Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Gmail, Hotmail for your business email client

Options
  • 11-02-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭

I recently moved a client's web site to a new host in the process.

The client had a hotmail.com account and separately logged into the original host's web mail. After moving to the new host we added the business email account to hotmail.
    We noticed that hotmail is slow to download emails from the business account i.e. it is an automatic thing and it doesn't download very often. So, I changed things so that business emails are simply forwarded to hotmail, with no mailbox on the hosting account. The client verified the account with hotmail so she can send emails from hotmail with the business account in the From field.

As there isn't a mailbox, are there any risks with this setup?

I use Yahoo mail with my business emails forwarded, but I have a business mailbox and I regularly download them (Yahoo doesn't do this automatically).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Did this for a client using Gmail and they are very happy. I think Gmail offers far more options for importing accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

John_Mc wrote: »
    Did this for a client using Gmail and they are very happy. I think Gmail offers far more options for importing accounts.
    Gmail appears to check every hour. I could not find out the Hotmail download frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Not sure if this is your situation, but however: if you setup a POP3 account within Google Apps for Domains (i.e. your business branded Gmail) then Google will poll your POP3 account at a variable rate.

It's rarely (I think once an hour) if you don't get much email, but up to every 4-5 minutes if the address is getting a lot of email [at that time]. If the receive rate drops off, so does the polling frequency.

(I'd prefer if there was an option to set it to poll every X minutes reliably).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You can also change your mx records to point to Google's mail servers in Google Apps.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That'd probably make much more sense. Then you can also either use the web client or use GMail IMAP with desktop clients or both. And you get push messages to mobile devices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement