Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this compost do the job?

Options
  • 11-02-2010 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

So being the rookie that I am, I managed to pick up a bag of Ericacous Compost instead of the all-purpose. I really went for it because I thought it was just a compact version as I don't have much room to store tools or compost.

I'll be planting herbs and some other seeds,will this compost effect its growth?Should i just restart and plant in new compost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ericaceous compost is for plants that prefer acid soil, such as heathers, azaleas etc that normally grow in moorland or bog areas. It does not have lime which is needed by most other plants and I don't think your seeds would do well in it. Could you take it back and exchange it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

thanks looksee,

Have it opended and have some herbs planted, i noticed it was the wrong stuff when i opened it and it looked a bit different. I have a few more things to plant so didn't want to go ahead with those until I knew for sure

Think i'll just get a normal bag of it, bloody storage of a huge bag of compost is the issue!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Either buy some lime and add that to the ericaceous compost, or buy a blueberry bush and plant that in the ericaceous compost... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Or an azalea or a fancy camellia and put it in a tub.

Advertisement