Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a way to renew my US Greencard???

• 11-02-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hi let me explain my situation, I lived in the US around the age of 4 untill about the age of 7 during that time I had a valid greencard and it was still valid for another 3 or so years after I left (we moved due to my fathers work).
    we did not sign a return form and my father contacted immigration before he left explaining that we were leaving. I'am now 19 years old and wondering is their any possible way of renewing the greencard I have a feeling it would be very diffuclt to do so or not able to at all, would the I left america without my consent argument work???, any help would be great and any advise from some one who has been in a similar situation would be priceless,

by the way I'am a Irish citizen and have a Irish passport but was born in Tunisia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

lcrcboy wrote: »
    would the I left america without my consent argument work???,

It wouldn't require your consent if you weren't an adult, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

dlofnep wrote: »
    It wouldn't require your consent if you weren't an adult, would it?

I get where your coming from there but I have heard a few storys of people using that excuse and being able to fill out forms to get there greencards renewed however I dont know how common it is to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

To keep a green card valid, you need to be a permanent legal resident of the USA, ie spend more time in the USA than out. The fact that you were a minor doesn't matter in this case, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Hmmm.

I have a horible feeling you may be all the way back at square one at this point.

But I'm no expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

lcrcboy wrote: »
    I get where your coming from there but I have heard a few storys of people using that excuse and being able to fill out forms to get there greencards renewed however I dont know how common it is to happen

An interesting angle, Its worth trying I supose, it seems fair that if you spent such formative years in the US you should get a chance to come back. You could phone the US Embassy in Dublin and talk to someone.

Another thought... I think you qualify for a US passport after being in the US for 7 years with a greencard so technically you were eligible to apply for US Citizenship at the time your GC expired. That may work in your favour.

I'd want to try and talk to someone personally at the embassy. Maybe even use an immigration lawyer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

cheers thanks for the help lads, Ill be in dublin city centre next week anyways so might try go in and inquire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You canot just visit the embassy, you'll need to make an appointment, they are very security concious. Check their website, it may give you your answer anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The best person to talk to about this kind of stuff would be either at the embassy (where as said by silja you must make an appointment) or an immigrations lawyer/officer. They are usually very helpful and will know a lot of loopholes and stuff!

Advertisement