Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J.N.L.R day

• 11-02-2010 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any news on listenership figures??????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I saw one of the guys from 98 saying the breakfast show hasn't budged from the top. What demographic that is in I'm not entirely sure though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Last Words decline seems to have come at the hands of The Right Hook rather than Drivetime if memory serves me correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

It is a concern for Today FM that The Last Word is shedding listeners although as they keep saying they have twice the number of 20-44 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

WTF - cough splutter cough - WHO THE FCUK - cough splutter cough is boosting Miss Marion's figures :confused:

WHOEVER THE FCUK you are S]cough[/S] splutter cough
    please stop
    she doesn't deserve you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Does anyone know how Tom Dunne did, couldn't see individual presenters on that report. Saw somewhere that D'Arcy shed 10,000 listeners. Brings a little smile to the face that does :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

patrickc wrote: »

do you have a link that shows a breakdown of particular shows ?

Cheers

Irish times say Hook up 9,000, Morning Ireland and Sean o' rourke down slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

From some paper:
    RTÉ maintained its dominance of the national airwaves during 2009 according to the latest Joint National Listenership Research results, although its pop station 2FM continues to lose audiences.

However, all RTÉ Radio 1’s top presenters recorded some of the biggest year-on-year gains of recent years across its daytime and weekend schedules.

Ryan Tubridy, turned in one of the most impressive performances with the Late Late Show presenter gaining 48,000 listeners for his weekday radio show over the past 12 months to reach an average audience of 363,000 – an annual increase in excess of 15%.

Pat Kenny also grew his listener base by 11% – up 34,000 to 339,000, while Ronan Collins’ midday show attracted 25,000 new listeners to reach 230,000 – up 12%.

Marian Finucane continued to record strong audience figures for her two weekend programmes with her Sunday show gaining 40,000 new fans to reach a total audience of 337,000. Her Saturday show also grew by more than 7% to an average of 381,000 listeners.

RTÉ’s managing director of radio, Claire Duignan, said Radio 1’s average weekday reach had exceeded 900,000 for the first time in many years. She also expressed satisfaction that the JNLR figures indicated that changes to the station’s evening time schedule with new sport, arts and music programming were being welcomed by radio listeners.

However, the strong performance by Radio 1’s main broadcasters during 2009, masked a slight fall in the final quarter among listeners to current affairs programmes including Morning Ireland, News at One and Drivetime.

In contrast, 2FM continues to suffer a fall-off in listeners with Gerry Ryan’s show the station’s only programme to break into the Top 20 broadcasts in the Republic.

Although Ryan has seen a 3.2% fall-off in listenership during 2009, his audience rose slightly in the last quarter with an average figure of 307,000 – down from 317,000 at the start of the year.

The station’s morning show presenters, Colm and Jim Jim lost almost 40,000 listeners as their audience fell by 19% to 157,000.

2FM’s main national rival, Today FM, fared little better as the independent station saw two of its best-known presenters, Ian Dempsey and Matt Cooper suffer double-digit declines in their listenership figures, while the station’s most popular show hosted by Ray D’Arcy also recorded a 2.5% reduction in listeners – down 10,000 to 236,000.

Today FM presenter Ray Foley bucked the trend, growing his audience by almost 2% during 2009 to 168,000, although he lost 7,000 listeners in the last quarter.

The station’s chief executive officer, Willie O’Reilly, said some of the fall-off in listeners was due to a reduction in the number of people commuting to work. However, he expressed satisfaction that Today FM remained the most popular station among 20-44 year-olds.

Newstalk 106-108FM turned in a good performance with its overall number of daily listeners increasing by 16% over the past year – up 38,000 to 268,000.

The station’s drivetime show hosted by George Hook recorded an annual increase of 27% – up 26,000 to an all-time high of 121,000.

Eamon Keane’s lunchtime programme also increased listenership by 15% over the past 12 months, although it has not grown its audience of 68,000 over the past three months.

The Breakfast Show hosted by Claire Byrne and Ivan Yates suffered a slight drop in audiences over the last quarter, although their show has boosted its listenership by 13% in the past 12 months. Newstalk’s chief executive, Frank Cronin, noted the latest JNLR figures showed the station had made strong gains in regions outside of Dublin.

Overall, all the main national stations including Lyric FM maintained their existing audience reach with the sole exception of 2FM which fell by 1%.

Donegal’s Highland Radio remains the most popular local radio station in the country with more than 65% of its market share.

The multi-city station 4FM, which came on air last February, is struggling to gain listeners in a highly competitive market – attracting a market share of just 1.4%.

In Dublin, FM104 remains the capital’s favourite station ahead of 98FM and Q102.

In Cork, 96FM and Red FM showed no major changes to existing audience figures.

If anyone knows, can you tell me, Spin 1038's daytime show's (Fully Charged, Zoo Crew and Lock In) figures, Red Fm's Morning show's and Dublin's 98 morning show?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Newstalk usual propaganda piece...

http://www.newstalk.ie/press-releases/our-george-sticks-and-wins-up-27/

For the first time Off The Ball isn't mentioned in it, which must mean they are down and RTE's Sport at 7 is having an effect.

Changes from last November...

Right Hook up 9,000

Breakfast Show down 1,000

Moncrieff up 2,000

Dunne no change

Keane no change

OTB N/A

I wonder will Ivan Yates, the ex-politician that he is, conveniently forget that he is on record saying - "I'm a great believer in 'cut the bull****, show me the figures'. I am either making a contribution to Newstalk or it's not working. I will let the listeners decide."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Ryan Tubridy +11,000
    Ray D'Arcy -10,000

Is this a shift of 10,000 people from D'Arcy to Tubridy ?

The mind boggles :eek: !

2FM could be in a strange position if this continues, its traditionaly been able to cover all its costs through advertising so not cost RTE a penny which in the real world should have meant it was a prime candidate for selling off at a decent profit but now its listership is ebbing away with every survey its not going to turn a profit but would also be hard to sell at a useful price. Also if pop pap isn't selling then shouldn't the whole nature of the station be reconsidered?

JNLR WEEKDAY REACH FIGURES
    January – December 2005
    RTÉ 2FM - 21

January 2006-December 2006
    RTÉ 2FM - 18

October 2006 – September 2007
    RTÉ 2FM - 18

April 2008 – March 2009
    RTE 2FM - 16

JANUARY 2009 – DECEMBER 2009
    RTE 2FM - 15

The numbers are only going one way.

TarfHead wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy +11,000
    Ray D'Arcy -10,000

Is this a shift of 10,000 people from D'Arcy to Tubridy ?

The mind boggles :eek: !

Tubridy's awesome. I'm not surprised in the least!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

How are JNLR figures calculated? Who pays for the data?

Poly wrote: »
    How are JNLR figures calculated? Who pays for the data?

TNS/mrbi carries out the research for the JNLR Committee, which is made up of representatives from the broadcasting and advertising industry (RTE, Today fm, BAI, IAPI). The research is then passed on to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, who publish it.

I'm not sure how the data is collected, I assume a sample of people keep a log of what radio shows they listen to.

I'm just curious, I presume you would have a wider demographic spread here on boards.ie and in general G.Ryan, Tubridy, Ray darcy seem to get slated, the JNLR figures don't proportionally reflect this.
    I wonder how accurate these and the TV ratings can be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

I'm just curious, I presume you would have a wider demographic spread here on boards.ie and in general G.Ryan, Tubridy, Ray darcy seem to get slated, the JNLR figures don't proportionally reflect this.
    I wonder how accurate these and the TV ratings can be?

there is a couple of hundred posts on the radio forum about darcy,tubridy and ryan yet there is about what,a 500,000 listening to the radio at their times who tune into the 3 big stations.
    Whats written about them here has little or no relevance to the general public.Similar situation to critics of chick flicks,hated by critics,loved by the public

raven136 wrote: »
    there is a couple of hundred posts on the radio forum about darcy,tubridy and ryan yet there is about what,a 500,000 listening to the radio at their times who tune into the 3 big stations.
    Whats written about them here has little or no relevance to the general public.Similar situation to critics of chick flicks,hated by critics,loved by the public

Nah, critics and movies, I don't think are comparable, Movies are easily quantified by box office takings. So how do we verify 500,000?

I don't know anyone who listens to G.Ryan (family, friends, work).
    Maybe I'm lucky and live in a world where G.ryan does not feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Nah, critics and movies, I don't think are comparable, Movies are easily quantified by box office takings. So how do we verify 500,000?

I don't know anyone who listens to G.Ryan (family, friends, work).
    Maybe I'm lucky and live in a world where G.ryan does not feature.

I imagine the boards.ie deographic is very unrepresentative of the country at large. I would guess we skew young, male, urban, office-job, and university-educated.

