Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of Limerick Region?? Ideas??

Options
  • 11-02-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Draft-development-plan-for-Limerick.6056947.jp

So we are going to have grafitti zones... GREAT... now wheres my job???
    Maybe I should become a grafitti artist.. How do you tell the difference between good grafitti & bad?? :rolleyes: Yes there are some really good artists around but there are also a lot of ones who think they are..

Anyway they are looking for your ideas if you have any.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1485:save-cruises-street-trader&catid=37:local-news&Itemid=60
    Save cruises street meeting!

LIMERICK REGION (city, county, midwest) is in trouble and its spreading fast... Every street in Limerick has empty units, even the crescent, I don't believe the out of town shopping centres is draining from the city...
    Crescent might always be busy but how many people just wandering, something to do, Look at all the ZERO shopping bags will tell you, People go to shopping centres does not mean shops are making money..

UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE ANY MONEY TO SPEND..
    21,375 people are on the Live Register in Limerick city and county.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2010/01/13/story109545.asp

Now add to this figure all the students, how many went back to school because of unemployment.. How many of them can find part time jobs?? How many of them have money for spending.. some of them maybe.. but a lot of them don't! What will happen when they graduate... Know a lot of people with degres signing on... we already have a skilled dole queue..

DELL MONEY: so getting money to train, who is really going to benefit, my guess is the schools who provide the OVERPRICED training for what?? Good luck to all the dell workers anyway!! May the future be bright!

Just did a fetac 5 course myself for 700e.. now I got another skill to add to my CV..

DUNNESS STORES SARSFIELD STREET: Eyesore.. Anyone know whats happening with it? It is for rent, sale, abandoned?

Can dunnes donate it to people of limerick for a park, skate park, mini golf course, jogging track, or indoor market (temp while new one is built) All the unemployed can make something and sell it to all the other unemployed!)

OPERA HOUSE: free car park... need I say more.

REGENERATION: says is all when they employ family & company cars! They should be FIRED! There is enough people on the dole queues to replace them on minimum wage.. or wpp..

GHOST HOUSING ESTATES: We don't have any according to gov statictics.. (maybe thats cause they are all filled with rent allowance)
    But we do have a GHOST REGION!

If you have a job..and think this does not effect you.. DREAM ON, you have partners, kids, family..

The value of your house is getting less and less by the day,(which I think is a good thing) unless you believe the estate agents (dear bank manager can I have a mortage on 196e a week)

Hope your going to be able to hold on to your job.. as unemployment keeps growing and growing, bet Bank of Scotland people thought they had a "good job"

Whats for the future who knows your guess is as good as mine..
    LIMERICK IS A BEAUTIFUL CITY BY A BEAUTIFUL RIVER now I'm off to feed the swans..Its free..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The numbers signing on in Limerick is actually scary. Of the 21,375 on the live register in Limerick city and county, 15,600 are within the city limits. Those are huge figures for a place with a population as small as Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

The Lines in the Dole office are out the door every day,

The government can't even recruit a few unemployed people to help with the long lines..

Its an Irish/world problem, but Limerick to me seems worse effected, Dublin, Cork, Galway cities are still buzzing with the long dole queues,

I am thinking don't know where to check for figures, but I would guess there is a lot more people working % wise in Cork, Galway & Dublin to keep it going.

Published Date: 10 February 2010
    By Nick Rabbitts

MINISTER of State Peter Power has insisted getting people back in employment "remains the top priority for the government", as 15,617 people in the city face the dole.
    Figures out this week from the Central Statistics Office show that there are now 22,010 people across Limerick city and county who are out of work, or working short time hours.

The depressing statistics have forced opposition spokesman Kieran O'Donnell to once again call for the recommendations of the first task force report to be implemented.

But these plans suffered a blow this week after Defence Minister Willie O'Dea said one of the report's key recommendations - the acceleration of the regeneration plan - is unlikely to happen at all now.

However, Minister Power pointed out that Intel has announced a €50m RDA contribution to the Shannon Freezone.

He also pointed out a number of small scale job creations in Limerick city. But the unemployment figure has soared by 157 per cent - well above the national average - over the last two years to give Limerick one of the highest figures of people out of work.

"These figures are disappointing. After experiencing falls in the number of people signing on the Live Register in early Autumn. The increases experienced in early months are unwelcome. It reflects the need to keep focusing on the creation of job search, training and work experience supports for the unemployed," Minister Power added.

However, Deputy Kieran O'Donnell said the jobs crisis represents a "tsunami" which the government does not wish to address.

"In the year since the announcement by Dell of the closure of their manufacturing facility in Raheen and the resulting loss of thousands of indirect and direct jobs, there is no sign of any replacement industry, nor any government initiative to replace any of the jobs lost. We still do not seem any closer to having a single new IDA-backed job announced for Limerick. It's well over a year since the last IDA jobs announcement. We are being forgotten by the government," he said.

"I will continue to bring this up and to campaign for jobs for Limerick, and I will be bringing the issue up in the Dail with the Tanaiste. We cannot become Ireland's forgotten city as the unemployment situation here continues to decline at a worse rate than the state average."

Advertisement