Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking around croke park

Options
  • 11-02-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

hi guys.i am from the west and have been to croke park so many times,howerever this is the first time i have to drive there.what is the suituation with parking around that area.is there car parks?
    will be going on saturday for local club match.around 6pm
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

park at the redcow luas line and get the luas in

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

thanks a million for the reply.what are the charges for the car park at the red cow and cost of luas.never on that before.seems crazy but i normally drive everywhere.
    sounds like an easy option though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the strand house pub burned down a few weeks ago, there are two spots outside there that are there to use, its a few minutes walk from croker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

There's plenty of pay-and-display on-steet parking, for example in Mountjoy Square, which is just 200 hundred meters from Croker. On a Saturday evening, there won't be much traffic, and its just straight down the quays, left at Liberty Hall, and straight down Gardner Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

There's plenty of pay-and-display on-steet parking, for example in Mountjoy Square, which is just 200 hundred meters from Croker. On a Saturday evening, there won't be much traffic, and its just straight down the quays, left at Liberty Hall, and straight down Gardner Street.

Yes but Gardiner Street is a Clearway until 19.00. Park there at your peril. Most pay and display are up to 19.00 so be wary where you park. Clampers can be quite active especially when there are visitors about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

trad wrote: »
    Yes but Gardiner Street is a Clearway until 19.00. Park there at your peril. Most pay and display are up to 19.00 so be wary where you park. Clampers can be quite active especially when there are visitors about.

I mean, go straight down Gardiner street and you're at Mountjoy Square, (not park on Gardiner street).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

When I lived beside Croke Park, people parked in my front garden without asking! I had a few towed away.

Also, beside my house there was a very wide path and about 8-10 cars would park on it illegally. The clampers knew this as it happened every time there was a match. Easy money for them. I always got a laugh seeing the same guy come along minutes after the match started and clamping car after car.

Moral of the story...don't park anywhere you shouldn't!

If you don't mind walking a few minutes, get public transport to the city centre, walk up O'Connell street, north up Parnell street, across the canal and west to Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LIS wrote: »
    hi guys.i am from the west and have been to croke park so many times,howerever this is the first time i have to drive there.what is the suituation with parking around that area.is there car parks?
    will be going on saturday for local club match.around 6pm
    thanks in advance
    Presumably you are going to the junior and intermediate hurling finals? There shouldn't be as many road closures as there would be on big inter-county match days. There is plenty of on street parking within walking distance of Croke Park. If it's pay and display, make sure that you have paid to cover you up to when the pay and display ends. Don't inconvenience any residents in the area - they consider GAA fans to be a nusiance. Don't be tempted to park on a wide footpath - you won't get the same sympathy that you may get in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

same guy come along minutes after the match started and clamping car after car
    I think that's a bit sneaky of them. If they really were interested in promoting legal parking as they claim, they would clamp the first car there and it would act as a deterrent. But instead they wait until the match has started and clamp all around them. On match days, they also clamp vehicles in places which wouldn't be clamped on non-match days. Surely if it's illegal on a Sunday in September, it's also illegal on a Monday in March?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In fairness, given the range of events now in Croke Park, it does seem to be the GAA fans who have most trouble walking from public transport and with bladder control.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My dad just uses on-street parking in Phibsborough - it's far enough away from all the other people looking for parking, while at the same time only being about a half an hour's walk from the stadium.

Advertisement