Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maura Harrington

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Looks like Miss Maura got a bit of a telling off from the judge today.

Looks like the judge told her there was only one force of law and order in this country..The Gárdaí.

No harm in my opinion, this rent a crowd lot have cost the taxpayer millions.

No correction this whole debacle has cost the taxpayer millions and once the gas is brought ashore it will still cost the taxpayers millions in lost tax revenue and having to pay market rates for our own gas.
    There are very few in this country that are going to make money out of this unless of course they happen to be Shell shareholders or possibly ex ministers.

This whole thing has been badly planned, badly handled and will only ever cost us money.
    It is yet another example of how not to go about doing infrastructure projects.
    Fcukin cow is on a state pension as well ...wasn't she a teacher ?

A little spell in the chokey might soften her cough.....

Yeah lets throw in jail anyone that has the balls to stand up or lie down for something they believe in.
    I thought we got rid of the Brits to try and put an end to that style of rule. :rolleyes:

PS I am not SF or anything close.
    Also not a green or any monster raving Amhran Nua group.

You might not agree with her or her and her collegues methods, but by Christ they have worked in forcing changes to what was seen by many experts as an unsafe pipeline by one of the worlds biggest oil companies.

We have people on these forums always complaining that Irish people haven't done enough to get ff out of government, done enough to stop NAMA, done enough for this that and the other.
    Well maybe if we had more maura harringtons we might not have a f***ing NAMA.

Of course I am waiting for refrain that we would never get anywhere if we did have more people like her, which I admit does have a fair amount of truth to it.

I always believe that a lot of the pro development posters on these discussions are nimbys, because they are always pro development until it arrives in their backyard.
    It is always easy to say one has no problem with this pipeline or refinery, as indeed is said by a lot of people who live only a few miles away from it, seen as they are not the ones sleeping beside the bloomin thing for the next 20 years.
    there was a program on tv3 about it last night with the sunday world journo paul williams presenting it.

I would question Paul Williams objectivity in this regarding Gardaí involvment since AFAIK he sometimes is under Garda protection.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

+1, you seen the ross kemp program as well. ;)

No business has ethics especially when it has share holders. Shell is no different. I believe that if it were not for people like maura harrington the world would be in a far greater poor state.

I cannot see what the women is doing wrong in fact if i were her I would consider this thread a personal attack rather than a discussion

Saw Joey, SAW.

No business has ethics!!!

C'mon horse, back that up or get off the stage.

The facts are , facts, Joey, that the locals want the development to go ahead but bussed in people who have no connection with the place are causing trouble.

I don't know if you pay taxes Joey, I seriously doubt it, but this poster is certainly not paying for garda overtime to placate a crowd of of people who think they are the law over there.

If you pay taxes Joey, maybe you might think about how your tax take could be put to better use.

Who are these people anyway, generally unemployed, state dependent, looking for an outlet for their bile against the establishment.

Do you identify with that lot Joey??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

+1, you seen the ross kemp program as well. ;)

No business has ethics especially when it has share holders. Shell is no different. I believe that if it were not for people like maura harrington the world would be in a far greater poor state.

I cannot see what the women is doing wrong in fact if i were her I would consider this thread a personal attack rather than a discussion
    saw the doc last night. read up on the Nigeria end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Saw Joey, SAW.

No business has ethics!!!

C'mon horse, back that up or get off the stage.

The facts are , facts, Joey, that the locals want the development to go ahead but bussed in people who have no connection with the place are causing trouble.

I don't know if you pay taxes Joey, I seriously doubt it, but this poster is certainly not paying for garda overtime to placate a crowd of of people who think they are the law over there.

If you pay taxes Joey, maybe you might think about how your tax take could be put to better use.

Who are these people anyway, generally unemployed, state dependent, looking for an outlet for their bile against the establishment.

Do you identify with that lot Joey??

No business has ethics. Ray Burke and Ben Dunne should have thought you that. Yes I pay tax. I am more concerned at how my tax is wasted buying expensive computer systems for the garda that does not work.

I think my tax take could be greatly reduced if shell was forced to adopt the Norway model of paying out royalities.
    saw the doc last night. read up on the Nigeria end of things.

? Why

Still no case against this women folks. The only arguement is that unemployed people follow her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

No business has ethics. Ray Burke and Ben Dunne should have thought you that. Yes I pay tax. I am more concerned at how my tax is wasted buying expensive computer systems for the garda that does not work.

I think my tax take could be greatly reduced if shell was forced to adopt the Norway model of paying out royalities.

? Why

Still no case against this women folks. The only arguement is that unemployed people follow her.
    This is what irks me about this. Its like these people are protesting for the fun of it. Just like those in the Glen of the Downs. And I think what was brought up in last few days on radio was that the road widening actually didnt solve the problems down that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is what irks me about this. Its like these people are protesting for the fun of it. Just like those in the Glen of the Downs. And I think what was brought up in last few days on radio was that the road widening actually didnt solve the problems down that way.

its like they are or they are. i suspect people dont care because its not in there bac yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

its like they are or they are. i suspect people dont care because its not in there bac yard.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Eh ?

The original problem was a narrow road which caused a daily massive bottleneck,

The current road is a modern dual carriagway which has reduced journey times by an average of 27 %.

What problems not solved - F*%$£in mystery of the Turin Shroud ??

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jank wrote: »
    Whatever about her pension, she has a right to protest however she thinks. In fact we ALL have a right to protest. YOU have a right to go down and protest agaisnt the protesters if you so wish.
    I am anything but a hard leftie but they have rights END OF!

They have a right to PEACEFULL protest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hmmmm ?

Let's look at that position in a little more detail shall we ?

Let's take Motorways - a subject always close to the heart of your average crustie.

Now me and my 50 or so crustie friends think the speed limits on Motorways is too high.

A danger to life and limb we say and quote the relevant statistics.

So we take ourselves orf to the M50 and hold a sit down protest on the South bound carriagway at 9am...completely block the road so we do .....and inconvenience thousands of commuters who do not realise that we are only doing this to protect them.

We get hauled away...but we KNOW we are RIGHT and come back the next day and repeat the exercise.

One old snaggle headed biddy - delighted that at least some excitement and notoriety has come into her life - clocks a Garda Inspector - and is an instant celebrity - on Radio and TV - people recognise her, canvass her opinion..suddenly she is "someone" the darling of the tree hugging / sandal wearing /muesli chomping "alternatives.

This is much better than a boring old teaching job so she packs it in..supported by a generous state pension and gathers additional followers mostly supported by generous state social welfare.

They continue to clog up the M50 - and continue to cause the state millions in unnecessary expenditure and lost opportunity cost.

But she has a right to protest - we agreed that......didn't we.??

Thats a great little story for your little brain but if it were so true why hasnt it happened? By all means go and do it but you will be the only one there pal. Comparing the above with the shell to sea is raving lunatic stuff and totally avoids the questions at hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement