Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2010 HSI Photography Competition

Options
  • 11-02-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Apologies with this being my first post. Im more of a viewer and do enjoy the boards quite a bit. Used to have an old account but seems inaccessable now so it must be too old or was lost a few months back.

Getting back on track, The Herpetological Society of Ireland has launched a National Photography Competition, It went live on the 8th of February 2010 and it ends on the 17th of March 2010.

There are some great prizes to be had and it is to help grow the society and make the public more aware of the society and to help promote our goals and aims. Details can be seen on the poster below, If you want to learn more about the society or need a full list of details or terms & conditions of the competition please visit our website.

www.thehsi.org

HSIPC10.jpg

Thanks again all and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask here or contact info@thehsi.org

Mark,
    Editor /SIZE][SIZE=1][I]The Herpetological Society of Ireland[/I
    hsircban.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I can't see any mention of what the entry fee ! is :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Hmm ill have a look at that, apoligies.

It should be on the competition page or one of the links that includes the terms & conditions or the details.

The fee for non members is €5.00

There is no fee for members of The HSI, they can apply for free.

Ideally if you have an interest in any side of herpetology not limited to captive care or keeping you should consider joining. We have members who are interested in all areas, The animals themselves, art, photography, conservation etc.

Anyways thanks for your interest and should you decide to join best of luck!

Thanks,

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Why is there an entry fee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Why is there an entry fee ?

Fundraising I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I've some great photos of human snakes :D I wonder would they be allowed :p

• Advertisement

Thanks Sinead, Pretty much.

The reason why there is an entry fee is because funds are needed to be raised for the society. The prizes are quite good considering the current economic climate. There needs to be an incentive to be a member of the society. There are alot of other aspects that are great to being a member such as our publication, lectures, events etc. Our members have already contributed to the society with their yearly subscription.

The main goal would be to get as many members joining up as possible but we dont want to force the hand of those who have no particular interest in Herpetology but do have an interest in photography and would like to have a chance at winning some of the prizes.

Thanks for your interest and should you decide to enter or join, best of luck!

Covey wrote: »
    I've some great photos of human snakes :D I wonder would they be allowed :p

Haha, im not so sure on that one!

Bear in mind it isnt purely limited to pictures relating to Herpetology (snakes,reptiles,amphibians,invertebrates) it is a wildlife photography competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

MarkJD wrote: »
    Haha, im not so sure on that one!

Bear in mind it isnt purely limited to pictures relating to Herpetology (snakes,reptiles,amphibians,invertebrates) it is a wildlife photography competition.

Was *just* about to ask that. Wasn't sure.

Biding by the terms of the competition the photograph can be of anything (within reason and legal of course) but ideally the winner would be a wildlife photograph as it is a national wildlife photography competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

***WARNING***

The HSI website contains a malware virus posing as an anti-virus software package. Called secuirty tool, To stop it look for the file in task manger, it will be listed as some 'random-numbers.exe'

Do not visit the site until this has been cleared up!

If you have already visited the site and have this issue, you can remove the virus using this fix.
    http://www.techjaws.com/how-to-remove-security-tool-virus/

Or you can download a similar malware removal tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 FionnanBurke

Hi All,
    My name is Fionnan Burke. I currently maintain and design thehsi.org.
    I would like to apologize for the virus on the site, unfortunately our host was infected and we are working hard to resolve it by moving host.
    This site is now fine and the virus has been cleaned.

If anybody is infected or having any problems please feel free to PM me here or alternatively get me at web@thehsi.org and I will help you immediately.

If anybody is looking for more information on this infection or has anything to add please feel free to get in touch.

I cannot apologize for this enough and we will do everything we can to keep this virus off the site.

Please do not let this put you off entering the competition as it is a great chance to show off your photography skills and possibly win a fantastic prize.

Regards,
    Fionnan Burke

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Hi Fionnan,

I fixed mine with malware bytes. Not the first time I have seen something like this. Glad you are on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FionnanBurke

DK32 wrote: »
    Hi Fionnan,

I fixed mine with malware bytes. Not the first time I have seen something like this. Glad you are on top of it.

Yeah we have it sorted now. I just wish I could find the person responsible for it!!!

Take care,
    Fionnan

Hi All,

I cant apologise enough for this, was unaware of any virus or trojan problems with the website. Thanks to Fionnan for getting this resolved fast. Hopefully no damage was done to anyones PC and it wont deter anyone from considering an entry.

Thanks again and full apologies!

Advertisement