Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No modding in PI!

Options
  • 11-02-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there!

Not sure if this is the right forum, but seeing as I'm involved in a debate about modding/feedback and I am guilty of not reporting stuff as such, I have decided to report it this time.

The issue is this thread in PI
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055825028
    Now, the OP wrote in txtspeak, and myself and and admin pointed out politely that this was unhelpful and not really within the boards.ie rules, in the very first two replies. She lthen apologised, but still used poor punctuation, but I'm not a grammar nazi (at least not in PI), so far so good.

Now, it's descended into a thread about punctuation, grammar and for some reason, Paris Hilton. I've reported four posts (more than doubles my total number of reported posts since I joine boards.ie).

I'm of the opinoin that the thread should be locked long ago and bans should have been handed out, but in the fourteen hours the thread has been going, not one of the eleven mods/cmods should have stepped in.

Just some feedback for you. I'd be interested in knowing how you feel.

CHeers,

P.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

PI imo has always been well moderated. Perhaps, none of the mods have seen the reported posts yet or they don't think it should be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

PI imo has always been well moderated. Perhaps, none of the mods have seen the reported posts yet or they don't think it should be locked.

True, this is the exception. I only reported the posts as I was posting this, in fairness, so it's too early to say about that. But the thread itself is the issue, and that seems to be a free-for-all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    True, this is the exception. I only reported the posts as I was posting this, in fairness, so it's too early to say about that. But the thread itself is the issue, and that seems to be a free-for-all.
    I've read over the thread again and there are possibly a few posts going OT but I think most of the posts are related to the OP's question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Hi

I was just looking at the thread in question when you reported the posts

I will be warning in thread but there isn't anything ban worthy yet

As point out the op was pointed away from using text speak in the first couple of posts and I am not a fan of it but sometimes there are reasons for people posting like that so I don't like seeing people constantly bring it up

Personally aside from asking people to stop referring to the OP's grammer and asking them to keep on topic I don't see anything else wrong with the thread

What issue do you have on it and how can we Mod PI better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Then how about you give the mods a chance to respond to the reported posts.
    We don't have 24hr coverage on the forum and we don't read every thread and baby sit them. Thank you for reporting the posts, if posts are not reported threads can be over looked if they are not flagged for us to look over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I only reported the posts as I was posting this.

Can I ask why you posted this thread in Feedback if the Mods haven't had time to respond to the reports.

Also, how can you say in your thread title that there is no modding in that forum if you haven't given them anytime to respond?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thaedydal wrote: »
    We don't have 24hr coverage on the forum and we don't read every thread and baby sit them.
    Pretty much. Speaking for myself Ive not been on for much of today or of late and my emails on the fratz so I have to read every thread or keep an eye on the reported posts forum. Plus looking at the thread most of this seems to have kicked off since noon today and just having found the reported posts, they were lodged at just past 3 today and were acted on in thread by a mod within a half hour. While improvements can and should always be made, that's pretty good going in fairness.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Whats the problem? Like you say yourself, you only recently reported the posts. Give the PI mods a chance to act and bare in mind that just because a post is reported that doesnt mean the mods will take the action (if any) that the reporter expects. In general.

PI mods are among the best on Boards and most attractive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

No PI mods?
    6th and I'll do it. Sort that miserable lot right out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

6th wrote: »

You say the nicest things :)
    No PI mods?
    6th and I'll do it. Sort that miserable lot right out.

You however don't :p

Whatever about the posts being reported and this thread being started shortly afterwards all I am concerned with is if there is a problem in PI and with the modding and we can do it better (where practical) then people should tell us and shouldn't be afraid to tell us

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Only the women. the men are munters. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Fine.
    Just take 6th then.
    That's fine.
    I don't feel rejected. Not at all.

Some people are born with 6th. Others have 6th thrust upon them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'm not going to criticise the PI Mods, I never go there.

However anyone who produced that text speak post should be banned forthwith, quam celerrime,comh taipig 'gus is féidir.

An affront to civilised discourse, and a blight on the posters integrity.

What kind of shíte is that.?

:mad::mad:

However anyone who produced that text speak post should be banned forthwith, quam celerrime,comh taipig 'gus is féidir.

An affront to civilised discourse, and a blight on the posters integrity.

What kind of shíte is that.?

:mad::mad:
    People who arent au fe with how boards works can make the txt speak mistake in their first few posts. A lot of subsequently good posters have. Plus many txt speak a lot of the time. Way of some of the kids it seems. Plus sometimes it can be a learning difficulty. Sadly, not everyone has good speling or grammar or has felt the need to learn it. So some early leeway and guidance is surely a good thing? Though yes if it continues...
    6th wrote:
    Some people are born with 6th. Others have 6th thrust upon them.
    and thats why we have restraining orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Others have 6th thrust upon them.

An experience that should be reserved for your missus, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Others have 6th thrust upon them.

that would cause a few PI threads alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The issue is this thread in PI
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055825028
    Now, the OP wrote in txtspeak...
    I can make out the words, just not the sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Yeah, it wasn't the textspeak so much as the complete lack of sense, or punctuation. I don't think it's too much to ask that people write clearly on a message board that's text-based...

However, posters harassing the girl about it isn't really on. Didn't someone used to edit PI posts that were terribly worded? That was awesome.

awesome but alot of work i'd imagine.

• Advertisement

I know I did edit long posts(personal expertise ;)) with no paragraphs by adding same. Maybe twice or three times a month. I only translated one txt speak post that I recall. Others did this too. If there's time its worth it I think. sometimes people are a bit wound up and upset so just stream of consciousness it.

At the risk of getting into editorialising, some PIs (and posts) just aren't worth deciphering.

That was one of them IMHO.

I have to disagree there. Whose call should that be? I personally wouldnt feel I have the right to dismiss one or allow another. I know a guy, hard as nails that has a major phobia about worms. Sounds utterly daft to me(and most), but not to him and hes got far more stones than me in other areas. People differ. So unless its someone posting spam or muppetry, or being suicidal, medical advice etc, I dont think any PI mod has the right to start editorialising posts like that. I never saw the others do it either.

That's why I said there was a risk of editorialising ;)

I'm all for PI being a "safe place" inasmuch as it can be, but I don't think the mods should be expected to translate someone's gibberish into a meaningful message. Fair play to those that did and do, but it's above and beyond. People who mumble are asked to repeat themselves, the least expected of folk on a text based medium should be some level of intelligibility, in my view (dependent on where they are; PI is obviously going to be at the more lenient end of the scale).

On another note, at what point does one stop? Enough to make it legible, or, and I personally would find it hard to restrain myself (I'm a GrammaNazi, and make no apology for that), correcting grammar and diction as well?

If it turns into a lengthy exchange, or if the OP feels their message has been lost and can communicate that-things could get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Yeah, good point actually. If someone can't be arsed communicating effectively the thread should be left to die of natural causes. Clamp down on people abusing the OP over their terrible spelling/grammar/whatever though - it's not cool. Helpful nudges by the mods are the way to go, and that already happens.

That thread is a bit of a once-off tbh, I'm in PI a fair bit and that's the most incoherent thread I've seen in months.

shellyboo wrote: »
    That thread is a bit of a once-off tbh, I'm in PI a fair bit and that's the most incoherent thread I've seen in months.

It is rare enough, in fairness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I think if people want to tell us how we're modding that's fair enough, but it's not fair enough to make the thread about someone who posted looking for help in PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thie OP and the txtspk was not the issue, it was the unhelpful reacions to it.
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    Can I ask why you posted this thread in Feedback if the Mods haven't had time to respond to the reports.

Also, how can you say in your thread title that there is no modding in that forum if you haven't given them anytime to respond?
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Then how about you give the mods a chance to respond to the reported posts.
    We don't have 24hr coverage on the forum and we don't read every thread and baby sit them. Thank you for reporting the posts, if posts are not reported threads can be over looked if they are not flagged for us to look over.

I should perhaps clarify this. I reported two posts, then, when it got to the point where I would be reporting most of the posts in the thread, I decide to start this thread. Individual posts, I agree, I'd have waited for, but when the whole thread descended into chaos, I opted for here.

Apologies to the mods concenred if I over reacted. But I get told to "take it to helpdesk" so often, I decided to try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Fine.
    Just take 6th then.
    That's fine.
    I don't feel rejected. Not at all.

You do know you have just added yourself to the pool of potential pi replacement mods :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ever wonder how other PI mods come and go, but Thaed is still as fresh-faced as ever in there?

I'm just saying, is all. Nice knowing you 6th.

Advertisement