Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request: Change to Personal Issues forum Rules

Options
  • 11-02-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Mods,

can we change the forum rules here to that morilisation and giving out to OPs results in a banning?

People come to this forum to request assistance from a vast amount of members, not to be criticised and morally rediculed by them.

Matt
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sometimes Matt the only "assistance" that people want is confirmation that they did the right thing. A lot of these people haven't done the right thing and so get criticised.

Many people are asking for an opinion on their situation/problem and often a harsh but completely impartial view is far more helpful than a hug and pandering to self-sorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

opinionised questions fair enough, when it not opionised i don't think its fair for users OPs to be berated by other users when if they've done something wrong they already know its wrong and are seeking advice not further demoralisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

matt-dublin that can fall under the heading of unhelpful posts, if you think that a post is unhelpful please report it for the mods to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I presume the posting of lolcats in this thread is out of the question?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This was moved from PI? Sorry, it's not entirely clear when reading the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

oscarBravo wrote: »
    This was moved from PI? Sorry, it's not entirely clear when reading the thread.

Yes, sorry, moved from PI.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thread title changed for clarity.

seamus wrote: »
    Sometimes Matt the only "assistance" that people want is confirmation that they did the right thing. A lot of these people haven't done the right thing and so get criticised.

Many people are asking for an opinion on their situation/problem and often a harsh but completely impartial view is far more helpful than a hug and pandering to self-sorrow.

What seamus said.
    Sometimes you do have to be a bit cruel to be kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I don't like when a someone has a problem, someone critises what they did, when the op tries to explain their actions as they feel the opinion is fairly prejudice, and then the op gets critised more for defending their actions:confused:

But I do agree some people cannot see the truth either.

So i guess it works both ways, either the op cant see the truth or some repliers cant see the truth. Thats the thing about forums, its in typing and nobody actually knows exatly what happened. As long as you bear that in mind when you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PI is not entirely about the Hugs and Poor-Me's. Many OP's need a good cold dose of reality.

You can only stroke an Alcoholic's ego so long, for instance, before you need to tell them to piss or get off the pot.

In my experience PI threads are locked if they get off topic - like when someone fancies there cousin or has an abortion and it turns into a moral debate, no longer actually addressing the OP's Issue. Nothing wrong with critiquing these kinds of OP's as long as you stay on the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Theres no way you could bring in a rule like that. Sure some threads can make you feel like its needed but would one rule cover all threadds in this case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No probably not, which is why its not locked in a rule. It leaves it up to Moderator Perogative which is going to be much more ideal in the nature of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

People can be given "tough" advice in a compassionate, understanding manner too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Making such a call as a mod is a subjective action - and that's something we try to avoid as much as possible.

People are entitled to their opinion and, generally, the majority consensus in a thread is right. Now, that's not to say that things don't get carried away at times, and it's our job as mods to calm the tide.

But overall in PI, the right advice is given. It may not always be palatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Dudess wrote: »
    People can be given "tough" advice in a compassionate, understanding manner too though.

the op isn't talking about advice, imo.

Advice is a series of steps the person with the problem can take to resolve the problem.

What the OP is talking about is the scenario where someone says "I've done something stupid" and everybody goes "how the hell could you be so stupid?"

that's not advice, all that does is discourage others who may be reading from sharing their experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

tbh wrote: »
    What the OP is talking about is the scenario where someone says "I've done something stupid" and everybody goes "how the hell could you be so stupid?"

that's not advice, all that does is discourage others who may be reading from sharing their experiences.

That is an issue with the forum atm, PI doesn't have a community like other forums and we have had a huge number of new people posting on the forum whom seem to think this is acceptable.

We get waves of new contributors and some gork the forum and the rules and some do not and with the mods not able to be omnipresent such regrettable trends can happen and posters seem to think it is acceptable and then have a spazz attack when the mods do see it and call them on it.

We are having to educate more and more people in greater numbers as to the nature of the forum and many of them seem to think they have the god given right to express what ever it is they think about the situation rather then being helpful.

The best way posters can help is to report posts, we have more pi/ri mods then ever but we still need people to report posts and constructive feedback is always welcomed, so thanks matt-dublin for starting this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

No problem, im willing to volunteer my services if necessary (work in IT so on the internet all day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

No problem, im willing to volunteer my services if necessary (work in IT so on the internet all day!)

I'm not even 24 hours modding it but like others have said the best thing regular users can do is report posts they believe breach the charter. It makes modding a busy forum alot easier.

Advertisement