Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trekking in Nepal during monsoon season!

Options
  • 11-02-2010 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

I'm going to be in Nepal in August and am planning to do a 10 day trek. I want to get some decent gear before I go, most importantly a waterproof jacket. I have no experience in this area - do I want to look specifically for Gore-Tex? Any recommendations would be hugely appreciated. I have a max budget of €250, though if I could get something super waterproof for less I'd be delighted.

I have a pair of Hi-Tec waterproof hiking boots. I know these aren't the best but I'd be loathe to get a new pair as they seem fine and I'm in the middle of breaking them in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A raft & umbrella maybe :D

Seriously though I'd be wary of the Hi-tec, not sure they stand up to well, though if they are new they should be ok, lots of compeed just in case
    Make sure you have a heavy cover for your bag, the built in ones that some rucksacks have may not be good enough to keep that much water out.

jacket, waterproof bottoms and gaiters would be essential IMO. In terms of Gore-tex its much of a muchness, personally I think its over rated. The old Triple Point Ceramic was much better but can't be gotten anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Hi, i would personally recommend getting a Gore-Tex jacket, as i am a firm believer that its the only material that is fully waterproof.

I recently bought this Berghaus jacket and its been brilliant. The price on the link i think is wrong as i got this in Millets for only €150 and its on many sites for around this price such as here!

I also think waterproof trousers would be essential for such weather.

Hope this is of some use!

Advertisement