Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only fresh bread for our Swans, please!

Options
  • 11-02-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Can't see it on the Advertiser's website (so no linky), but there's a great article on page 6 about not feeding the swans stale bread.

Allegedly there's some science in it: folks from UCC and the University of Orlando have said that mouldy bread is the cause of pink feather syndrome.

The nice folks from Galway and Claddagh Swan Rescue say "Please do not feed the moulded, stale or white bread to the swans ... white bread has no nutrition or fibre and consequently is indigestible for swans".

There's room for an enterprising baker to start selling "swan bread" to tourists methinks ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Let me just emphasise the "no white bread either" part.

Just fresh brown bread folks.

Or cooked vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

unJustMary wrote: »
    "swan bread"

:eek:

Made from those that were already dead,
    please try our world famous Swan bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Do the swans not know there's a recession on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

should feed them beef burgers instead tbf they'll be full of fat and float better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

unJustMary wrote: »

Allegedly there's some science in it: folks from UCC and the University of Orlando have said that mouldy bread is the cause of pink feather syndrome.

Claddagh flamingos has a nice ring to it, don't you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

pink feather syndrome? Sounds interesting

/opens packaging on bread so it'll go stale quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am surprised that no one sells swan food. Most sanctuaries in the UK sell bags of mixed corn, flaked wheat etc & get the visitors to pay to feed the swans.

Just ignore JC. We all know how much he loves the Swans on, what he regards as his, slipway !

Out of interest if anyone here knows the Swan rescue personnel could they PM me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Discodog wrote: »
    Just ignore JC. We all know how much he loves the Swans on, what he regards as his, slipway !
    It's a public slipway, so as far as i'm concerned it's everyones. That slipway was built with, and is maintained by tax payers money... tax that I pay. What fcuking tax to the swans pay? They sh1te all over it is about all they do :pac: But on a serious note, the slipway was built for the launching and retrieval of boats, NOT as a sleeping place for swans. Hence if a boat is to be launched, one will happily move the swans along... they have plenty space on the stones
    Out of interest if anyone here knows the Swan rescue personnel could they PM me please.
    I have 2 of their numbers here somewhere, PM me later to remind me and ill look for them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have their phone numbers just interested in knowing more about the organisation or possible lack of it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

yeah, fresh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Any idea if they'd prefer ciabatta or brioche ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I hear swans lone Polish bread, there's a special on in Lidl too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Im sorry to revive an old thread but that article is non-sense. They completely manipulated that facts!

White bread is digestible but is of no nutritional value, just like ourselves.

Staleness does not cause Pink Feather Flamingo Syndrome, that is caused by OIL spills and chemicals. Look it up! No study at all shows its stale bread!

Research your facts and stop making them up. cornynebacterium! Google it.

The Study in Orlando that ye were referring to also, was actually, pinpointed to a bacteria existing in the water, not from bread! Pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

This thread is old. The information and article is old, and probably disproven at this stage. Maybe Nature & Birdwatching or Animals & Pet Issues might have more up-to-date info, and discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement