Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best option for an Android phone on an irish carrier?

• 11-02-2010 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I really want an android phone but Ireland being Ireland means the selection is terrible!! Here is my run down as far as I know from the top of my head:

Vodafone:
    HTC Tattoo – not a bad value data plan but a bad android phone as far as app availability?
    Meteor:
    HTC Hero – this is the best I can see, except for the contract
    O2
    Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700 – half decent data package and price, decentish phone but I had never heard of it and there is relatively little information out there
    3:
    Nothing that I could find!

Anyway, of these I think the O2 Samsung phone might be acceptable, would prefer the Hero but it’s a little more expensive and my wife is switching to O2.

Should I wait a few months to see if Ireland catches up with 2008 for android phone selection (would love the droid or nexus one)
    Should I go with one of the above (I’ll be on contract anyway so it might suit)
    Should I bite the bullet and pay retail price for an unlocked phone (don’t like this option as I will be on a contract anyway and it doesn’t look like it will work out cheaper to but over the internet)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭YourSQL

buy phone unlocked + use meteor bill pay lite or 3 best of both. cheaper in the long run i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 crackola

i guess i could but i'd prefer not to have the involved hassles tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭YourSQL

what hassle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 crackola

just the ordering process from some dodge site and is there hassle setting up the phone to use data?

My post was more querying if i had missed any mentions of android phones or is someone in the know about ones that are coming soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Hero on Meteor with 30 euro trade in on any phone with a camera is hands-down best value.

Best value from an Irish operator in ages I'd say ... last great value was Meteor with the N95 8GB a couple of years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Do Meteor stores have this offer? I know 3G Stores did but they are now closed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I got my new HTC Hero on Sunday last for 79euro from meteor, im on the 25 euro per month tarriff, 200 mins and 200 text per month plus 300 web text.
    I chose the 12 month contract for 25 per month, the 18 month is 20 per month.
    Delighted with the Hero, tis a beast of a handset,totally loving andriod and the many apps available.
    Its a great deal for an Andriod handset.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Do Meteor stores have this offer? I know 3G Stores did but they are now closed.
    They sure do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Is the Hero still unlocked. Ive been waiting for ages to get one and Im finally able to get one now.

Sorry about Hyjacking the thread OP.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Is the Hero still unlocked. Ive been waiting for ages to get one and Im finally able to get one now.

Sorry about Hyjacking the thread OP.

Don't really think it matters because Meteor will provide you with the unlock code once you sign the contract. There's a chance they mightn't be quick about it, but they will give it to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've just bought the HTC Desire on O2 Billpay for 200 euro, and it's fantastic. The hardware is very similar to the iPhone 4 specs - barr the screen res - except for the fact that it's obviously running Froyo. Lovely phone! The battery life isn't brilliant, but if you root it, you can download apps to underclock your processor. I clocked it from 1GHz down to .8, and didn't notice any difference, but I got a good 2+hrs battery out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement