota or the Honda hybrid system as of yet and I think it would be great to see big powerful cars have hybrid technology over modern complicated diesel engines. I think hybrids are a waste of space in smaller cars in this country because they are so expensive and so far it's only the likes of the Prius that are on sale, even though of course they will get into VRT band A so will a modern diesel so that makes them expensive.

For bigger cars with higher CO2 ratings, the considerable added cost of the hybrid system will be absorbed by the savings in VRT, not to mention road tax, meaning that the price premium is nothing like as significant. On top of that there is more of everything a car lover could want; power, economy, less VRT and of course lower road tax. It means that big engined cars can now be had and you wouldn't be spending a fortune in tax.

Who wants a big engined car with low road tax? I know I do, and hybrids will allow this to happen.

Just look at the Lexus RX, a 3.3l V6 petrol SUV gets into VRT band B, the same any diesel family car.

Imagine what Lexus could do if they put the same hybrid drivetrain into the IS or GS, we could have a V6 petrol in VRT band A(if they can get an SUV into band B they surely can get a lighter and more aerodynamic car into band A), and yes I really want that:D:D!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Why does this car exist? I can see the arguments for hybrids cars (not that I buy into them myself) that people can afford, you then get volumes and maybe some environmental benefits but what is the point in this? Surely it's green credentials are zero, and if so why bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Surely it's green credentials are zero, and if so why bother?
    It's not for green reasons. "Hybridization" is also used for power with a side effect of a marginal increase in economy. Has been done on road cars, eg Accord V6 Hybrid is quicker than the regular Accord V6. Fuel saving was a secondary objective and thus is marginal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

JHMEG wrote: »
    It's not for green reasons. "Hybridization" is also used for power with a side effect of a marginal increase in economy. Has been done on road cars, eg Accord V6 Hybrid is quicker than the regular Accord V6. Fuel saving was a secondary objective and thus is marginal.

OK, so they are using this technology to deliver a bit more power while not hurting economy? I'm not being facetious I'm just trying to understand!

They could get more power without the hybrid technology, and Porsche owners couldn't give a monkeys about mpg, it just all smacks of a hollow PR stunt!

Why does this car exist?

Why have road legal racing versions of Porsches always existed? ;)

I can imagine acceleration from a KERS setup with 480BHP RWD + 2*60KW FWD for boost only is a lot easier / cheaper to make and use than an equivalenty accerating conventional 4WD setup requiring what - 800-900BHP?

Porsche produced the worlds first hybrid vehicle (Lohner Porsche) back in 1899 :eek:

normal.jpg?pool=germany&type=image&id=environment-hybrid-lohnerporsche-xle&lang=none&filetype=normal

Spot the electric motors...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Moses7

turns out the system is actually developed by Williams Formula 1 subsidiary called Williams Hybrid Systems. SO basically just like KERS with minor changes like a pair motor generators on the front wheels instead of the single unit on the gearbox as it was on the F1 car last season.

explaining video here.

Advertisement