I imagine the boards.ie deographic is very unrepresentative of the country at large. I would guess we skew young, male, urban, office-job, and university-educated.

apart from being male, I don't fit any of the above,
    middle age, non-urban, self employed, under-educated but extremely handsome:D

Edit: and modest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Id like to know this as well, how accurate these figures are, I feel there could be a few question marks over some of the results, They can hardly survey every person in the country and ask what station do you listen to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

"At 2FM, Gerry Ryan almost fell out of the top 10 in spite of adding 2,000 listeners"

Wonderful news...he hasnt got long left.
    The 2000 additional listeners are myself and the contributors to the Gerry Ryan megathread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

They can hardly survey every person in the country and ask what station do you listen to
    they dont need to. Ever heard of representative sampling?

Degsy wrote: »
    "At 2FM, Gerry Ryan almost fell out of the top 10 in spite of adding 2,000 listeners"

Wonderful news...he hasnt got long left.
    The 2000 additional listeners are myself and the contributors to the Gerry Ryan megathread.

Jaysus Degsy you really hate him don't ya? haha.

I don't listen to him, but when I do I enjoy it.

Very surprised to see Off The Ball lose 6,000 listeners and with Sport@7 doing well so far might RTE extend the show to an hour?. Newstalk Breakfast should be piling on the listeners at this stage and not dropping by 1,000 the CEO must be worried at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Are many stations still undermining the survey results using the "Cash on the Streets" technique ?

6,000, thats a 14% drop. Setanta showing a half hour of the show, twice daily, might have an effect next time round...but if Sport at 7 goes to an hour. OTB was Newstalks only real ratings success story, worrying times alright.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Are many stations still undermining the survey results using the "Cash on the Streets" technique ?

What's that about?

What's that about?

Station runs a promo that says that their representatives are on the streets, and that "if anyone asks you what radio station you listen to, say XXXXXXX" and we'll give you €100.....

Listener wanders down the street, and is asked by the JNLR pollster. Thinks it might be the staton rep, and answers accordingly.

Yes, they obviously listen "enough" to have heard the promo, but would it be their number one answer otherwise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭dixierip

I'm surprised with Tubridys huge bounce. Show can be very hit and miss. Maybe its success is due to it being scheduled straight after morning Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Just a question please.

Has anyone here ever been asked, or has anyone here got family or firends who have told then they were asked to answer questions about what radio shows they listen to - or for that matter, what political party or party leader they approve of?

I'd swear there JNLR, MRBI etc polls are not as scientific as they'd like you to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Just a question please.

Has anyone here ever been asked, or has anyone here got family or firends who have told then they were asked to answer questions about what radio shows they listen to - or for that matter, what political party or party leader they approve of?

I'd swear there JNLR, MRBI etc polls are not as scientific as they'd like you to think.
    :eek: --- :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

dh0661 wrote: »
    :eek: --- :confused:

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

dixierip wrote: »
    I'm surprised with Tubridys huge bounce. Show can be very hit and miss. Maybe its success is due to it being scheduled straight after morning Ireland.

And then again it could be that more people like his show and listen to it, or it could be that some people who have seen him on the Late late show decided to tune in to the radio show also, or it could be due to the seemingly never ending amount of advertising ORETE done for his show...

His show was scheduled after morning ireland before the bounce too......

Its JNLR day today (albeit at week late due to you know what)

Set phazers to spin.

Radiowaves says they delayed it a week out of respect for Gerry Ryan. And If they said it, it's true!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

Let me be the first to announce that The 90s Network is THE number 1 listened to online radio station in the Dublin market.(well we all have to put some spin on our figures!!!)

This is tongue in cheek BTW!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Fago! wrote: »
    Radiowaves says they delayed it a week out of respect for Gerry Ryan. And If they said it, it's true!

To clarify, a lone poster on the Radiowaves message board offered this opinion. It has not appeared anywhere else on the site.

I have no reason to disbelieve the poster in question, and it may well turn out to be correct, but as Radiowaves news pages are generally regarded as a decent source of factual radio information, (being a compilation of official press releases and media stories) it's misleading to state that one persons currently uncorroborated opinion on a site-affiliated message board is tantamount to saying that the site itself actually "said it".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Just a question please.

rest assured that the JNLR is done on a very acceptable and scientific sample. It is representative of each franchise area - geographically and denographically. Because it's a sample, it's unlikely that you will have been or will know somebody who has been surveyed.

If you go to the IPSOS site you'll find information on the methodology:

http://www.info.ipsosmrbi.com/jnlr/methodology

There are many methods of radio research - all will have pros and cons.

The JNLR was delayed by a week owing to the funeral of Gerry Ryan that was likely to occur on the day of the planned release. It was felt that it was not a goot time to celebrating the cause of radio. I don't think that there is any surprise or secret in this.
    Liam Byrne wrote:

I know of no station that is doing this. If you do, let us know as all stations have signed up to not carrying out this type of activity. Also the JNLR is an in-home survey and is not carried out in the street. The JNLR staff identify themselves as market researchers when they call.

BrianD wrote: »
    I know of no station that is doing this. If you do, let us know as all stations have signed up to not carrying out this type of activity.

Fair enough.....that's why I asked if any station was still doing it.

Anyway onto the actual numbers, these lifted from the Irish Times

http://www.bai.ie/pdfs/20100513_JNLR_Apr09-Mar10)AR.doc
    The JNLR/Ipsos mrbi survey showed that the most popular programmes Morning Ireland , and Liveline lost 19,000 and 10,000 listeners respectively during that period. Broadcasters such as Ryan Tubridy, Pat Kenny and the late Gerry Ryan all lost listeners, but Mr Ryan's programme held its place as the tenth most listened to show.

Marian Finucane, on the other hand, gained 1,000 listeners for her Saturday morning show and 4,000 listeners for her Sunday show. Her Sunday show moved up one place in the top ten to sixth place, passing out Pat Kenny's daily current affairs show in the process.

There was also good news for the radio highlights show Playback presented by Ruth Buchanan and The Business , presented by John Murray with both showing a rise in ratings.

The Drivetime show lost 7,000 listeners, while its Today FM rival, The Last Word fared worse, losing 9,000 listeners. Today FM's most listened to presenter, Ray D'Arcy, lost 5,000 listeners over that period while Newstalk's George Hook lost 3,000.

National weekday reach figures
    RTÉ Radio 1 at 25% (-1)
    RTÉ 2FM 15% (unch)
    Today FM at 14% (-1)
    Newstalk at 7% (-1)
    RTÉ Lyric Fm 3% (unch)

National weekday market share
    RTÉ Radio 1 at 22.9% (-0.5)
    RTÉ 2FM at 9.7% (-0.4),
    Today FM at 9.6% (-0.3)
    Newstalk at 3.9% (-0.1).
    RTÉ Lyric FM 1.6% (unch)

4FM is on a miserable 1.5% of 7am - 7pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

How does this even apply when an interviewer calls to the house, they don't survey on the street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

I was questioned on radio listenership about two years ago by a pollster in Glasnevin. Also got cold called by a person doing the survey by telephone in the Christmas period last year although this turned out to be for a specific station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

mike65 wrote: »
    National weekday market share
    RTÉ Radio 1 at 22.9% (-0.5)
    RTÉ 2FM at 9.7% (-0.4),
    Today FM at 9.6% (-0.3)
    Newstalk at 3.9% (-0.1).
    RTÉ Lyric FM 1.6% (unch)

4FM is on a miserable 1.5% of 7am - 7pm

Can someone explain to me how the national market share is down for every station? I can understand that less people are listening to radio, but surely the stations should still add up to 100%. Nowhere have I seen reports of any station increasing it's market share, is there a magic invisible (inaudible maybe) station that is taking all the extras?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Can someone explain to me how the national market share is down for every station? I can understand that less people are listening to radio, but surely the stations should still add up to 100%. Nowhere have I seen reports of any station increasing it's market share, is there a magic invisible (inaudible maybe) station that is taking all the extras?

Could people be tuning into local radio..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Galway Bay FM up 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

People are going to their local stations. Also the new regionals have been growing in every JNLR... Spin SW, the two Is... so they will be taking listeners from Today and 2FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The market share is a measure of the share of minutes listened. So when you add all the radio minutes listened Radio 1, say, has a share of 22.9% (just using the figure in the earlier post for example). It's not a "people" measure. It does not mean that 22.9% of people listen to Radio 1. The measure that you may have been looking at is just the share that national stations only have.

"Reach" e.g. daily reach (listened yesterday) is a people measure and is a duplicated measure i.e. will exceed 100%. The reason for this is that many people listen to more than one radio station per day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement