Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So both Vodafone Home BB and Smart are really really bad. Now what?

• 11-02-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

There aren't many broadband options in my area. I've been BT for a few years, all was great. Ever since Vodafone took over, my broadband is HORRENDOUS!! But that's not exactly news.

I was almost just about to order broadband from Smart, until I did a search and found this: http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/smart-telecom/

I mean, jesus, what broadband company can I trust??

Are Imagine any good? I think Imagine and Eircom are my final two options.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

AFAIK imagine are just a reseller, just like vodafone. Can you get UPC where you live by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

AFAIK imagine are just a reseller, just like vodafone. Can you get UPC where you live by any chance?

Unfortunately no. I wish. When I lived in Dublin I had UPC broadband for a year and in my experience it is second to none.

What exactly does it mean that a broadband company are "a reseller?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

whirlpool wrote: »
    I was almost just about to order broadband from Smart, until I did a search and found this: http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/smart-telecom/

Third review down is funny as fook in your link.He has 1 star for performance and reliability but yet posted here he downloaded 36gigs in 1 day.Can only imagine what he could download if he got 5 star performance/reliability :rolleyes:

If you can get magnet/smart adsl2 or upc i would get ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Unfortunately no. I wish. When I lived in Dublin I had UPC broadband for a year and in my experience it is second to none.

What exactly does it mean that a broadband company are "a reseller?"

A reseller is someone who resells the eircom packages. Which is pretty much all of them to be honest. They just rebrand and re-price. Its pretty much like the old Ford Fiesta, which could be bought even cheaper from Mazda under the name 121.

A reseller is someone who resells the eircom packages. Which is pretty much all of them to be honest. They just rebrand and re-price. Its pretty much like the old Ford Fiesta, which could be bought even cheaper from Mazda under the name 121.

Really? Woah I did not know that. At all. How did I not know this?

So which ISPs aren't resellers? I'm assuming UPC and Smart aren't resellers...?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Really? Woah I did not know that. At all. How did I not know this?

So which ISPs aren't resellers? I'm assuming UPC and Smart aren't resellers...?

Smart are a reseller, but not always. It's only where an exchange has been LLU'd that they have their own equipment in that they sell their own packages. Otherwise they resell Eircom packages. The same applies to Magnet. In UPC's case they don't use ADSL so there's nothing they can resell.

just looking up Eircom prices there... pretty expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

your not going to see a difference with eicom - as has been mentioned you would be using the exact same product at the same contention ratio...

the only reseller I have found that offers a better contention ratio on the eircom product is UTV - they offer a contention of 12:1 on their 8mb vs Vodafone / Eircom who are 48:1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

just looking up Eircom prices there... pretty expensive!

Same "stuff" as vodafone so if voda is bad then eircom will be bad too.

bealtine wrote: »
    Same "stuff" as vodafone so if voda is bad then eircom will be bad too.

Well see this is what I don't get. Ever since Vodafone took over from BT at the end of last year, the broadband went a million miles downhill. It's horrendous. Simply do a search on this forum for the hundreds of posts complaining about Vodafone Home broadband. There are major problems with Vodafone country-wide at the mo. Yet I've heard nothing of the sort about any of the other ISPs.

So how is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

The reason why you have a large proportion of users on Vodafone complaining is simple. Its because when they were with BT and on the 7.6MB service they were on a 24:1 contention ratio. When Vodafone took over they were switched to 48:1 - so basically double the users are now using the same backhaul bandwidth. So during peak times, ex-BT customers are really feeling the service going downhill.

There really will be no improvement in eircom, vodafone, utv, smart or any other provider reselling eircom's service until the exchanges are upgraded.

Advertisement