Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 wont let me create a partition

• 11-02-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Recently installed windows 7 and im extremely happy with it as its running great. However im having extreme difficulty making another partition on it.

I have a 250 gig hard-drive(really its 232) and right now there is 151 gb free. What i want to do is create a partition of 80gb so i can keep all my audio recording programs on there own partition. However no matter what I do it wont allow me to do this, i could be going about it the wrong way however.

At the moment im going into disk management, right clicking on the hard-drive, and trying to shrink it to 152 gb so i can create a new partition. I try to shrink it by 80 gb(or 80000 mb) but it wont let me saying that theirs the max i can shrink it by is 49170. This is the part thats got me confused as hell.

If i have a 232 gb hard drive and ive only used just over 80 gb why cant i shrink the partition by more than this? is there something im missing here?

Any help to getting my problem sorted would be awesome.

heres some pics if they might help:
    partition.jpg

parition2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Some unmoveable files are blocking the shrink looks like to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

try a free 3rd party app like

http://www.partitionwizard.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Kqj44S-iY

See if it works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Patricide wrote: »
    Recently installed windows 7 and im extremely happy with it as its running great. However im having extreme difficulty making another partition on it.

I have a 250 gig hard-drive(really its 232) and right now there is 151 gb free. What i want to do is create a partition of 80gb so i can keep all my audio recording programs on there own partition. However no matter what I do it wont allow me to do this, i could be going about it the wrong way however.

At the moment im going into disk management, right clicking on the hard-drive, and trying to shrink it to 152 gb so i can create a new partition. I try to shrink it by 80 gb(or 80000 mb) but it wont let me saying that theirs the max i can shrink it by is 49170. This is the part thats got me confused as hell.

If i have a 232 gb hard drive and ive only used just over 80 gb why cant i shrink the partition by more than this? is there something im missing here?

Any help to getting my problem sorted would be awesome.

heres some pics if they might help:
    partition.jpg

parition2.jpg
    If you try and partition your drive using the Win7 installation disk instead of trying to do it within Win7 you should have more luck. I don't think that part of disk management was really designed for this sort of stuff, more like assigning unassigned space etc...

Reducing the allocated space for a drive is a different ball game altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Peglegged wrote: »
    try a free 3rd party app like

http://www.partitionwizard.com/
    Partition magic worked a treat, got my partition made in about 5 minutes. Thanks again for the help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement