Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Feedback.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Guys, just to clarify for hopefully the last time.

We are only cutting chat from the KYL thread.

The 'What made you xyz' thread, the nangers bar thread etc, are there for chat specifically. I believe out of most forums on boards, we provide MORE threads for chat, as most only have one off-topic thread.

All other threads will be expected to remain on-topic, and posters will be expected to post on-topic, otherwise it's not a forum, its a chatroom.
    You wouldn't be allowed do it on most other forums on boards, so it's unfair to expect us to allow it here.

Perhaps the confusion comes from people not seeing deleted posts. People read a thread on a topic and see nothing wrong with it, as the off-topic banter has usually been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Novella wrote: »
    What I meant by that was, many of the major contributers of TLL simply post a lot in the 'What made you smile' etc. thread. Ok, so their posts might not be 'quality' but I just don't think it's fair to make anyone feel that they're not 'worthy' of posting in this forum.

I mean, if we are talking of limiting all chat simply to chat threads, we are going to lose these posters on that basis and personally, I think that's sad. The 'What made you smile' thread is a gem, I think. I'm just using it as an example, but I do think it'd be a shame to ban chat from it.

I'm not saying I think threads descending into personal conversation is a good thing, by any means. I just think there has to be some sort of middle ground.

But can you not acknowledge what a yawn it is to read personal chat to anyone but the few people doing it?

Who wants to intrude on a personal conversation by posting in a thread thats basically about the same few people?

I don't see how most of the personal chat can be considered a contribution since its only of interest to one or two of that posters friends who can't be pushed to msn each other or think its interesting enough to post publicly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Giselle wrote: »
    But can you not acknowledge what a yawn it is to read personal chat to anyone but the few people doing it?

Who wants to intrude on a personal conversation by posting in a thread thats basically about the same few people?

I don't see how most of the personal chat can be considered a contribution since its only of interest to one or two of that posters friends who can't be pushed to msn each other or think its interesting enough to post publicly.

I wasn't referring to chat between particular posters. I meant, if someone, anyone, posted that they'd had a bad day or whatever, it'd suck if no one could show them any support.

I thought what was being proferred was the idea of banning chat from all threads. Silverfish has cleared that up, and the issue is just banning chat from KYL, which I have no problem with whatsoever.

Honestly, I don't really have any issues with TLL at all. I probably do tend to chat a bit, but it was never limited to users who I know IRL. I also don't feel I'm a culprit for dragging the more serious threads off-topic. While I do understand where people are coming from here, I just felt I needed to stand up for the minority because I don't think it'd be nice to have anyone feel like they are an annoyance in the forum. That's all, I'm not arguing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I do agree with Novella, to a point. We should have scope to keep everyone happy. I like the community feel that comes from the chat threads. Everyone knows each other, people pop in and say ive had a bad day and there is always someone there to give a shoulder. Yeah a lot of people think its crappy but there are some posters, who are part of all aspects for the forum, serious and banter threads.

We have room for everyone but as said we need a balance, and we also need the lads to stop dragging the more serious threads off topic, which they do. Take the WAGS thread of example. Taken off topic within a few posts and, if im wrong i will apologise, by a guy. If you have nothing to contribute to a serious topic do not post in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

If people simply want to chat would they not be better off just using a chatroom? There's loads of ppl
    going on about chatting but a forum
    & a chatroom are not the same thing. & IMO it's that chat that makes it very cliqueish & offputting for new (& old) users because there's so much of it everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

And thats why we are trying to keep it to specific threads, at the end of the day we are trying to create a community feeling here too, and there is going to be chat. It will not be gotten rid of all together. Like i said with the serious thread same applies to the chat threads, if you dont like them dont click on them!

BUT

we will be keeping a tighter rein on threads making sure they do not end up in idle chat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Only contributing since I was asked to by a mod. Created enough of a sh¡t storm last time that boring friday night whining about the KYL thread. :)

General feedback - main issue for me would be certain posters not respecting the forum for what it is and hounding (for want of a better word) women to attend beers, or lavishing them with praise for everyday mundane things. It smacks of pervyness. I feel weirded out by it and I'm a guy, it frustrates me in some respects also as other guys like myself may be tarred with the same brush.

It is one of the reasons why I didn't want to attend the beers tonight, didn't want the general populace i.e women thinking I'm coming along just to try score or have a wee perv.

Maybe I'm just being a bit too sensitive and the women here have no issue with it. If that is the case feel free to slap me about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Will wrote: »
    Only contributing since I was asked to by a mod. Created enough of a sh¡t storm last time that boring friday night whining about the KYL thread. :)

General feedback - main issue for me would be certain posters not respecting the forum for what it is and hounding (for want of a better word) women to attend beers, or lavishing them with praise for everyday mundane things. It smacks of pervyness. I feel weirded out by it and I'm a guy, it frustrates me in some respects also as other guys like myself may be tarred with the same brush.

It is one of the reasons why I didn't want to attend the beers tonight, didn't want the general populace i.e women thinking I'm coming along just to try score or have a wee perv.

Maybe I'm just being a bit too sensitive and the women here have no issue with it. If that is the case feel free to slap me about the place.

Totally agree with your post Will. I agree 100%. I also don't want to be tarred with the same brush as the more "pervy" (for want of a better word) posters.

Also, i'm in the same boat as you regarding the beers tonight. But decided last night that I may aswell go tonight. All i'm looking for tonight is a good night out, with new people and i'm hoping that is what everybody is also looking for

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hell I am a pervert and I agree with Will. :) I think we're getting the balance more right than wrong of late though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

In rather hilarious fashion I am being hypocritical and attending the beers tonight as I wanna see some friends who I only meet at beers, and well have a few drinks :pac:

edit and yeah fair play to the mods, they're getting the balance right and combatting stuff like i've mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

nothing really bugs me one

thing blokes who come in post a pic....

and contrabute F*** all.

other then that its nice place to be makes me feel like im wrapped on cottinwool :D....

I dont think id go bearing in a tll group stuation cause I is shy.... to be honest if your mail and worried about being proceaved as a pervert..... dont you know you post in here enough to warrent going.......

also can we get a face palm smiley?:)

In rather hilarious fashion, I'm going to the beers for the pervs!

Ah no, seriously, I'm with Will on this one too. If there is anything I find off-putting, it is how eager some of the male posters are to talk to... well, anything with a vagina. I would have a chat with anyone, but there is a time and a place for it.

I'm not complaining about the male posters, hell no, far from it. It's just sometimes... Well, sometimes things can be a little uncomfortable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Hi Will. *Waves*

Yes I was guilty of hounding people to go to beers, but not just women, men too. I was reprimanded for it and quickly stopped.

General feedback: I must applaud the modration of this forum. The mods do good work, are quick to react and are firm but fair.

As for the off topics, if you've nothing constructive to say in the serious threads, don't say anything. I'm no doubt guilty of this in the past, for which I'm sorry.

The KYL thread no chat, at first I disagreed with the mods, but then looked at it from their point of view and realised that really is the best call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

nothing really bugs me one

thing blokes who come in post a pic....

and contrabute F*** all.
    Well, as I've been more or less snowbound the past few days and have had way too much free time on my hands, I went and looked through some of the older NYL posts. I did notice the same trend that Snow-Monkey mentions. There are women who do it as well. Some of them appear to have posted multiple pictures of themselves, yet I don't recall ever seeing them post anything else at all on TLL forum. Then you can see where several users thank the picture and/or make comments about it. And, again, in many cases they are user names which don't seem to appear in any other TLL posts.

On one hand, I suppose it's harmless. Then again, what is the point of that? Is that really what this particular forum is about?

I'm going to assume that no one has any "pervy" intentions...Still, in some ways that thread becomes just a place to host images for the whole site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Stella777 wrote: »
    I went and looked through some of the older NYL posts. I did notice the same trend that Snow-Monkey mentions. There are women who do it as well. Some of them appear to have posted multiple pictures of themselves
    That's what I find a bit weird and creepy about that thread. If you open that thread and go through it, you are guaranteed to see the same posters putting up picture after picture of themselves. Every couple of pages you'll have another one of them sitting in front of their PC or pulling a different face.

The chat was off-putting alright. It definitely is very cliquey at times. And I see where some posters are coming from when they say they'd miss the banter. But that's banter between a handful of people. Everyone else reading the thread is probably thinking "Oh, well they all know each other, not much point in me posting here so."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Can't say I have any major concerns of the forum,I dont really go on the Know your loungers thread and I definatly dont feel perved on by any of the male posters on here at all!I think the majority of guys that poster on here know and respect the ethos of the Ladies Lounge.

I think Id like to see a general chat thread though stickied again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I feel weirded out by it and I'm a guy, it frustrates me in some respects also as other guys like myself may be tarred with the same brush.

Exactly why I dont post in this forum anymore.I used to love posting here,there was good banter,you could talk about serious stuff and have a laugh too but its now at the stage that I simply am not comfortable contributing to threads because I feel like people are looking over my shoulder.
    And FWIW the mods here have never been anything but exceptional and are arguably the best group of mods on the whole site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I agree with the decision that was made. As most other people have said, quoting posts and "chat" in the KYL thread was creating cliques, making people gag because of the cheesy comments and it was dragging the purpose of the thread off topic.

However, I don't think it's fair to say that people who post pictures in the thread are attention seekers. IMO, if someone wants to post a photo of themselves, they should be free to do so without being called an attention whore.
    It's not always the case and it's unfair to label or judge someone, purely based on the fact they've uploaded some pictures of themselves to the thread.
    Unless the photos are overtly sexual or OTT, I don't think there's much of a problem.

I'd just like to add that I'm glad to see certain posters who left TLL back again and it's nice to see a rise in newcomers too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

dfx- wrote: »
    Are the chatty people allowed to be annoyed at the serious threads so? Making them leave by restricting chat...is that on? There seems to be an impression that serious threads = good and chat = bad - especially from your post. I think that's wrong..

Why does it always have to come down to this rubbish of serious Vs fun? There is no mention of the word serious in the post you quoted there so I'm afraid you have missed the point completely. If restricting chat in threads that it has no place in makes people leave then I say "don't let the door hit you on the way out". If all you can contribute to the forum is chat with your friends...well..
    dfx- wrote:
    And what I'm arguing is that the off-topic chat does not affect your ability to post a serious post and certainly its negative effect is being waaay over-stated. Think of normal conversation. Are you more likely to discuss meaty issues with complete strangers or people you feel welcomed by and feel you know better. Normal conversation drifts from subject to subject, perhaps for a while. it is a standard course for any conversation.

As Silverfish has already said, this is not a chat room. We're not having one big conversation. Threads have specific topics and nobody here should be expected to wade through pages of off-topic waffle to get to the actual discussion on the thread title. In fairness, you've been on boards long enough to know how this works. Your argument appears disingenuous at best tbh.

For me personally, it doesn't matter if the thread has a frivilous or serious subject matter...I still don't want to listen to the same 4 or 5 people talking shít between themselves that is entirely irrelevant to the thread and to those reading it that aren't in their little clique. I don't care that they're friends. Genuinely, I don't. This is not their private chat room. As Boston pointed out, chances are most people here use facebook/bebo/twitter/myspace (delete as appropriate) and can have their chats that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

The only thing that annoys me about TLL is that men and women usually argue in completely different ways. Majority of women are maybe more emotional in their thinking process, and men maybe more logical and fact based. I don't know but the gender prespectives can really upset the balance of a thread.

When a topic about a subject that is particularly about something relating to women, or looking for womens opinions or is offensive to women in general, some male posters come putting their oar in. Generally drag it off topic, or stir it up, or put in ridiculous posts and just can not comprehend some of the women's opinions.

Like most men are never gonna understand why women get upset over a "joke" about women in the kitchen because it doesn't apply to them. They aren't in that scenario. I come in looking for opinons from other girls. I dunno, it's not really a "Ladie's Lounge" in here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Are you really arguing against logic and facts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Like most men are never gonna understand why women get upset over a "joke" about women in the kitchen because it doesn't apply to them. They aren't in that scenario. I dunno, it's not really a "Ladie's Lounge" in here...
    I totally get what your trying to say, there are just some topics that guys just cannot fit into well.

but i think it's wrong opening up this "it's not really a ladies' lounge in here" debate again.

it wasn't too long ago that there was another feedback thread that turned pretty nasty and the above was the centre point of the argument.

hey maybe again i'm wrong, maybe it's because i'm a guy as you say, but this place got over and beyond that last feedback thread and i was wondering how long into this thread before it would come back up and i'd hate to see this thread go down that route again.

Boston wrote: »
    Are you really arguing against logic and facts?

YESS!!! FINALLY! We're women, that's what we do!

:p

I see. I feel you're wrong but I can't tell you why or guarantee that my viewpoint won't change randomly.

On the issue of men in the forum, I gather from the latest beers thread that the majority of those in attendance were male - overwhelmingly so it seems. I have to be honest and say that this is the reason I don't go to the beers. Now I'm not shy, I've been on this site for 8 years and have been to numerous beers, however, the ladies lounge is a 'safe' place for women to post and I feel that the beers should be the same. Instead its a load of fellas and very few of the girls.

I know that Jules has proposed a girls only event and I fully support this. I reckon if we can have a few meet ups with just the ladies, particularly those that may be put off by the high number of men posting on the forum or who have simply never been to a beers before and are a bit wary, then they might feel comfortable enough to come to a main beers where the boys would be welcome.

I am however slightly dubious as to how some of the male posters will take that and I genuinely hope it would be respected and they would stay away. This is meant to be a forum for the girls, with the lads welcome of course, but ultimately it's the Ladies Lounge. I think that is forgotten sometimes. (Sorry Creamy Goodness, if that opens an unwelcome can of worms but I'm referring more to the beers as I have no issue with men posting here.)

Right, I'll stop now :)

• Advertisement

i for one totally support the female only beers.

think there may be some organisational issues you all will have to get over but feck it go for it sounds like great fun.

also wasn't there whispers of a cinema night after this beers? sounds like a good change to the beers imo. possibilities are endless, guess you just need someone to step up to the plate and organise it. best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Would agree with Chinafoot, I'm male and use to post in here a bit before as the subject matter was appealing. The Gentlemans Club is where the lads should be at if they want to discuss certain issues. Leave this place for women to agree/disagree on topics between themselves, if it's biased who cares go over to TGC and be biased there.

The picture thread is an absolute joke, same lads reposting photos of themselves over and over or complete randomers putting their photo up. FFS a LL beers and majority of men show up - seriously desperate times. If I were any of the active people in this place I'd look to have a private forum in here.

If I were any of the active people in this place I'd look to have a private forum in here.

I would love it as a hosted forum where you need to permission to view & post. But I don't think that would go down too well. :)

I would love it as a hosted forum where you need to permission to view & post. But I don't think that would go down too well. :)
    it's been there, done that, and got the t-shirt as far as i know.

it didn't end too well either.

I need to get with the times!

• Advertisement

i for one totally support the female only beers.

think there may be some organisational issues you all will have to get over but feck it go for it sounds like great fun.

also wasn't there whispers of a cinema night after this beers? sounds like a good change to the beers imo. possibilities are endless, guess you just need someone to step up to the plate and organise it. best of luck :)

You organise a women's orientated event. You organise the event in secret using on of these handy private "social groups" board's now supports.

Died a death.

You organise a women's orientated event. You organise the event in secret using on of these handy private "social groups" board's now supports.

Shouldn't have to do it in secret though. If the lads that post here respect the ethos of the forum then they'll respect the women only event.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Shouldn't have to do it in secret though. If the lads that post here respect the ethos of the forum then they'll respect the women only event.

If the lads here respected the ethos of the forum then sleaze wouldn't be an issue on this forum. You know that a few guys would still show up to a women only events.

If the lads here respected the ethos of the forum then sleaze wouldn't be an issue on this forum. You know that a few guys would still show up to a women only events.

Maybe. I don't know, I just think it would be a sad state of affairs if we have to organise a meetup in secret because fellas might show up to an event where they know they won't be welcome.

In all fairness, the guys who do attend beers are a lovely bunch and I don't think we have to worry about them not respecting a ladies only event. It's not like the problem is we have loads of random men turning up or whatever. The guys who attend beers are respected and well liked posters in this forum and I think (from what I've read from Nervous Wreck, Creamy Goodness, Will, Master of Nothing et al) that we'd have nothing but support should we decide to have a girlie night. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

We had a ladies only event before a good while back in The Poterhouse and it worked out very well, cept that Watna wanted to eat me!
    I like having the mixed male and female events but it would be nice to have one just for the ladies.

I've just found this thread and I have to say, wow.

I'm genuinely shocked that people feel the way they do about some issues. (not in a bad way, more in an "I'm enlightened" kind of way.)

I agree with the no chat in KYL. I also would +1 the removal of thanks but I see that can't be done without removing it from the forum.

I am a very regular poster, I post mostly in the happy/sad thread, I love the banter and I have made alot of friends through this thread. I have to say I haven't seen much sleeze in tLL, I genuinely haven't, maybe I'm oblivious to flirting?? I've been to two beers and the guys that I have met are far from sleezy, I have not felt in any way uncomfortable and infact felt right at ease in their company.

I fully understand and that threads should not be pulled off topic, I'm sure there are times when I do it unintentionally myself, I wasn't aware that it was such an issue for people but it makes sense that folk could feel a little alienated if everyone else seems to know each other.

I think Silverfish said it earlier, this is our forum, and we can make it great, I absolutely love the sense of community in here, I would really hope that it builds and new posters feel welcome and comfortable.

the removal of thanks is silly and should not happen.

tbh now actually after reading that people think that thanks is a way of perving/flirting i'm reluctant to thank any picture. i thanked any pictures that had wit in them or a funny back story, not because there's a pair of double d's hanging out in them.

this sucks cause i really want to thank lia_lia's invisible decks photo (only picking this one as it's quite recent) because it's full of win but i won't bother if people think i'm flirting.

the removal of thanks is silly and should not happen.

tbh now actually after reading that people think that thanks is a way of perving/flirting i'm reluctant to thank any picture. i thanked any pictures that had wit in them or a funny back story, not because there's a pair of double d's hanging out in them.

Well this is the only reason I would be in agreement with it, I wasn't aware of the fact the people felt uncomfortable with it either, I thank any pics I like and it certainly isn't to flirt or anything remotely like flirting. I certainly don't think people who thank my post are flirting/perving. Hmmm, maybe I'm too naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Well, let's also not get into a "she was asking for it" type of mindset either. Plenty of women post pics of themselves where some cleavage may be showing but it's unfair to assume (even passively) that they're just looking for attention...

sorry, havent been online the last few days, so just getting back to this now

i didnt mean to imply that its somehow ok to perve if someone has a revealing pic posted.

my point was that that thread has become a ground for *some* female posters to post a "random" pic with boobs out/provocative pout in situ, or provocative pose; these are then usually followed with a load of thanks by a few usual suspects of male posters. its all so contrived and fake looking.

it creeps me out, tbh.

for a variety of reasons, i would NEVER post a pic of myself online, on any site, but if i were inclined to do so, the thanks-whoring and perviness on that thread would put me right off.

• Advertisement

Ach, to be fair, there's not much we can do about the thanks. If people want/need that sort of validation, then let them away at it. If people don't want or need it and still get their post thanked by 50 people, well let the thankers away off with it as well.

It's a thanks button, I feel that post thanking is too vague to be construed either way.

Novella wrote: »
    In all fairness, the guys who do attend beers are a lovely bunch and I don't think we have to worry about them not respecting a ladies only event. It's not like the problem is we have loads of random men turning up or whatever. The guys who attend beers are respected and well liked posters in this forum and I think (from what I've read from Nervous Wreck, Creamy Goodness, Will, Master of Nothing et al) that we'd have nothing but support should we decide to have a girlie night. :)

This makes me wonder what the problem with men going to beers is then. Like, I have a picture in my head of horny boys pestering young ladies and the handful of girls huddled together in the corner for protection.
    this sucks cause i really want to thank lia_lia's invisible decks photo (only picking this one as it's quite recent) because it's full of win but i won't bother if people think i'm flirting.

