Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loin of pork

Options
  • 11-02-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Having some people over for dinner on Saturday. I bought a massive loin of pork I was thinking of slow roasting or braising.

Have you any ideas? Would be partial to an Asian theme.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

What you could do is marinate the pork, in garlic, ginger, chilli, soya sauce, seasame oil, and honey.

then roast it in the oven, keep baisting the meat with the marinate, serve it with soba noodle with stir fried bok choi and shikake mushrooms and the roasting juices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Oh hell yea!! That sounds good. Should I brown it before roasting? Is that do-able with it having been in the marinade?

Also, it has the skin in it. Should I remove it?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Swampy wrote: »
    Oh hell yea!! That sounds good. Should I brown it before roasting? Is that do-able with it having been in the marinade?

Also, it has the skin in it. Should I remove it?

Thanks.

what you should do is score the skin before you mariade it, so the skin will be really crispy, also the mariade will thicken and be really sticky around it, and be really tasty

dont bother browning it first, just put it in a really hot oven,then after 30 minutes turn it down to 180, and keep baisting it every so often, just so the mariate will stick to the pork

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made slow cooker char siu before LINK and it was really good. Although the recipe is for shoulder I used loin. If you don't have a slow cooker you can cover it and cook it in the oven on a very low heat.

Great, thanks for all the help. I'll go for the Char Siu marinade with a few other bits thrown in. I'll marinade it overnight and cook it on saturday. Might go for a slow 4 hour cook. If i go for the 4 hour cook, what temp should I go to after the initial 30 mins at hot?

By the way for anyone living near D15, I got a massive 5.2kg loin of pork in Brannigans wholesale counter in Rosemount Industrial Estate for €24 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If the loin is huge and needs a long cooking time, I would avoid adding the honey to the marinade early on - it might burn. Add it to the juices about 40 minutes before the end of cooking time.

Ok will do. Don't plan on using the whole loin. Might go for half of it. Thanks for the tip.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Swampy wrote: »
    If i go for the 4 hour cook, what temp should I go to after the initial 30 mins at hot?

I'd turn it down to 160C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

At 33 minutes per 500g + 30 minutes for pork loin, I reckon you're done in 3 hours for half that joint.

Advertisement