Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nightshots... help?!

• 11-02-2010 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,

Am going to NY at the beginning of March and one of the evenings Mrs JanneG has booked dinner in the Rockefeller and afterwards has booked a trip up to Top Of The Rock ie. the top of the Rockefeller center... I would like to have a go at taking a shot or two from up there and am bringing a 50mm f/1.4 + a 18-50mm f/3.5-6.3 wide lens together with a unipod (to save space)... Would this be ok or am I wasting my time without a tripod?

However, I've never really taken any nightshots and was wondering what ye would recommend? What kind of shutter speeds and aperture do you reckon I should go for? I'd be using the mirror lock on the camera to try to minimize the impact there but I'm just looking for your opinions?

Either way, I'll be "practising" before flying out but was hoping for a tiny kick-start...

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

FYI.
    Not sure if they allow Tripods or Monopods up on the top of the Rock.

But here's a clear daytime photo so you know what you will have to work with at night, maybe the viewers will come in handy to balance the camera still if you can't bring in a monopod.

3560676811_86c05e959b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

different people can hand-hold different minimum shutter speeds without shake; get some practice in at home and maybe use that shutter speed and increase the ISO until you get a good exposure ?

If I remember you shoot out in between the vertical panes of glass at the top of the tower; you can kinda brace yourself on them.

I'd say it's going to be absolutely Baltic up there at night this time of year you might want hats/gloves scarves portable gas heater, chestnuts roasting on an open fire etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Pick up a gorrilla pod, you'll be able to get that up no probs and it won't take up space and put the eye on you when your using it. :)

gorilla_pod_slr2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Masada wrote: »
    Pick up a gorrilla pod, you'll be able to get that up no probs and it won't take up space and put the eye on you when your using it. :)

+1 to that

It seems they do not allow tripods for the casual visitor and you might be told not to use your monopod (I have been told during my travels to other locations that a monopod is considered the same thing). That said pick up a gorilla pod, in NY if you have the time or here if you don't. I have one and have never had a problem at locations where tripods are forbidden.
    We do not allow tripods or professional video cameras on the observation deck. To schedule a professional film or photo shoot, please complete the request form located on the Contact Us portion of the website, http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/contactus, and email to filmphoto@topoftherocknyc.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭akaspike

Get to the very top of the Rockefeller, i think theres two of three levels. On the top level you will be able to sit your camera on the stone wall/ledge, which in turn will act as your tripod. The only problem is you might pick up a bit of the lower deck with a wide lens.

(i've just noticed homerun_homers pic) :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I too would suggest a Gorillapod. I have the SLR Zoom model. Very useful in these situations.

As for Exposure settings. Assuming you can get the camera stable, then set ISO to minimum (100 Canon, 200 Nikon) & Manual. Close the Aperture down (f16 +) and then try a few different shutter speeds. Maybe do a set at 1/2 sec, 2 sec, 8 sec, 30 seconds & have a look at what you get. This is a 2 stop bracket which will give you plenty of scope, especially if you are shooting RAW. Do not move the camera between shots, that way you will be able to play with the different exposures later in PP.

Advertisement