I see what you did there. I was going to say lia_lia's picture rocked myself, but I won't in case someone thinks I've cleverly letting someone else know I think they're awesome.

This makes me wonder what the problem with men going to beers is then. Like, I have a picture in my head of horny boys pestering young ladies and the handful of girls huddled together in the corner for protection.

I see what you did there. I was going to say lia_lia's picture rocked myself, but I won't in case someone thinks I've cleverly letting someone else know I think they're awesome.

I'm not sure, but I think the problem is males who never contribute anything to the forum turning up at the beers, it does come across a little creepy if you look at it a certain way.

P.S I've checked and I've thanked more ladies pics than men's pics (and the men's pics I've thanked have had guns and tanks in 'em) and I'm definitely not flirting with them. Or trying to be sleazy.

I love you all, but not in that way :)

The problem that I would see would be ladies who want to go to a beers but want to meet other women and are put off by the fact that it seems to be more men than women who are turning up. They might not want to be sitting there with 12 fellas and 4 other ladies at a night out for The Ladies Lounge. I certainly don't.

As Jules said, there needs to be a balance and at the moment there isnt. Men are dominating and it could be putting women off going. Women only meetings might help boost the numbers for mixed events.

Silverfish wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I think the problem is males who never contribute anything to the forum turning up at the beers, it does come across a little creepy if you look at it a certain way.

I suspected as much, but I don't think these guys will respect a female only event, they'd turn up anyway.
    The problem that I would see would be ladies who want to go to a beers but want to meet other women and are put off by the fact that it seems to be more men than women who are turning up. They might not want to be sitting there with 12 fellas and 4 other ladies at a night out for The Ladies Lounge. I certainly don't.

As Jules said, there needs to be a balance and at the moment there isnt. Men are dominating and it could be putting women off going. Women only meetings might help boost the numbers for mixed events.

My suggestion would be to have a female only pre-event to the main event, such as a meal.

I suspected as much, but I don't think these guys will respect a female only event, they'd turn up anyway.

Well they wouldn't be welcome and as such would be causing a nuisance. I personally would have no problem asking someone hassling me and my friends to leave us alone on a night out. I've asked bouncers before to have a word and a night like this would be no different tbh. Thats just me though :)

My suggestion would be to have a female only pre-event to the main event, such as a meal.

Not a bad idea and I'm sure its something that would work well. We could try lots of different non-pub things to cater for everyone. In my humble opinion, a forum like this that purports to be a safe place for women posters and that wants to have a good community element to it, should focus on building that community with the women first...then the men. (If that offends anyone, so be it. Thats just how I feel about it.)

In my humble opinion, a forum like this that purports to be a safe place for women posters and that wants to have a good community element to it, should focus on building that community with the women first...then the men. (If that offends anyone, so be it. Thats just how I feel about it.)

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I won't go to another tLL beers, I have been to 3 and each time there was far more many men there then women and each time I left due to not feeling comfortable to stay, one stands out with me getting hit on by 3 guys with in 10 mins of arriving and taking my coat of. I wasn't there to be hit on or oggled I had been hoping to meet some of the women that I shared discussions with there; but male posters and the 'chatty' female posters clique seem to be the only ones who go to the beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Not quite. There are private womens' forums that are doing very well actually. And no prizes for guessing why they were set up either.

And I'd love a Ladies only beers. Even if it's just a once off, I think it'd go well.

I don't even know if it's all sleaze in here either, I think a lot of it comes across as desperation more than sleaze.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I won't go to another tLL beers, I have been to 3 and each time there was far more many men there then women and each time I left due to not feeling comfortable to stay, one stands out with me getting hit on by 3 guys with in 10 mins of arriving and taking my coat of. I wasn't there to be hit on or oggled I had been hoping to meet some of the women that I shared discussions with there; but male posters and the 'chatty' female posters clique seem to be the only ones who go to the beers.

That brings back vague memories of encountering someone at a boards beers who was obsessed with meeting you. To be honest, things like this are part of the reason why sitewide meet ups were abandoned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement